Page 158 of 388 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 5810
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman is a symbol of hope, but having him go around saying he is and pontificating about platitudes- that's bad writing.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman is a symbol of hope, but having him go around saying he is and pontificating about platitudes- that's bad writing.
    Yeah! It is. But, the way its done needs to be also taken into account. Allmight has declared himself the symbol of peace many times. Because its just fact. He himself needs to believe that, for others to believe in that. If he can' t declare that with confidence. Others won't as well.
    If you ask me, my hero academia is the best pro superman narrative that exist in outside media today. It even destroyed the incredibles narrative of "no capes". Mirio just benched edna. It should have been our on screen superman.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

You know something? I think I really dislike it when Superman's (or any Kryptonian's) heat vision is depicted the big, single optic blast thing. You know, the Scott Summers optic blast lookin thing.

I'm a much bigger fan of the two relatively thin heat beams. And it doesn't matter the intensity for me. I want it to be two thin beams of heat regardless of if he's welding train tracks or matching the heat of a star. Two thin heat beams.

I'm also a big fan of when his eyes just glow red, no visible beams are shown, and something just starts burning.

To this day I think Superman Returns still has what I feel to be the best looking showcase of heat vision in live action Superman media. That part where he uses his heat vision to dig under the ocean floor is pretty freakin great.

One of the best moments in comics with his heat vision is when he burns Mongul in For The Man Who Has Everything. No giant DBZ laser. In fact, it was just his eyes lighting up, but you could almost feel the intensity because of how Mongul reacts to it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You know something? I think I really dislike it when Superman's (or any Kryptonian's) heat vision is depicted the big, single optic blast thing. You know, the Scott Summers optic blast lookin thing.

I'm a much bigger fan of the two relatively thin heat beams. And it doesn't matter the intensity for me. I want it to be two thin beams of heat regardless of if he's welding train tracks or matching the heat of a star. Two thin heat beams.

I'm also a big fan of when his eyes just glow red, no visible beams are shown, and something just starts burning.

To this day I think Superman Returns still has what I feel to be the best looking showcase of heat vision in live action Superman media. That part where he uses his heat vision to dig under the ocean floor is pretty freakin great.

One of the best moments in comics with his heat vision is when he burns Mongul in For The Man Who Has Everything. No giant DBZ laser. In fact, it was just his eyes lighting up, but you could almost feel the intensity because of how Mongul reacts to it.
    When he blasted mongul. didn't he use focused beams? There were beams and burning. Superman heat vision in superman return didn't work for me. He is planet buster and his heat vision looked like two red rays. That's not impressive . When he is at that high powerlevel status and kicking ass at a planetary level, His heat vision should be bombastic. It has to be presented like that. Going dbz route was the best thing snyder did. When his eyes glow, his skull can be seen. It was epic. It looked like it physically hurt. I love beam struggles. It just works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    When he blasted mongul. didn't he use focused beams?
    He did. I was remembering the JLU episode based on the book to. In that they were either invisible or really faint. You could almost feel the burning sensation.

And to drive the point home, Mongul was being hit by giant alien bazookas and Wonder Woman's fist, yet its Superman basically giving him a dirty look that legitimately has him in pain.

For me, less is so much more when it comes to showcasing power that you can't even comprehend.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-07-2020 at 01:22 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

He did. I was remember the JLU episode based on the book to. You could almost feel the burning sensation.

And to drive the point home, Mongul was being hit by giant alien bazookas and Wonder Woman's fist, yet its Superman basically giving him a dirty look that legitimately has him in pain.

For me, less is so much more when it comes to showcasing power that you can't even comprehend.
    Well that only works in focused action and close quarters combat.With high level feats like cutting a tectonic plate or obliterating a metoer or blasting a planet away. He needs the high beams to look affective. Otherwise there audiences won't be able get feel the impact.bardock blasting freeze's energy blast was single most awesome moment in dbz and subsequent distruction leaves us feeling of utter awe .compare that to superman cutting a tectonic plate in donner films and in superman returns. It didn't look visually impactful. He cut an entire continent. Instead of feeling wow! Dope!, i was like meh!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-07-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Well that only works in focused action and close quarters combat.With high level feats like cutting a tectonic plate or obliterating a metoer or blasting a planet away. He needs the high beams to look affective.
    I don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It's a fair question. My answer is that Luthor knows what he's doing.
    Correct! I don't think Luthor would be so blatantly obvious that he practically has a political party in his pocket. Then again in the Superman stories, Luthor has bribed and coerced senior figures in the FBI, Homeland Security, US Department of Justice, US Department of State and many others. They are all in his "pocket". And also in the Superman stories, Lex's enemies and political opponents seem to meet an untimely demise. Hopefully Senator Romney stays in good health.......

I think the way Luthor (and to some degree, Trump) operates, says something very telling (and frightening) of our times. Most of us are motivated by wealth; so as to pay the bills, pay the mortgage, feed our families etc. We move to jobs that are better paying to afford a better lifestyle (homes, healthcare, schools, public amenities) for ourselves and our families and even if most of use are not willing to admit it, we suck up to those who have wealth, success and power in the hopes that some of that success wears off on us. Many industries are decimating our world and our environment, and we ignore it for the sake of a steady paycheck. For Alexander Joseph Luthor (and to some degree, Trump), I think he understands that money itself is nothing more than valueless pieces of paper; but the exchange of it is an agreement to provide some sort of service or product and those agreements can affect change in society and that subtly allows him to take control of peoples lives. But as is the case for the top wealthiest 1% of any nation, they subconsciously believe in a sense of entitlement over the poorest; a belief that they know what's good for the world and it's their birthright to **** on the poorest/unequipped in society. This to me goes to the heart of the origins of Luthor's character.

When he blasted mongul. didn't he use focused beams? There were beams and burning. Superman heat vision in superman return didn't work for me. He is planet buster and his heat vision looked like two red rays. That's not impressive . When he is at that high powerlevel status and kicking ass at a planetary level, His heat vision should be bombastic. It has to be presented like that. Going dbz route was the best thing snyder did. When his eyes glow, his skull can be seen. It was epic. It looked like it physically hurt. I love beam struggles. It just works for me.
    I agree manwhohaseverything. Though I didn't like Man of Steel so much for many reasons, I loved Henry Cavill's physical portrayal of Superman, including the big, heat vision beams and his eyes almost turning molten yellow. It shows the raw power that this being has. Don't get me wrong, I did like Christopher Reeve's, Dean Cain's and Brandon Routh's narrow beams/invisible beams but everything about Henry Cavill's physical interpretation of Superman pointed to a big and invincibly powerful God. I also thought Henry has the best physique of any Superman actor (better than Christopher Reeve in Superman 1 and Dean Cain). You could tell Henry worked his ass off in the gym and the Man of Steel suit was the best physically looking suit (I'm glad they did away with the red underpants). I just wished the Man of Steel suit had brighter colours: brighter blue, brighter yellow and a shade brighter red (with the yellow emblem on the back of the cape). I thought the cape was of perfect length in Man of Steel.

I have mixed feelings about heat vision. If you present it as a concentrated discharge of Superman's energy stores, then it makes sense that he could vaporize an army of Doomsday clones but feel fatigued afterward. Conceptually, you would think of it as Superman's most powerful attack. But as we know, powers aren't portrayed consistently, so in the DCEU Cyborg can deflect a heat vision blast.

I think Returns did okay with the heat vision, or at least what little I recall. He went wide spectrum to melt all the falling shattered glass, which was a cool effect (though since I'm always harping on increasing the realism of the physics, maybe that wouldn't really be effective at saving people...). I think there are benefits in limiting the range of utilization for heat vision, like it takes some time to heat up, or there's only so much energy he can discharge per second, etc. On average, I prefer if the most amount of damage Superman can inflict on any singular action would be a flying punch or kick or stomp, not by giving you a dirty look.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think Returns did okay with the heat vision, or at least what little I recall. He went wide spectrum to melt all the falling shattered glass, which was a cool effect.
    I too thought that was a cool effect! There have been several scenes from live action depictions, where he has demonstrated abilities that I had never seen before. From Superman 1 I loved how he stopped the train from derailing by using his body as the rail itself for the train to go over him, followed by look over from the train driver with a WTF look on his face! From Man of Steel, I loved the oil rig scene, where Superman crumples what looks like a 10 inch reinforced steel door like tissue paper and reveals himself to be on fire! I don't think I've ever seen a depiction of him on fire up until that point, but it was very cool seeing it.

Is the the characteristic of heat vision being invisible to the naked eye still a thing?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm with you on the precision beams looking cooler, but I think Supergirl should have the wider beams since she's usually said to be a little less experienced and doesn't hold back as much. A visual representation and minor variations in the use of their powers would go a lot farther in making them unique without devolving into who can bench more or whatever.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I searched forever but I couldn't find where to put it. My controversial Superman opinion is about Batman. Christian Bale's Batman is perfect. His version of the character firmly establishes that Bruce Wayne is the real identity, in fact, Barman is always 12 year old Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight is still the best Superhero movie followed by a double feature of Christopher Reeve in Superman and Superman II.

Boisterously Confused

That is something I absolutely detested about BvS: the way Heat Vision was treated as Force Blast. It's also something I loved about Byrne's run: the idea Heat Vision was usually invisible (except at extreme intensity), and was more a psychokinetic effect than some kind of Laser Eyeballs thing.