Page 217 of 388 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    She actually made a brief appearance in a later book. Superman gets stuck in the Source Wall, so Bizarro finds people to help him rescue Superman... one of them was Cir-El.

I was really annoyed when they decided to erase her from history with time travel. :/
    But that was the whole point. Cir-El was a time paradox created by the.....crap what were the villains called? The Time Shapers or something like that? She wasn't supposed to exist and wasn't supposed to last beyond the story.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be *against* her return, I just don't get why she's still remembered all these years later.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But that was the whole point. Cir-El was a time paradox created by the.....crap what were the villains called? The Time Shapers or something like that? She wasn't supposed to exist and wasn't supposed to last beyond the story.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be *against* her return, I just don't get why she's still remembered all these years later.
    *Steps out of lurking*

The Futuresmiths, I believe. I somehow remember that despite never even reading those stories. Guess it helps I read and re-read DC/Superman encyclopedias a ton as a teen.

*Goes back to lurking*

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not gonna get into this too much, but I wouldn't say Guts has too much in common with the Punisher when his whole journey is taken into consideration. At this point in the story, things are less cynical, he's recognized dedicating his life to hunting demons and not cherishing the loves one has left is a terrible waste, and he has a new and ever growing set of allies who have made it pretty far. spoilers:
    Casca is also back
    end of spoilers And while some of them are likely going to die before the end, we're not getting Eclipse 2.0. Building a found family for himself is pretty similar to Bruce, and I think modern Bruce could really stand to take some characterization cues from Guts in who he deals with his new family (aloof/broody, but kind and appreciative).

And it handles it's grim, edgy darkness with more maturity for the most part compared to modern DC stuff, especially Batman.
    He is closer to Mad Max or Wolverine, who find reconecting with their humanity in spite the horrible things that life had led then too.

I would say thought that Miura make some mistakes at the beginning (was really the Wild Dogs arc neccesary), but i think that he has grown as a writer and has improved it (he himself acknoledged some of its problems).

Sorry for continuing that line of thougth, but i just wanted to add that
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

that's a thing you don't know until the end of the story.

As for why I remember her? I liked the stories they wrote that had her as Superman's adopted daughter. It's true there weren't many of them. But I liked them.

Cir-el as a concept couod work now, maybe change it up, maybe make her another lex clone "weapon",but she could be here for sure.

Hell she could have stories with her brothers kon and Jon, interesting stuff for sure. Also loved her powerset(slightly over golden age plus red sun manipulation)

Quote Originally Posted by Superman 1265 View Post
    *Steps out of lurking*

The Futuresmiths, I believe. I somehow remember that despite never even reading those stories. Guess it helps I read and re-read DC/Superman encyclopedias a ton as a teen.

*Goes back to lurking*
    Thank you, mysterious lurker!

that's a thing you don't know until the end of the story.

As for why I remember her? I liked the stories they wrote that had her as Superman's adopted daughter. It's true there weren't many of them. But I liked them.
    Don't get me wrong, I liked her too. It just surprises me that people still remember her.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It just bothers me that Cir-El's name defied Kryptonese naming gender norms, that's the main thing I remember her for.

I mean, if she did it on purpose, that'd be different, and in fact I might have no choice but to stan, but instead. I always felt like it was just kind of something the writers messed up on.

Oh well.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    It just bothers me that Cir-El's name defied Kryptonese naming gender norms, that's the main thing I remember her for.

I mean, if she did it on purpose, that'd be different, and in fact I might have no choice but to stan, but instead. I always felt like it was just kind of something the writers messed up on.

Oh well.
    She's not the only one. There's also Car-Vex. But that naming convention did actually have an exception for people who were orphans.

Of course there's also the idea that maybe Cir-El's name is a red flag that the Futuresmiths who named her didn't fully understand Kryptonian culture?

Astonishing Member

She's not the only one. There's also Car-Vex. But that naming convention did actually have an exception for people who were orphans.

Of course there's also the idea that maybe Cir-El's name is a red flag that the Futuresmiths who named her didn't fully understand Kryptonian culture?
    The Futuresmith's are very bad at puns.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

My latest controversial opinion, Jon is not the reason superdad exists. It is because superdad existed that jon became a thing.

Astonishing Member

Naughty Dog nailed the country guy angle so much better with Joel in The Last of Us than DC has with Clark that it's actually quite sad.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Here's one. If you're constantly bringing up how other characters from completely different stories are written to argue how modern Superman sucks, you're not any better at understanding Superman than the writers you criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Here's one. If you're constantly bringing up how other characters from completely different stories are written to argue how modern Superman sucks, you're not any better at understanding Superman than the writers you criticize.
    Ok, how else are you going to rate a story or character? Characters and narratives don't exist in vacuum in the first place.Most stories made by human intellect has a domain, therefore limits and similarities . the stories and themes have large intersectional qualities . Moreover, who says Understanding superman is the objective?Granted, Its all subjective. But, people can put forth their subjective judgement and scores.
    If a person feels that clark is written to be a stereotypical farmboy in vast swaths of his comics. I don't see any problem in that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-20-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Ok, how else are you going to rate a story or character? Characters and narratives don't exist in vacuum in the first place.Most stories made by human intellect has a domain, therefore limits and similarities . the stories and themes have large intersectional qualities . Moreover, who says Understanding superman is the objective?Granted, Its all subjective. But, people can put forth their subjective judgement and scores.
    If a person feels that clark is written to be a stereotypical farmboy in vast swaths of his comics. I don't see any problem in that.
    When it's appropriate. There are characters from manga/anime comparable to Superman, but they're characters like Goku, not Guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    When it's appropriate. There are characters from manga/anime comparable to Superman, but they're characters like Goku, not Guts.
    Goku's philosophical base isn't kantian or ugh! Abrahamic(Atleast, kant was using logic and reasoning as basis for ethics and morality, not some guy in the sky) in nature, modern superman's is. It's bushido and journey to the west. The character and his stories have different value system than Superman. So really, it's all about how the comparison is done. Guts and batman have the same philosophies and themes. It's not out of reach of comparison. Traumatic instances can happen to even superman.Such comparisons and discussion are'nt out of purview either. Also, i didn't compare superman to guts. I compared a hypothetical superman's trauma of being sexually abused to guts whole ordeal. I however, did say superman has same archetype as guts.it's like, superman uses same archetype as say, moses, krishna or karna.. Etc.