Page 226 of 388 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276326 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 5810

Yeah, for all the good he did in the 90s, and I'm not being blithe about that as he did a whole hell lot of good back then, his contributions the past decade have done more harm than good if not just completely unmemorable. There's a time when someone has just said all they've had to say with a character or that they missed the boat for whatever reasons on certain things they wanted to do, and trying to force it much much later just falls flat. That's about where Jurgens is with Superman today. I mean **** I'm just a fan, he's contributed more to the character than I ever will be able to as I'll always just be a fan. But he definitely doesn't have it anymore despite good intentions.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-14-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, for all the good he did in the 90s, and I'm not being blithe about that as he did a whole hell lot of good back then, his contributions the past decade have done more harm than good if not just completely unmemorable. There's a time when someone has just said all they've had to say with a character or that they missed the boat on certain things they wanted to do and trying to force it much much later just falls flat. That's about where Jurgens is with Superman today. I mean **** I'm just a fan, he's contributed more to the character than I ever will as I'll never be more than just a fan. But he definitely doesn't have it anymore despite good intentions.
    Death of Superman?

I think Reign was the true standout, but yeah Death and that whole saga. And I think the stuff that came after till DC decided to go in a new direction right before the millennium were highly enjoyable.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think Reign was the true standout, but yeah Death and that whole saga. And I think the stuff that came after till DC decided to go in a new direction right before the millennium were highly enjoyable.
    Why didn't he just introduced Jon back then? Why did they literally have to kill a Superman with potential to introduce a kid?

Back then there was a direct edict against Lois and Clark ever having children after they got married. This might have been after Jurgens but they even made Kryptonian and humans incompatible in regards to breeding to facilitate the edict. So if it was something he wanted to do at the time, surely it was something he wasn't allowed to do.

Should we get another reboot to clean the state? Superman continuity is kinda complex now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Should we get another reboot to clean the state? Superman continuity is kinda complex now
    Eh, why bother? They will bring Post-Crisis eventually.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

1. I liked Supergirl's volume 5/2005 run and personality. Not to be edgy, but I like Kara being rough around the edges personality wise. She's a teenager. Teenagers are moody and reckless and hormonal and all of that stuff, so this was honestly my favourite take of her. Her betraying Karen, her dating Boomerang, her messing things up everywhere she went. Clark is the big blue boy scout and those are big shoes to fill so it makes further sense for her to act out.

2. I like Kara being stronger than Clark. There I said it. I just feel like it adds an interesting dynamic to their relationship. Clark is the strongest person on the planet, but his little (big) cousin scares him a little. Clark would of course still be better at using his powers, but Kara is still overall stronger.

3. Clark & Lois getting married ruined their dynamic. The moment they got married all the fun and bantering in their relationship went out the window. The two should honestly always remain the biggest "will they, won't they" pairing in media history and only ever be together in future stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    A reboot would only make things more convoluted and confusing. Reboots never solve problems, they only add to them. And there's nothing a reboot can do that six months of quality story telling can't accomplish either, and be more entertaining and character-driven at the same time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

IF we ever get a reboot, DC would need to finally learn its lesson and chuck everything. Everything in the shared universe should start from scratch and be on the same page, with tighter editing. And stick to their guns.

But utilizing the multiverse to provide multiple takes would be preferable.

BANNED

People here is talking with Reboot, but this is DC, we are talking about. There will be writers like Tom King or Geoff Johns that said everything counts and messed up the continuation even more. So, don't bother by that.

Now might be one of the few times DC could actually pull off a full reboot. Given the way they've whittled down their line to just a core set of titles, they could conceivably reboot everything and restart it in a way that would allow for a coherent restart. The New 52 didn't work because they had to cram a full universe of titles in at the same time which just replaced old problems with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    People here is talking with Reboot, but this is DC, we are talking about. There will be writers like Tom King or Geoff Johns that said everything counts and messed up the continuation even more. So, don't bother by that.
    If BC is to be believed, those writers won't be driving the mainline books anymore. They can given them their vanity lines and prestige series and keep the DCU in the hands of lesser knowns who don't have that kind of pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Now might be one of the few times DC could actually pull off a full reboot. Given the way they've whittled down their line to just a core set of titles, they could conceivably reboot everything and restart it in a way that would allow for a coherent restart. The New 52 didn't work because they had to cram a full universe of titles in at the same time which just replaced old problems with new ones.

If BC is to be believed, those writers won't be driving the mainline books anymore. They can given them their vanity lines and prestige series and keep the DCU in the hands of lesser knowns who don't have that kind of pull.
    Without doubt DC will reboot again. Hell, it's likely coming soon, despite what Lee says. The New52 wasn't a reboot either, according to him and Didio, because they know that's a dirty word nobody actually wants to hear. But continuity has been a mess, intentionally, since 2016 (and unintentionally since, like, 1987) and they sort of *have* to fix that....which means establishing which origins are valid, which major events actually happened, etc.....and that's a reboot. I guess they're calling it a "un-boot" now or something, but a reboot by any other name still smells as bad.

As for whether they could actually pull off a fresh start right now, successfully.....yeah, they likely could. The smaller line and smaller talent pool should provide a clarity and level of communication DC usually can't manage and spending most of 2020 shut down but still working means they've had the time to build a new beginning that's actually well knit. Assuming they spent these months working towards such a goal anyway.

But the question is; *should* they, even if they can theoretically do it well? We know that digital and OGN's are going to be the company's main focus, and those are usually stand alone projects that exist within their own bubble and often re-tell stories from the past in new ways. The main line doing a reboot just means we'll get more of the same kind of story; origins and Elseworlds. What about advancing the narrative? That's how we got things like Nightwing, John Stewart, Damian Wayne, the Super marriage, etc., and the DCU would be worse off with those things gone. So instead of rebooting when the other formats are going to be treading similar ground, shouldn't the main line be looking forward and (slowly) advancing? Why not let Bruce be married to Selina in the main canon, we'll have a billion OGN's and digital books about a young, single Batman. Why not let Clark be earth president with a open identity, we'll have stories like Smashes the Klan where he's young and single.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

With Black Label basically folding, I wonder if there will still be a place for prestige out of continuity standalone minis/maxiseries

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    With Black Label basically folding, I wonder if there will still be a place for prestige out of continuity standalone minis/maxiseries
    The Wallmart line, I believe is still sufficed and the Digital is also a possibility for such a thing.