Page 11 of 388 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Superman should be romantically like the Cpt. Kirk of the DCU. Women from every conceivable species should be throwing themselves at him.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Giving Superman a child has some interesting short-term prospects, but in the long term I think it will sour just as the marriage eventually did before the reboot. Before long there will be calls to be rid of the child, and the marriage for the second time. Lois should be most times the main love interest, but just that, an interest. Superman should be, outside of teases and on-again off-again dalliances, single. That is, indeed, a regressive step to take for the mythos, but in some cases, evolution and moving forward so permanently is not the best course of action, most especially when it comes to romance. Moonlighting syndrome.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-06-2016 at 05:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Giving Superman a child has some interesting short-term prospects, but in the long term I think it will sour just as the marriage eventually did before the reboot. Before long there will be calls to be rid of the child, and the marriage for the second time. Lois should be most times the main love interest, but just that, an interest. Superman should be, outside of teases and on-again off-again dalliances, single. That is, indeed, a regressive step to take for the mythos, but in some cases, evolution and moving forward so permanently is not the best course of action, most especially when it comes to romance. Moonlighting syndrome.
    Honestly writers just should do the smart thing and not use Lois and Jon in their stories if they don't want too. They have perfect excuses to keep then away with elements of the mythos (Jon is camping with the Legion and Lois is doing her journalist stuff), teases and on-again off-again dalliances can get equaly boring pretty easily, specially when you know that they aren't going to get anywhere. The other option would be just perpetual single with no-teases, but many times the writers can't help thenselves and they are going to do it anyway.

Superman's supporting cast is f*cking awful. They need to be developed more or changed because the people on the planet are not really interesting. Superman's relationship with Lois has been done to death and is boring at this point. I always thought that being a reporter kinda sucks and Clark is wasting his talents there where he could be a scientist or a doctor. Clark would be a awesome doctor. Superman should mostly be single with him exploring different option, including Lois and Diana.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Superman should be romantically like the Cpt. Kirk of the DCU. Women from every conceivable species should be throwing themselves at him.
    Max Landis messed around with this idea in American Alien. Granted it wasn't a flock of women, but it was fun to see a young Clark not only flirt, but have intimate relations with other beings on his level. He was def' pimpin!

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    Max Landis messed around with this idea in American Alien. Granted it wasn't a flock of women, but it was fun to see a young Clark not only flirt, but have intimate relations with other beings on his level. He was def' pimpin!
    Wait with Barbara Minerva?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The thing is we have like,50 plus years worth of stories where Superman is single or not married. Plus there are numerous out of continuity tales to tell and there are always the proverbial "flashback" or " untold tale" .I honestly don't see the issue with having an advancing narrative that grows and changes and continues and builds on past events without pressing the reset " easy" button. Why can't Superman be a husband and a father in the main canon while you can explore a more traditional and regressive version in another? Or a out of continuity stand alone tale having him bed half the alien females ( or males) in the universe if that's an important thing.

I honestly don't see the big deal with him being married. The only type of stories you can't tell is Supes " playing the field". Virtually every other story is still in play. You can still have him fight bad guys or travel across time and space or wherever adventures you want to throw at him. it's just one thematic element that more creative writers can either utilize or get around whichever they see fit.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-06-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The thing is we have like,50 plus years worth of stories where Superman is single or not married. Plus there are numerous out of continuity tales to tell and there are always the proverbial "flashback" or " untold tale" .I honestly don't see the issue with having an advancing narrative that grows and changes and continues and builds on past events without pressing the reset " easy" button. Why can't Superman be a husband and a father in the main canon while you can explore a more traditional and regressive version in another? I honestly don't see the big deal with him being married. The only type of stories you can't tell is Supes " playing the field". Virtually every other story is still in play. You can still have him fight bad guys or travel across time and space or wherever adventures you want to throw at him.
    Controversial opinions

Retired

I see Lois Lane as this reference point for Superman. She represents what Clark could have if he was an ordinary guy and not a Superman. If he was the kind who settles down and leads a nornal life, then Lois is the kind of woman he'd want to do that with. Likewise for Lois, Clark is the kind of guy she could settle down with, if she wasn't a woman who aspires to other things. Superman represents for her, not just a man she loves, but the possibility of big important things. Superman puts aside marriage, because he has a greater calling. And Lois puts aside marriage, because she's a woman on a mission.

Changing the Superman story so he's the guy who gets married and raises a family changes everything. That's the life he wanted to have in "For the Man who has Everything"--albeit there it was a normal life on Krypton with Lyla Lerrol. In the Alan Moore story, Superman has to break lose of that fantasy, as tempting as it might be, because he's not meant for that kind of happy contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Controversial opinions
    True enough. I just don't buy the whole" marriage ruined Superman forever!" line some people run to , particularly some writers who use it as an excuse why they can't tell good Superman stories. It's not because he's married. It's because you probably suck writing Superman anyway. It's part of the" he's too powerful to be interesting" school line of reasoning. I never bought either argument.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I see Lois Lane as this reference point for Superman. She represents what Clark could have if he was an ordinary guy and not a Superman. If he was the kind who settles down and leads a nornal life, then Lois is the kind of woman he'd want to do that with. Likewise for Lois, Clark is the kind of guy she could settle down with, if she wasn't a woman who aspires to other things. Superman represents for her, not just a man she loves, but the possibility of big important things. Superman puts aside marriage, because he has a greater calling. And Lois puts aside marriage, because she's a woman on a mission.

Changing the Superman story so he's the guy who gets married and raises a family changes everything. That's the life he wanted to have in "For the Man who has Everything"--albeit there it was a normal life on Krypton with Lyla Lerrol. In the Alan Moore story, Superman has to break lose of that fantasy, as tempting as it might be, because he's not meant for that kind of happy contentment.
    So...Superman is not meant for a happy ending? I always thought that would apply to Batman. But yeah I always saw more of a happy family ending apply to Spider-Man only.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    True enough. I just don't buy the whole" marriage ruined Superman forever!" line some people run to , particularly some writers who use it as an excuse why they can't tell good Superman stories. It's not because he's married. It's because you probably suck writing Superman anyway. It's part of the" he's too powerful to be interesting" school line of reasoning. I never bought either argument.
    I hate that argument so much because that applies to a lot of character for example Thor.

The thing is we have like,50 plus years worth of stories where Superman is single or not married. Plus there are numerous out of continuity tales to tell and there are always the proverbial "flashback" or " untold tale" .I honestly don't see the issue with having an advancing narrative that grows and changes and continues and builds on past events without pressing the reset " easy" button. Why can't Superman be a husband and a father in the main canon while you can explore a more traditional and regressive version in another? I honestly don't see the big deal with him being married. The only type of stories you can't tell is Supes " playing the field". Virtually every other story is still in play. You can still have him fight bad guys or travel across time and space or wherever adventures you want to throw at him.
    Personally i think that i have to do with the way that western stories has been told for most decades, the hero and the love interest, don't got together until the climax, because that's how you keep tension and dramam, that's the end the charathers live happily forever after had 5,5 kids and that's it, if a sequel of the story is made, then boths are going to be separated again for x or y reason, then you are going to do the trip all over again. You would notice that is very weir find fictional stories when the romance is during the development of the story and many writers don't seem to be interested into find an equilibrate ground in how to handle relationships (like a suggested some coments above). I don't mind young Clark "playing the field" personally, but that can get equally boring too.

Retired

The idea that someone getting married and having a family is evolution, the natural advancement, the obvious course forward--that's what I really find unnerving. It's the way forward for some people--but not everybody is made that way. So if you have a story where someone doesn't do that--that doesnt mean they're stuck, that they're not going forward. It just means they have a different agenda for their life. And in a world of comic book fantasies, there should be room for different options in life. Not this idea that everyone has to get married or else die unfullfilled before they get the chance. In a word, I think that's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    So...Superman is not meant for a happy ending? I always thought that would apply to Batman. But yeah I always saw more of a happy family ending apply to Spider-Man only.
    Joe Quesada apparently disagrees. That's how we got ONE MORE DAY and how I ended up shortly thereafter dropping Marvel.