Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
Funny thing is that Superman isn't invincible in the comics.... so making him immune to damage in games doesn't really make sense.
True, but if you look at classic video game design (think 1980s), every bad guy in the game could potentially kill you. This design principle was carried over to a game like Justice League Heroes where Superman really doesn't have any more durability than Batman, because the game doesn't want you to default to using Superman when you have the choice to pick a weaker character. JLH is a playable game, but not a particularly great Superman simulator. On the other extreme, you have Lego Batman 2 where every hazard that'll (temporarily) KO Batman literally has no effect on Superman (incidentally, IGN once called the game the greatest Superman game ever made). I like the game, but its gameplay is pretty simplistic and the game wasn't at risk for winning any GotY awards.

So to balance a Superman sim and make a great game, you have to put a lot of extra thought into it. In the Arkham games, literally any thug with a gun can kill you because that's who Batman is. That guy is not a threat to Superman. You can do something like give the thug Apokoliptan or Kryptonite weapons, but then you can start asking yourself why can't Superman just use his superspeed to make those fights trivially easy (it's also fair to point out there are no great Flash video games, either). I think there are workable solutions, like make it a Metroid-style game where you start weak (say, young or weakened Superman) and grow dramatically in powers and abilities, but the overall point is that it takes more careful plotting and balancing, and nobody's really published a proof of concept yet. I'm optimistic it'll happen in my lifetime.

I used to joke that a great Superman game would be if you took a great Arkham game, but then put in a god mode where you get a Superman skin and nothing can hurt you, you can bullet-time your enemies, you could fly, your X-Ray vision worked like Detective Mode, and every villain gets downed in one hit.