Page 248 of 388 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298348 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 5810

I think that there should be a new substance discovered besides kryptonite that gives Superman a really hard time. Just saying. It could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I think that there should be a new substance discovered besides kryptonite that gives Superman a really hard time. Just saying. It could work.
    In terms of being able to hurt him or a different substance that has the exact same effect on him? I’ve been doing some reading of various Superman stories throughout different time periods and franchises and there’s been a couple of new substances that can hurt him. Smallville S11 had Monitor energy. Metal had Dark Multiverse Energy. Morrison Action had Metal 0. So it’s been added into canon at different points.

Astonishing Member

Nope. Kryptonite is a flawed concept from the beginning. Adding another one but with a different name would just make it worse.

It just reinforces the idea that Superman is invincible except for Kryptonite.

You mean besides magic?

I think part of the deal with Kryptonite is that it had specific effects, and it's relatively rare. This seems like just another variant of Kryptonite, like Kryptonite 2, that doesn't necessarily come from an exploding Krypton.

Extraordinary Member

It’s called magic

Hack Snyder has ruined Superman chances to be big on the screen again. We seriously need a reboot or slmething

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Hack Snyder has ruined Superman chances to be big on the screen again. We seriously need a reboot or something
    I still say "no" to this.

I mean...its going to happen. Its only a question of when. When there's a Superman film again, it'll be a reboot. That doesn't automatically have to mean origin (though realistically it probably will), but its not going to be Cavill or Snyderverse related. It also won't be for a long time anyway.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I wanted to ask the board if at any times it would seem beneficial at all for Superman to be in his own verse without other super powered heroes? I rewatched MOT and it had so many others intimately woven into his origin. I wonder if for the three Can Do Anything type heroes (Supes, WW, and the Captain) they might be more suited to be in their own verses and that this would enable more mythic storytelling

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I wanted to ask the board if at any times it would seem beneficial at all for Superman to be in his own verse without other super powered heroes? I rewatched MOT and it had so many others intimately woven into his origin. I wonder if for the three Can Do Anything type heroes (Supes, WW, and the Captain) they might be more suited to be in their own verses and that this would enable more mythic storytelling
    This is both true and false.

It doesn't matter if Superman is in a shared universe or on his own, the quality of stories he'll have will stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I don't think so. Personally for me it's the opposite. I look at the old george Reeves show or even the fleisher shows and it's mostly just robots and gangsters... the 'superman' is better than any one else around... but its' just such a low bar that he doens't have to be THAT powerful. He doesn't need to lift a skyscraper when throwing a car is more than enough to do the job.

Having a shared universe where Superman is still by default 'the best' superhero means the stakes are a LOT higher. He's got to be able to outshine Batman, wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Lobo, Flash, etc. etc... Whether you like the 'competitiveness' of heroes or not.. and a lot of people don't, it still boosts the scale of his feats to MORE Mythic than if he was all by lonesome...

Captain Marvel though? I think he tends to get diminished more and more with Superman always having that #1 spot... so yeah, HIM I do think works better in his own world.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I don't think so. Personally for me it's the opposite. I look at the old george Reeves show or even the fleisher shows and it's mostly just robots and gangsters... the 'superman' is better than any one else around... but its' just such a low bar that he doens't have to be THAT powerful. He doesn't need to lift a skyscraper when throwing a car is more than enough to do the job.

Having a shared universe where Superman is still by default 'the best' superhero means the stakes are a LOT higher. He's got to be able to outshine Batman, wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Lobo, Flash, etc. etc... Whether you like the 'competitiveness' of heroes or not.. and a lot of people don't, it still boosts the scale of his feats to MORE Mythic than if he was all by lonesome...

Captain Marvel though? I think he tends to get diminished more and more with Superman always having that #1 spot... so yeah, HIM I do think works better in his own world.
    That's a good point, but I was assuming that his rogues gallery(Zod, Mongul, Brainiac, etc.) would still be there, so he'd still have major threats that he'd have to deal with.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This is both true and false.

It doesn't matter if Superman is in a shared universe or on his own, the quality of stories he'll have will stay the same.
    The why do people constantly bring up shared universe as reasoning for clark not doing anything that matters or has stakes.Anything risky.The best stories from superman is when there is three act structure.Rarely is his runs firecrackers and sales juggernauts.They need to rethink the way they sell superman.I say they need to invest on webcomic kinda deal with superman,that has a more newspaperstrip kinda deal.Superman is best when the pacing is crisp.Soap opera storytelling with exposition on "how hopeful he is" while the major focus of his actions is "Geeh!lois,why won't you go out on a date with me?" is pitiful way of handling the character.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I still say "no" to this.
    But...why? It doesn't have to be immediately, but like Sacred said it likely will happen and it doesn't necessarily even have to be an origin rehash.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But...why? It doesn't have to be immediately, but like Sacred said it likely will happen and it doesn't necessarily even have to be an origin rehash.
    Whether or not it was an origin movie, honestly wasn't the problem. It's the fact that they're all "Superman-in-name-only".