Page 144 of 388 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 5810
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

When I hear about "pre crisis" or specifically Silver age Superman it's the decisions trumping writing, or concept trumping the execution. As a guy who loves Superman I can't say it really begins to rival Stan/Jack on one end or Herbie Popnecker on the other until maybe around the original Black Zero. It sounds like the opposite of Batman who gets by on how they manage to pull off well liked stories that take a really shallow and maybe contradictory approach to his character.

That "average man" idea doesn't really apply for Clark even if he sees himself as human first. He's considerably successful in his civilian life but is willing to leave that identity itself behind in both Exile and Death of Clark Kent, and his engagment to Lois is broken specifically because Superman isn't just a job for him. It's not like he uses some crystals or gold kryptonite to take away his powers and leave it all behind for her.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Are there any Lex Luthor fans on here? Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Lex Luthor hasn't received a proper on-screen treatment like how Chris Nolan and Heath ledger superbly tackled The Joker for The Dark Knight. Lex Luthor has been my favourite Superman character since I was child and started following Superman stories. The Joker believes in "anarchy and chaos" but Lex Luthor believes in something far more vile and disturbing and something that I'm sad to say a lot of people could get onboard with today (even though they may not be wiling to admit it): "not all human life is worth the same". However I feel that movie makers don't quite understand this character and how to bring him to the big screen and scare the s*** out of an audience. In my opinion Lex is even more frightening than The Joker; in fact it was through Lex Luthor that as a kid I discovered about the political concept of a corporatocracy.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Likewise, going in the opposite direction isn't any better.
    Not necessarily. it depends, as in all things, on the execution. And whether or not he can still be relatable in the more OTT depictions depends on who you ask. Everyone finds different things to relate to, and one doesn't have to relate to a character fully to find them interesting. It's too narrow of a way to approach any character.

The more grounded approach where he's a "relatable" guy who can fly who still has some of the mundane problems or life experiences we do is pretty boring (to some). I don't think it helps him being distinguished from the likes of Spider-Man. When I want that kind of story, I gravitate towards Peter because he's better suited for it and it's where that formula was perfected.

Quote Originally Posted by fan_of_the_messiah View Post
    Are there any Lex Luthor fans on here? Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Lex Luthor hasn't received a proper on-screen treatment like how Chris Nolan and Heath ledger superbly tackled The Joker for The Dark Knight. Lex Luthor has been my favourite Superman character since I was child and started following Superman stories. The Joker believes in "anarchy and chaos" but Lex Luthor believes in something far more vile and disturbing and something that I'm sad to say a lot of people could get onboard with today (even though they may not be wiling to admit it): "not all human life is worth the same". However I feel that movie makers don't quite understand this character and how to bring him to the big screen and scare the s*** out of an audience. In my opinion Lex is even more frightening than The Joker; in fact it was through Lex Luthor that as a kid I discovered about the political concept of a corporatocracy.
    Film Lex has been awful I completely agree. Thankfully TV and animated Lex are usually great and very entertaining, so at least we have those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is it @stargazer01?i don't think so. He just saying he doesn't care for relatability in a superman story. That's a valid opinion. Some want that.besides, relatability is subjective. I don't find postcrisis guy relatable at all. Yet, he is the everyman, with superman being a thing he does. Zack snyder says his portrayal is relatable. I don't find it relatable at all. I found allmight relatable. And it wasn't aiming to be relatable at all. I like precrisis supermen as well. I like goldenage clark and silverage kal el. Both of them have issues i find deeply relatable, yet these are said to be unrelatable . I like some of new52. But, it tried to be too kewl sometimes.
    I don't want to be stuck with a version of the character. If that was my only choice. I would choose the original. I am a manga guy. For me, creators decisions trump all other writers.
    I was referring more to @The World as an example.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I was referring more to @The World as an example.
    Well, he might be right. (Regarding working less and complaining more)i wouldn't dream to have gone through things the stuff in the 40s war, depression, famine, genocide... Etc. It was a brutal time in the world. I feel, today's world is much, much, much better.

Well, he might be right. (Regarding working less and complaining more)i wouldn't dream to have gone through things the stuff in the 40s war, depression, famine, genocide... Etc. It was a brutal time in the world. I feel, today's world is much, much, much better.
    Yes because the era of mass shootings, climate disasters and a potential World War 3 is truly the best time to be alive.

Yes because the era of mass shootings, climate disasters and a potential World War 3 is truly the best time to be alive.
    Yeah! Mass shootings are bad. But, those things were even justified back then. Blacks and browns weren't sometimes treated like people. Climate disaster is a complexity that has been building since the industrial revolution. They just didn't know it that well. As for world war 3,it hasn't happened. When it happens i will say our world is worse. Did you know how many people died because of just the lack of food in that decade? At the very least, the world is moving away from extreme poverty.
    War killed millions. So did famine. Genocide is selfexplainatory. Depression wasn't that great either.
    Guess, what? Even climate change department there are lots of people working relentlessly. See i think have no right to complain, they actually do something that matters.i will admit there are places on earth that's worse now. But as a whole, world has come a long way.
    Anyways, this is'nt the topic. Superman has become faaaaaar more talkative these days. Its kinda annoying actually.

I'll have this be my last word on this subject but I can't let this slide.

Yeah! Mass shootings are bad. But, those things were even justified back then.
    What? No they weren't.

Blacks and browns weren't sometimes treated like people.
    Have you paid attention to the news these days? Racism isn't over.

Climate disaster is a complexity that has been building since the industrial revolution. They just didn't know it that well.
    What's your point?

Did you know how many people died because of just the lack of food in that decade?
    Do you know how many are dying now?

War killed millions. So did famine.
    It still does and depression isn't something unique to that generation either.

"It was worse back then" is a pathetic defense of where we are now even if it is true (and a lot of the time it isn't).

I'll have this be my last word on this subject but I can't let this slide.

What? No they weren't.

Have you paid attention to the news these days? Racism isn't over.

What's your point?

Do you know how many are dying now?

It still does and depression isn't something unique to that generation either.

"It was worse back then" is a pathetic defense of where we are now even if it is true (and a lot of the time it isn't).
    I think, they were. Especially if you were one of the collanies of an imperial country.
    Racism might not be over. But, people don't put sign boards that say "____ ethnicity and dogs aren't allowed"
    Many are. But, it lacks the sheer intensity of then.
    It isn't.But,they lacked the technology back then.we do. It makes it far easier to cope.
    Defense of what? I didn't defend a thing. I said it was worse back then. It was. But, that doesn’t mean we shouldn't do better(keyword-do) . I was just conquering with @Theworld that he might be true in his assessment that heroes these days complain more and don't do that much. Comic book heroes do talk incessantly.Ultimately, i want the man of action in superman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

The more grounded approach where he's a "relatable" guy who can fly who still has some of the mundane problems or life experiences we do is pretty boring (to some).
    I agree. For me personally as an atheist Indian man from a Hindu family background, what got me hooked on the Superman character and the Superman story as a young boy was its modern day/pop-culture allegory to stories told in ancient religions (Abrahamic or Hindu) about a messenger/prophet/incarnation from God sent to humanity to be our saviour. That's how I view the Superman story.

As far as him having "mundane" problems so that he can be relatable to the everyday person, I would say this; the problems that he faces everyday are far more monumental. Jor-El sent him to us for a very special reason: to unite humanity and to make sure what happened to Krypton doesn't happen to Earth. The reason why the Kryptonian civilisation died wasn't really because of an environmental catastrophe. It was because the Kryptonian people/Kryptonian governments couldn't learn to get past the same problems that we face today in our society (even though they were hundreds of thousands of years ahead of us in evolution) and learn to work together to save themselves.

That is why I feel that he is bright, joyful, caring, hopeful and optimistic character and must always be depicted that way. The battle he constantly fights and keeps on losing is the one where he can't stop human beings committing atrocities to one another (often fuelled by other characters, chief of which is Alexander Joseph Luthor).

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Superman shouldn't have a son/kid in main continuity.
    Blasphemy I know.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Discovery is excellent. At first glance you might think it doesn't belong and misses the point of Trek (it deals with a slightly shadier side of the Federation that we've usually only seen hints of), but if you give it the benefit of the doubt I suspect you'll be hooked by episode 3 or 4.

The first two seasons are out on blu-ray so you don't have to have CBS All-Access. I watch the show with a friend who is a hardcore, old school Trekkie. Does not like the new movies, has a very....defined....idea of what Trek should be (and I'm not much more forgiving, honestly). And looking at trailers and stuff he thought he'd hate Discovery. Now, he's a grumpy, cranky old bastard fan who hates anything new simply because it's new, and I almost had to force him to give Discovery a try. And it took a couple episodes, but he loves it. Even he admits that this is worthy of Roddenberry in every way.
    well that's great to hear, thanks! I just keep seeing some fans who totally hate it. I'm not a big fan of the new movies, but don't hate them either. They are fun, but lack depth and great Sci-Fi for me.

Contrary to what people say, the two are not mutually exclusive. If you can't relate to Superman on some level, if you don't believe in the ideals he champions, there is nothing for you to be inspired by.
    I totally agree.

Is it @stargazer01?i don't think so. He just saying he doesn't care for relatability in a superman story. That's a valid opinion. Some want that.besides, relatability is subjective. I don't find postcrisis guy relatable at all. Yet, he is the everyman, with superman being a thing he does. Zack snyder says his portrayal is relatable. I don't find it relatable at all. I found allmight relatable. And it wasn't aiming to be relatable at all. I like precrisis supermen as well. I like goldenage clark and silverage kal el. Both of them have issues i find deeply relatable, yet these are said to be unrelatable . I like some of new52. But, it tried to be too kewl sometimes.
    I don't want to be stuck with a version of the character. If that was my only choice. I would choose the original. I am a manga guy. For me, creators decisions trump all other writers.

I never said I don't care for any relatability in a Superman/Clark portrayal. I do. But I relate to his humanity in a different way than many Zack Snyder fans it seems. They like to see the character always depressed and angry because things are not what he wants or hopes or because they think it's realistic.. I don't need that. I relate to his more noble emotions like being a loving son and friend, for instance. Of course he needs to be somewhat relatable and human, but I don't need to see him dragged through the mud to see his humanity. There are more positive and powerful ways to show it. See All Star Superman for that.

"When people say they need a Superman they can relate to...

I need a Superman that inspires me to be a better person.

I don't need to see Clark Kent doing all the same mistakes I do in order to find him compelling as a character. I want him to lead with his example. He is Super not just in powers by also his mind and heart."
    Last edited by stargazer01; 01-23-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Why not?

well that's great to hear, thanks! I just keep seeing some fans who totally hate it. I'm not a big fan of the new movies, but don't hate them either. They are fun, but lack depth and great Sci-Fi for me.

I totally agree.

I never said I don't care for any relatability in a Superman/Clark portrayal. I do. But I relate to his humanity in a different way than many Zack Snyder fans it seems. They like to see the character always depressed and angry because things are not what he wants or hopes or because they think it's realistic.. I don't need that. I relate to his more noble emotions like being a loving son and friend, for instance. Of course he needs to be somewhat relatable and human, but I don't need to see him dragged through the mud to see his humanity. There are more positive and powerful ways to show it. See All Star Superman for that.

"When people say they need a Superman they can relate to...

I need a Superman that inspires me to be a better person.

I don't need to see Clark Kent doing all the same mistakes I do in order to find him compelling as a character. I want him to lead with his example. He is Super not just in powers by also his mind and heart."
    Sorry, if i talked over you. I didn't mean any disrespect. My apologies.

I wasn't offended, just wanted to clarify. And is a she.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Discovery is way better than the movies. And it has the kind of depth and character work you expect from Trek. You might not like it, I don't know your tastes, but it's won over two old school bastards who don't care for the new movies at all.

Just.....when you watch it, if you're a nut for Trek continuity, you're gonna be saying "Wait, that's not right!" a lot of the time. Don't worry; the show knows that, and they screw with your expectations on purpose. So what you think doesn't fit continuity often ends up being twisted up in a way that not only fits, but surprises you.

Give it a few episodes, see what you think.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.