Page 105 of 388 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 5810
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I like the renaissance man approach, he does lots of things really well, so of course he can fight.

BANNED

He only "forgets" that he can do anything that he usually does when the writers decide to "stump" him.

We all know he is SUPER,and becomes only a MAN when the writers can't figure out how to write a normal Superman(which is SUPER),or we get another character they want to make look good.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    He knows how to fight, until the writers say he doesn't know how to fight.
    My problem is this. Take Action Comics current arc, Superman is blinded and is still able to hold onin a fight with Zod, Mongul, Blanque, Eradicator, Metallo and Cyborg Superman, he is losing but he is keeping up them, if he wasn't blind the fight could even be more even.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    He knows how to fight, until the writers say he doesn't know how to fight.
    Pretty much this.

But no version of Superman should know how to fight as well as people who have spent significant portions of their lifes to learn how to fight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Pretty much this.

But no version of Superman should know how to fight as well as people who have spent significant portions of their lifes to learn how to fight.

I agree with this......that's when he flies up above them and burns them to a crisp with his heat vision

Pretty much this.

But Clark have being Superman for more than 10 years by now, in this time he gained a lot of experience, and trained. He should be good.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Clark isn't a man who trains, but he is a guy who solves more problems with punching than any short of the Hulk. It would only make sense if he knows how to punch. Why wouldn't he? Super speed, strength, and incredibly fine tuned senses would make it easy for him to be good.

Pre crisis, Superman learned to box from Pa Kent. Originally post crisis used American Football as his fighting style, but grew up learning his powers through a progression of experience. Later retconned that he was also taught to box, and Morrison followed suit.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Clark isn't a man who trains, but he is a guy who solves more problems with punching than any short of the Hulk. It would only make sense if he knows how to punch. Why wouldn't he? Super speed, strength, and incredibly fine tuned senses would make it easy for him to be good.

Pre crisis, Superman learned to box from Pa Kent. Originally post crisis used American Football as his fighting style, but grew up learning his powers through a progression of experience. Later retconned that he was also taught to box, and Morrison followed suit.
    I'd love more specific references to those issues/panels if you don't mind.

(big boxing fan myself and love whenever it features in comics)

Spectacular Member

Pretty much this.

In post crisis continuity Clark spent fighting demons in “Immortal Beloved“ for 1000 years. If this is still canon he should have plenty of practice

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    But Clark have being Superman for more than 10 years by now, in this time he gained a lot of experience, and trained. He should be good.
    And evertbody who spent 10+ years learning martial arts also has had 10 years of experience on top of that by now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    In post crisis continuity Clark spent fighting demons in “Immortal Beloved“ for 1000 years. If this is still canon he should have plenty of practice
    I don't think anybody in the Supeman editorial ever considered that canon, even a week after it came out.

i think jon will witohut a doubt substitute clark as the new superman permanently in some years, but batman will forever be bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    What's wrong with military might? Military might is a good thing, a strong military is not something you just get from a bunch of guys with weaponry and intent to use it. Military Might requires, first of all, resources to feed it. Resources mean work, work means labour which requires work ethic and dedication. To assemble and prepare these resources requires logistics, which requires coordination and rationalization, which requires planning. To then turn those military resources into a fighting force requires discipline, tactics, strategy as well.

A country with a strong military is a strong country. No country has ever been strong without a strong military. It is likely that the stronger your military is, the better your country is.

The might is not the problem, its how you use it.
    Did I say there was something wrong with military might? I don't even know what you're trying to say.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Post-Crisis, Clark was a Golden Gloves champ, pretty much from day one, wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Maybe someone already said it, but Superman should know how to fight. I don't need him to be a ninja, but he should be able to handle himself in hand to hand combat. It pretty old that scene when someone that Superman should be able to defeat is able to keep up with him because he have no training and just rely on brute force. If that's true, how is he able to defeat Mongul or Zod? Both with power levels on pair with him and trained warriors?
    Oh, Clark totally knows how to fight.

We know this for a fact, because we've seen him train with a number of people, spar with a number of people, and its been straight up said that the League provides combat training as one of the first things they teach their members. And that includes psychic defenses too, because those meddlesome telepaths and mages are always trying to mind control big powerful heroes.

I have a slightly different view on Clark's combat prowess than many here, though. I think Clark's a skilled, mixed-discipline fighter, but he's learned how to fight in an environment that renders traditional, human combat styles moot. What good is a throw when the person you throw can fly? What good is knocking them into a floor or wall when that floor or wall might as well be made of paper? What good is a choke hold when the person in question doesnt need to breathe more than once every few months? Clark plays by a different set of physics than the rest of us, and his fighting style should reflect that.

I think if you were to take Clark's powers away and make him a regular human (and I dont think you can because even a baseline Kryptonian should be Golden Age in power level) he wouldn't know how to defend himself because things like gravity have never/rarely been a consideration; almost everything he knows about fighting (beyond how to throw a punch) is wrong. But at the same time, if you were to give (someone like) Batman the same powers as Clark, all that combat training is useless, and probably even a hindrance since their instincts would work against him.

Clark knows how to fight. He wont be making any "Best Fighters....." lists, because hurting people isn't his main focus (he's a first responder, not a soldier) but he can take care of himself just fine.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.