Page 137 of 388 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And if it was used as much as the jail thing, and villains were inevitably brought back repeatedly, we'd run into cardboard afterlife as much as cardboard prison. And we know the real world reason these villains keep getting brought back (writers WANT to use them and the almighty $$$) so maybe we shouldn't give the heroes a hard time no matter what their preferred solution is because nothing they do will change anything in the long run.
    Well, maybe someone should tell the writers this because they're the ones who keep bringing this up.

Plus instead of putting the blame all on them, put some of the blame on the crappy legal systems. Batman hands the villains over to the police, but the courts never give them the death penalty. After a point the blame isn't just his. Hell, Maggie Sawyer shot the Joker full of bullets in Gotham Central and the bastard still survived. Status quo is God is working against all of them.
    The ineptitude of the justice system is already acknowledged. It's why the superheroes exist in the first place.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, maybe someone should tell the writers this because they're the ones who keep bringing this up.
    So do fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The ineptitude of the justice system is already acknowledged. It's why the superheroes exist in the first place.
    So what are you arguing in favor of? It would be nice for both the heroes and law enforcement to get their heads out of their collective asses, but again we all know the real world reasons why things play out the way they do.

Yeah it can (and frequently is) be stupid, but seems pointless to get hung up on.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So do fans.
    Only because the writers do it so often. I doubt we would be having this conversation if so many stories didn't revolve around the no killing.

So what are you arguing in favor of?
    Either for writers to come up with a smart solution or to just stop drawing attention to the problem altogether.

The only smart solutions would be for the heroes to build a prison the villains can’t get out of (which won’t happen), or for the heroes to kill the villains and the villains stay dead (which also won’t happen). So it’s better to just drop it. But they won’t because a lot of writers are just as frustrated with the status quo as fans, or they think showing they’re “in” on the “joke” makes them look smart.

This is simply the way Big 2 comics work.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If killing thing is done. What about legacy villains and creating new villains? I mean, comics are supposed to be creative.

In all likelihood only three things can save Superman in 2020 forward: Black Label, Earth-1985, Earth-52.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In all likelihood only three things can save Superman in 2020 forward: Black Label, Earth-1985, Earth-52.
    I pray you're wrong (in that I hope their are more options) but I think you may be right.

At least comics wise. While I'm not thrilled about the premise, he at least has a show coming up.

Yeah I was talking specifically comics. The show isn't at all my thing either but its something in terms of other-media. Though I have certain reservations of what may end up happening there too to conceivably put Clark on the back-burner. But hopefully I'm wrong there too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I dislike all three of them. None of the give me what I've most enjoyed - family-man Clark with Lois and Jon. Well, Black Label probably doesn't, and it's none of what I've seen from it to my taste.

Of course, mainstream-continuity doesn't sound like it'll be any good to me, either. Sad, because I quite liked for a while there, even if I did think there was room for improvement.

Well, technically there should be a pure Rebirth flavor Earth out there in the multiverse now, I just don't know what the chances would be of anything like that being explored though since in terms of the family they seem more than content with the older version of Jon over the kid. But then again, outside of Black Label, I'm just guessing on the other two as well. No indication at all right now of those being explored either, outside of being specifically name-dropped in DDC. But that might not mean anything at all. Just opportunity, who knows what's picked up on if anything else.

You guys raise a good point. It is kinda starting to seem inevitable that the current version of Clark/Kal-El is on borrowed time. If him losing his secret identity wasn’t a familiar bad omen of a reboot, then him apparently becoming an old man and replaced by Jon later this year’s gotta be putting the writing on the wall. I give it 3 years before we get a full reset. Might be worth it to get Bendis’s garbage hack ego trip of a run out of canon.

Anyway as far as out of media stuff. I maintain that Superman’s recent resurgence of animated movies is still the best thing he has going for him. I’m cautiously optimistic about the new Arrowverse show. But Death&Reign were great (former more than the latter, but still), and Red Son looks really really promising. On the movie front I think he’s bound to show up in Flashpoint and/or Shazam 2. Whether it’s Cavill or someone new. And if that goes well it could jumpstart a new solo movie. If the comics could just get a new creative team already, I think things look bright for the new decade of Superman content.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 01-09-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Someone posted art for a rejected post apocalyptic Superman BL story and I’m still mad about it. Didio rejected that but let Year One through? What a hack.

But 2020 is actually a pretty good year for Superman. Two animated movies, a TV show, there’s a lot of other characters with less right now.

I am pretty much at ease with 5G stuff. Continuity shifts sooner or later. And i am bored by this clark kent superman. Frankly, i can relate to lois lane better currently . He has no personal struggle that's relatable for me. It's just nonsensical drama for the sake of it.
    I want a different superman. It's the need of the hour for me. Earth52 and earth1, earth1985 are also great. But, we know nothing bad will happen to superman as he is clark. With jon, anything could happen. He could get erased at the end of it. He could go back to being a kid. There are a lot possibilities and tension. With jon, writer can and has to go big creatively like having jon make Metropolis come alive. Jon going to different parts of the world and being their superman for a change as one of them,as part of their culture.He doesn't have to be stuck in the same settings. He could have different work philosophy than Clark's. I would love for jon to be the methodical problem solver and be the global champion . A little more like reed richards. I mean, jon was able to make that cube thingy to work in tomasi's run.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't think Clark being a good dad to Jon is out of character given his previous failures as a mentor figure. I think he just finally got it together after all this time and Lois does a lot on the back end that we don't see to hold it all together.

We need a Perry and Gordon one shot where they solve a crime together. Make it a flashback to when they were early in their careers, I don't care, but that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Jon isn't enough like his mother. He should have her signature purple eyes, a healthy dose of cynicism and a vice (much as she has smoking, he would probably have something, though markedly less severe; perhaps a chocolate fixation or something).

The biggest tragedy of Jon's age up is losing the Super Sons supporting cast. Where's Kathy?

Action was such a good book but going into event mode has really pumped the brakes on it. Please go back to making Action a more Metropolis-focused book, Bendis!

Still dying to read a story where Clark is stranded on a frozen planet under a red sun and needing to escape while struggling to survive.

Metropolis should bring back the World Fair and become not only a tech hub, but some Mecca for D-I-Y and innovation; the City of Tomorrow should be built by bright self-starters and inventors who tinker with gadgets in their garage. Clark should be stopping Lex's machinations as much as benign inventions gone haywire. It should always be moving. Evolving; forever iterating on itself.

All I got for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't think Clark being a good dad to Jon is out of character given his previous failures as a mentor figure. I think he just finally got it together after all this time and Lois does a lot on the back end that we don't see to hold it all together.

We need a Perry and Gordon one shot where they solve a crime together. Make it a flashback to when they were early in their careers, I don't care, but that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Jon isn't enough like his mother. He should have her signature purple eyes, a healthy dose of cynicism and a vice (much as she has smoking, he would probably have something, though markedly less severe; perhaps a chocolate fixation or something).

The biggest tragedy of Jon's age up is losing the Super Sons supporting cast. Where's Kathy?

Action was such a good book but going into event mode has really pumped the brakes on it. Please go back to making Action a more Metropolis-focused book, Bendis!

Still dying to read a story where Clark is stranded on a frozen planet under a red sun and needing to escape while struggling to survive.

Metropolis should bring back the World Fair and become not only a tech hub, but some Mecca for D-I-Y and innovation; the City of Tomorrow should be built by bright self-starters and inventors who tinker with gadgets in their garage. Clark should be stopping Lex's machinations as much as benign inventions gone haywire. It should always be moving. Evolving; forever iterating on itself.

All I got for now.
    Kathy was in some other book, i believe along with maya, boyzzaro.. Etc.
    Another pet peeve, i don't know if it's controversial or not. But, i want superman fight giant monsters. Give him cthuthlu-esque horrific monsters. The villains are all look very good for me as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-10-2020 at 12:41 AM.