Page 10 of 388 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    there hasn't been a Superman movie worth watching in decades besides maybe MOS. And really BvS screwed up a lot of the few things MOS got right. I think they should let big blue sit for a couple years. Maybe make a Red son movie in the meanwhile.
    I feel the exact opposite. If there's anytime for more Superman, it's now, especially with the DCEU in their "in need of hope" protocol. There's nobody more deserving or one who can make that point across than the Superman character in this DCEU. We get it. Batman is cool. Flash is fun. Diana is wondrous. Cyborg is a machinist. Arthur is enigmatic. But Kal? Kal is the beacon.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 12-06-2016 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    3) If it's true that Andy Diggle was pushed out of ACTION primarily because he wanted to develop a dynamic with Lois and Clark ...then it was a huge mistake. His one issue that he fully scripted was one of the best of the entire run. Yes we got Pak as a result,but I really wish he would have gotten a chance to finish his plans. He deserves another shot in Superman. Get him on ACTION!
    Where did you hear this? I thought it was all but confirmed that the reason he left was that they had approved his initial story idea of having Superman lose an arm only to change their minds at the last minute. It's the reason that the story makes it seem like he could lose his arm only for it to not be an issue at all.

As far as other controversial opinions. Someone else mentioned Superman being an ambassador for Kryptonian values, and I definitely think that'd be cool, but I'd also like to see him be something of a literal ambassador in fighting for the rights of aliens on Earth. A lot of government officials in the DCU are pretty bloody Xenophobic, and whatever allowed them to torture Superman without repercussion in Action Comics #2 likely hasn't been repealed. SO as the number of aliens gradually increases I think it'd make sense to see him spearhead a charge for alien rights.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    Where did you hear this? I thought it was all but confirmed that the reason he left was that they had approved his initial story idea of having Superman lose an arm only to change their minds at the last minute. It's the reason that the story makes it seem like he could lose his arm only for it to not be an issue at all.

As far as other controversial opinions. Someone else mentioned Superman being an ambassador for Kryptonian values, and I definitely think that'd be cool, but I'd also like to see him be something of a literal ambassador in fighting for the rights of aliens on Earth. A lot of government officials in the DCU are pretty bloody Xenophobic, and whatever allowed them to torture Superman without repercussion in Action Comics #2 likely hasn't been repealed. SO as the number of aliens gradually increases I think it'd make sense to see him spearhead a charge for alien rights.
    where is the like button when you need one?

Given the majority of aliens in the DCU aren't very friendly, I don't think I can blame them. Luthor may be a bastard, but his fear of Superman isn't entirely unfounded.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Possibility you are right although we don't know for sure as I don't think Diggle has talked about it much. I do remember there were rumors he clashes with Superman editorial because he didn't want to write the Superman/Wonder Woman ship and wanted to do some exploration of Lois and Clark as friends/ co workers. He didn't want to contradict the other books,he just wanted to ignore the power couple aspect in the same way Azzarello was doing in his Wonder Woman run. Judging from his very Clois heavy first issue ( which was set BEFORE the start of the start of the power couple and the present day new 52 btw) ,and the fact that Greg Pak couldn't use Lois for the first parts of his run,could lend some credence to that rumor. It could be a combination of things. All I know is I think people at DC and in fandom freaking out about the losing an arm thing overreacted, as it would not have affected the present day stuff in SUPERMAN and SM/WW etc as he clearly had his arm back in the present stories. I think we were cheated out of a good run by a good writer and I'd love to see him get a second shot eventually.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Other stuff:
    -Byrne's Krypton in my favorite version
    -Bloodsport actually has some potential back in the day, Bloodsport II on the other hand..... not so much
    -The New 52 costume designed by Jim Lee was pure garbage until some other artist, slowly but surely improved him
    -People that said that New 52 Superman was some kind of SJW and that Mr El is some conservative and self righteous guy don't know of what they are talking about (i mean people, i'm understand the bitterness, but you aren't doing any better than the Pre-Flashpoint fans in the last 5 years regarding to the reboot)
    -I was fine with the marriage going away for a while in the reboot and i didn't mind the pairing with Diana, that being said the execution of those ideas, were just shallow and unninteresting
    -I like Death and Return of Superman.... sued me
    -I wouldn't mind if Peppo the Super Monkey makes a come back.

Retired

Did I already say that Superman shouldn't be married and shouldn't have a kid? If so, then let me repeat, Superman shouldn't be married and shouldn't have a kid.

I don't accept the logic that Lois is the woman he's destined to be with. She's one option. There are many other options. I don't like Superman being pushed down that one narrow path where he has to be married and have a kid.

Comics are so bloody conservative, yet they advertise themselves as being radical and trying out all kinds of novel scenarios. When it comes down to it, writers--who might be really radical in their own lives (or might have unhappy marriages)--push every character into finding the "one true love," settling down and having a family. And that seems to apply to every character, no matter the orientation. As if Superman needs to find a woman to be complete. Of all people in the world, Superman is probably the one who doesn't need a woman or a kid--his horizons are so much broader than that. Supermn has a life of adventure that we hardly can even imagine. Why settle down?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBourguignon View Post
    Yes, to me is different facets of the same person. I do not come across exactly the same with my parents as I do my friends or my boss. I would not say I am inauthentic in any of these circumstances. They are all me with different emphasis. Same with Clark/Superman/Kal-El.
    Oh, yeah....and we've actually always seen this....Superman is the public persona, and how he deals with the public or officials as Superman, and how he deals with Bruce and Diana as Superman are different (and how he deals with other heroes is different still).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I don't accept the logic that Lois is the woman he's destined to be with. She's one option. There are many other options. I don't like Superman being pushed down that one narrow path where he has to be married and have a kid.

Comics are so bloody conservative, yet they advertise themselves as being radical and trying out all kinds of novel scenarios. When it comes down to it, writers--who might be really radical in their own lives (or might have unhappy marriages)--push every character into finding the "one true love," settling down and having a family. And that seems to apply to every character, no matter the orientation. As if Superman needs to find a woman to be complete. Of all people in the world, Superman is probably the one who doesn't need a woman or a kid--his horizons are so much broader than that. Supermn has a life of adventure that we hardly can even imagine. Why settle down?
    The ability to see oneself as Superman has always been a boon. I'm not really sure anyone was or is married with a kid besides Tomasi, though. For the medium at large there's... well, pretty much this one guy. Reed Richards is gone and Spider-Man is only a married father on the occasions they pretend that he didn't sell his marriage to the devil.

As for Lois, most people don't believe there's a such thing as "one true love" and this goes especially with married people passed their 20s. So they probably don't push too hard against it if it's not a common reading of their relationship. The commitment itself is probably supposed to speak to the loyalty, decisiveness, ability to compromise and share, and lack of excessive need to compromise.

I thought Diggle was let go because they changed their minds on the overall plot featuring him losing an arm and such. But, I do not thing it has ever been elaborated on much. In any case his one issue was okay, nothing great, but nothing terrible, so hard to get a gauge on how his run would have been.

Also +1 to the idea of Superman being an unofficial (or even official) ambassador for extra-terrestrial rights. So much meta commentary to explore there again in today's political and social climate.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-06-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Superman's supporting cast is awful. A few good stories here and there doesn't change that.

Superman's relationship with Lois Lane is a detriment to both characters.

Superman's romantic life in general has been handled awfully, and he should be written as having no interest in romance and not pursuing romantic partners.

Superman doesn't have to be muscular. He can have any body type.

Golden Age Clark and Lois were explicit racists. I can't remember the exact issue, but it must have been from between 1939 to 1941, where Lois & Clark go to a tropical island for a story, and there tour guide or whoever is shown whipping the natives and neither Lois nor Clark have any problem with it, Lois even says something about him having a way with the "Savages". The tour guide is revealed to be a villain later in the story, and there's something about the Prince of the Natives, and Superman helping him. If anyone knows what the exact issue of that story is, let me know, because I want to go back and read it again.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 12-06-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Comics are so bloody conservative, yet they advertise themselves as being radical and trying out all kinds of novel scenarios.
    The clear solution here is poligamy, that way everyone is happy, people would have their clois and superwonder and also would be liberal and bold.
    Lets go for that route my friends.

Golden Age Clark and Lois were explicit racists. I can't remember the exact issue, but it must have been from between 1939 to 1941, where Lois & Clark go to a tropical island for a story, and there tour guide or whoever is shown whipping the natives and neither Lois nor Clark have any problem with it, Lois even says something about him having a way with the "Savages". The tour guide is revealed to be a villain later in the story, and there's something about the Prince of the Natives, and Superman helping him. If anyone knows what the exact issue of that story is, let me know, because I want to go back and read it again.
    Well that's not surprising, considering that was the 40s, cover with things like "slap a jap" weren't uncommon. The media more or less has outgrown that (or that what i like to think at least).

Retired

Maybe polyamory. I don't see that Superman needs to get married to a lot of women for the sake of having more than one love interest. In the days of the Comics Code, DC couldn't even touch the subject of sex between consenting adults--but you could just figure that Clark was getting satisfied outside the story. And I think you can leave it there. Supes dated a lot of women and Lois didn't seem to lose interest in him--so they were probably both open-minded.

There were some stories in the '40s where the Superman cast were racist, but that's not unusual. At least those comics didn't have Black and Chinese stereotypes in every single issue--which was in a lot of other comics from the '40s. Relatively speaking, the level of racism was quite low for Superman when compared with other comics of the time.

In my formative years, things were still quite racist (in the early '60s). There were racist words spoken all the time that I didn't know the meaning of--but very quicky (thanks in part to the Beatles and other popular musicians), most of my generation saw racism for what it was and we changed. Not completely, as racism is still very much alive and it's a constant struggle, but I'm here to tell you that people can change. So, sure, Clark and Lois were products of their time, but that doesn't mean that they were always going to be racist or that everyone in that period should be damned for all time. People can change.

Maybe polyamory. I don't see that Superman needs to get married to a lot of women for the sake of having more than one love interest. In the days of the Comics Code, DC couldn't even touch the subject of sex between consenting adults--but you could just figure that Clark was getting satisfied outside the story. And I think you can leave it there. Supes dated a lot of women and Lois didn't seem to lose interest in him--so they were probably both open-minded.
    I'm just suggesting it, because probably is the solution that would pleased everyone, i didn't mind the marriage personally, the storys didn't suddenly suck or became less intense with time, i like the dynamic between Lois and Clark just fine; yeah with eventually get to stuff like New Krypton and Grounded but the marriage was barely presented on those, so i feel quite sure than those storys sucked for another number of reasons.
    I didn't mind either when the New 52 stuff went down (now if were are talking about Spider-Man that's another story) , just that i think than the directions taken with the charathers were just boring and shallow, the charatherization WW in that team up series irk me to no end personally.
    Last edited by TheCape; 12-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.