Page 113 of 388 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 5810
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Krypton was still backwards in many areas and it's not like Clark was raised there any way so why would just being born there make him smarter or stronger? Remember that these guys stilll blew themselves up out of ignorance

Lol your funny,we have smartphones that can do almost anything,but we could blow ourselves up any day of the week.
    Krypton was way more advanced than us,to say otherwise is BS,and they aren't just humans on another planet,they are what happens when you become demigods by natural and manufactured ways.

I get you are trying to play devil's advocate,but come on man

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Lol your funny,we have smartphones that can do almost anything,but we could blow ourselves up any day of the week.
    Krypton was way more advanced than us,to say otherwise is BS,and they aren't just humans on another planet,they are what happens when you become demigods by natural and manufactured ways.

I get you are trying to play devil's advocate,but come on man
    And yet we managed to avoid blowing ourselves up. The Kryptonians did not. Do the math.

Yeah nothing says advanced like an isolationist, socially stifled world that ignored evidence of their own pending doom.

Look up Captain Atom and Major Force. Kryptonians aren't the only ones who can create superpowered beings.

I like to think Superman is smart because he inherited super scientist Jor-El's genes. Not necessarily because kryptonians are all supersmart. Actually makes him more special, if you think about it.

And yet we managed to avoid blowing ourselves up. The Kryptonians did not. Do the math.

Yeah nothing says advanced like an isolationist, socially stifled world that ignored evidence of their own pending doom.

Look up Captain Atom and Major Force. Kryptonians aren't the only ones who can create superpowered beings.
    still Have imaginary lines and think it is a good idea to build walls to keep outsiders out so they dont rob the "natives" jobs and riches

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    still Have imaginary lines and think it is a good idea to build walls to keep outsiders out so they dont rob the "natives" jobs and riches
    One very bad idea by one government vs a practice by an entire planet. Hardly comparable

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Batman, If there is the slightest hint of conflict between the World's Finest heroes- odds are Batman pulls some kryptonite rabbit out of a hat to dominate Superman.
    They have fought two times canonically that I can think of.

Jeph Loeb had them fight in Hush, and all the Kryptonite was Poison Ivy's, who was mind-controlling Supes.

And then when famed Batman fan Greg Rucka had them fight during the Ininite Crisis run-up with Sacrifice/The O.M.A.C.-Project. And Batman was a bloody smear on the ground before he even knew he was in a fight. And Batman actually had Kryptonite standard in his utility belt during that period.
    Last edited by Carabas; 07-20-2017 at 12:50 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

But Krypton was much, much, much older than Earth in terms of civilization. Earth is always described as being in its civilization's infancy in comparison to Krypton's thousands to millions of years. So in that sense, the DCU Earth still has quite a while to blow it self up in some way.

That's hubris. That's not a lack of advancement or even intelligence. Even a genius is susceptible to hubris (some might say even more so then most), but it doesn't negate their intelligence. Hell, that's Lex's MO. That's how Superman beats him every time even though Lex is smarter. That's how Superman beats Brainiac every time even though he's smarter than everyone. That's Superman taking the best of Krypton and burning away the worst as best as he can.

why would just being born there make him smarter or stronger?
    Do you mean physically stronger? Because that's a strange question when talking about Superman. For smarter, there are a good amount of studies that to support the idea of naturally high levels of retention, cognition, and aptitudes for things like critical thinking or even calculation. It's also a fictional world so if "Kryptonians have super intelligence" is written plainly into the comic, then it's fact as far as that world goes. I mean, Morrison made it fact that all Kryptonians have a "moral imprint" in them that stops them from killing sentient life during his run. That makes little sense, but it was true for that world at the time.

But that doesn't leave them (Kryptonians) without the flaws. Their emotional intelligence is comparable to humans, thus, in a lot of ways, overriding some of their common sense same as humans. They can be oblivious, small minded, and petty. All of that gets firmly in the way of any sort of genius.

It's also worth noting that the original idea for Kryptonians was for them to simply be humans from the far, far future. So that basically sums up the gist of their central idea.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But Krypton was much, much, much older than Earth in terms of civilization. Earth is always described as being in its civilization's infancy in comparison to Krypton's thousands to millions of years. So in that sense, the DCU Earth still has quite a while to blow it self up in some way.
    We’re actually paying attention to the dangers posed to the environment while the Kryptonians didn’t notice until their world was literally crashing down around them. Age has nothing to do with this. If anything, being older should have made them more aware of this.

That's hubris. That's not a lack of advancement or even intelligence. Even a genius is susceptible to hubris (some might say even more so then most), but it doesn't negate their intelligence. Hell, that's Lex's MO. That's how Superman beats him every time even though Lex is smarter. That's how Superman beats Brainiac every time even though he's smarter than everyone. That's Superman taking the best of Krypton and burning away the worst as best as he can.
    It’s flat out stated that Krypton society had stagnated. They stopped advancing. Human beings are still growing every day. They were confronted by evidence by one of their smartest scientists and ignored it. In real life, people who dismiss global warming as rightfully written off as morons.
    Honestly, one of the stupidest things about superhero stories is how much they downplay human innovation and adaptability.

Do you mean physically stronger? Because that's a strange question when talking about Superman. For smarter, there are a good amount of studies that to support the idea of naturally high levels of retention, cognition, and aptitudes for things like critical thinking or even calculation. It's also a fictional world so if "Kryptonians have super intelligence" is written plainly into the comic, then it's fact as far as that world goes. I mean, Morrison made it fact that all Kryptonians have a "moral imprint" in them that stops them from killing sentient life during his run. That makes little sense, but it was true for that world at the time.

But that doesn't leave them (Kryptonians) without the flaws. Their emotional intelligence is comparable to humans, thus, in a lot of ways, overriding some of their common sense same as humans. They can be oblivious, small minded, and petty. All of that gets firmly in the way of any sort of genius.

It's also worth noting that the original idea for Kryptonians was for them to simply be humans from the far, far future. So that basically sums up the gist of their central idea.
    Going by your logic, since it’s a fictional world, the Kryptonians don’t have to be written as being smarter and more powerful. And I find that idea from Morrison is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in comics.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It’s flat out stated that Krypton society had stagnated. They stopped advancing.
    That's in maybe 2 takes of the Superman myth in nearly 80 years of publication. If we're talking about the DCEU, then sure. If we're talking about the late 80s, sure because that's were the DCEU got it. Those takes are very much looked at as the black sheep of the bunch. Not really sure how you're trying to apply this to the very concept of Krypton. But basically anywhere else that's simply never true. At worst they simply become overconfident.

In real life, people who dismiss global warming as rightfully written off as morons.
    Yet they're still elected to the highest office in the land.

And you keep framing the idea of them not listening to their smartest scientist as a purely intellectual failing. But in reality it's never ever been framed that way. That's just how you're using it to prove a very specific point. It's been predominately framed as them simply not waning to accept fact because of their hubris. As I said before, hubris doesn't disqualify intelligence. The two do very much coexist in even the brightest of people. And because of this logical thinking can be overridden by sheer weight of ego.

AKA Lex.

Honestly, one of the stupidest things about superhero stories is how much they downplay human innovation and adaptability.
    Very strange to say that when Superman's story is about nothing but saying how amazing humans can be. Part of the idea is that humanity will be greater the Krypton if they don't fall to their weaker instincts like Krypton. For this idea to function thematically Krypton needs to be very nearly a utopia that simply got too big a head for its own good.

Superman comics (at their best) scream at the top of the heavens how great humans can be. Lex is a normal human who is flat out smarter than a Superman, the son of kryptons greatest scientist. Superman's whole deal with Lex is that he wants him to put all of that talent to good use and step away from his hubris and jealousy. So to say that this is downplayed in the Superman myth of all places is just not true since Lex is a thing, and his thing is being the smartest guy in the room even when Superman is there.

Going by your logic, since it’s a fictional world, the Kryptonians don’t have to be written as being smarter and more powerful.
    No they don't. But they are. That's really the long and short of it.

And I find that idea from Morrison is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in comics.
    That's cool. Doesn't mean that it didn't hold true in the story. It's just like how Superman is weak to magic fire or Kryptonite. The story says that it's true.

But yeah, I'm good on the rest of this conversation. Don't really see it going much of anywhere. I was trespassing anyways. See ya.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

We’re actually paying attention to the dangers posed to the environment while the Kryptonians didn’t notice until their world was literally crashing down around them. Age has nothing to do with this. If anything, being older should have made them more aware of this.

It’s flat out stated that Krypton society had stagnated. They stopped advancing. Human beings are still growing every day. They were confronted by evidence by one of their smartest scientists and ignored it. In real life, people who dismiss global warming as rightfully written off as morons.

Going by your logic, since it’s a fictional world, the Kryptonians don’t have to be written as being smarter and more powerful. And I find that idea from Morrison is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in comics.
    You are mistaking peoples attention to problems with governments decisions. US and China are the greatest producers of co2 today and stopping that goes against their economical growth. Krypton gvt though Jor El was raising a exageration of the problem and would be generating panic

We have had the ways of blowing ourselves up for about 80 years. Tell me the same in about 100 thousand years which was how long Kryptonian super scientifically advanced civilization lasted (according to some versions of the myth)
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    We have had the ways of blowing ourselves up for about 80 years. Tell me the same in about 100 thousand years which was how long Kryptonian super scientifically advanced civilization lasted (according to some versions of the myth)
    We are well on our way to passively let out planet... well, not blow up but let it become a place that is only marginally compatible with human life at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    We are well on our way to passively let out planet... well, not blow up but let it become a place that is only marginally compatible with human life at best.
    Just because we love money more than clean air and water
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Just because we love money more than clean air and water
    Imagine what better stewards of the planet we'd be if we were forced to live through the crap future generations will have to deal with.

BANNED

Lol you guys are funny,don't you know what happens really,past generations shit on everything,and the future generations clean it all up.

The world will keep on spinning,some will get richer,while others get poorer,and the world will continue To go to crap,while it also gets better in million ways.