Page 254 of 388 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264304354 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 5810
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't think things were ever that dire for bruce(unless he was taken out by a ninja or fel on his head doing hand stand).But in general alfred is unable to take the dude away from that environment and trauma,until he is strong enough to move past it.Eh!kents were dead for many years.They weren't much focus.The only real advice for clark was "hide your strength.people are gonna be afraid of you" and"wait, don't do that.wait for right time to use your strength to help humanity ".That's their big contribution.I have got zero evidence that kents or the els for that matter are this important figures in clarks or kal's life so much so that superman becomes a mere tool for acting out their morality than forging his own.When they are alive,they are shitty parents.Oh!yeah! a guy wants to be a vigilante and these guys are like "you go son,make us proud".anyways People forget,this is superman's story.Not jor el's or jonathans. See,i find it wierd that people care less if els give superman lessons.They want clark to recieve morals from kents.I genuinely hate superman being stuck with his parents both sets of them.Eeesh!it's like the guy can't grow up.I mean,what is with people wanting protagonists to be like that. I mean,don't people value indiviuality and independence as qualities in protagonists.
    Well as for clark's leanings.I think it's better to use allegories and things like that.Superman being center left is wishful thinking.He is monkey d luffy from american comics.That's all i have to say and that's my perspective.
    Then why are you insistent that he was raised in a tough environment? The Dursley's a text book example of that sort of environment. It's abusive. Alfred wasn't locking him in cupboards and destroying his self worth. Just beaches Alfred wasn't the best parent didn't make him an abusive one, Lex had this in spades. Not being able to get Bruce out of his trauma didn't make him a bad parent, no parent could do that - that's what therapists are for. In many continuities they'r alive and well, and they don't need to be the focus they're not supposed to be but they're still a big influence on Clark because they're his parents. You need to look harder across comics and other media, its littered with examples of them doing this - Smallville, Donner's Superman, Superman TAS, even Snyder's Superman movies do this. Clark ins't a pawn for them, they guide his morality like parents are supposed to and he takes it further once he's an adult. Nobody is forgetting he's the hero of this story, it's ok to acknowledge Superman had help from people to get where he is. He wasn't born Superman. Why? Jor-El and his mother impact how he views his own cultures, they're his window into his heritage, as well as Kara. He's not complete without both his human and Kryptonian sides to his personality. Growing up isn't ignoring the parents influence, they're there for assistance when they need it. Many heroes do this, like Spider-man and Wonder Woman. It's a thing people do. They can be individuals and still rely on others for support. Superman doesn't need to close himself off from anyone who wants to help him make decisions, it's easier to find solutions with more options available. This is why people go to friends, family and mentors for guidance. It's a sounding board and helps ground people in reality. The only Superman which doesn't come off as centre left I'd say was Snyder's DCEU, and why don't you view him a such? That wasn't explained in any detail. I have no clue why you think Clark's conservative. I think you have plenty to say about that subject, I'd like to hear more. How is Luffy conservative? He's very understanding, inclusive and non judgmental of the people around him.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Then why are you insistent that he was raised in a tough environment? The Dursley's a text book example of that sort of environment. It's abusive. Alfred wasn't locking him in cupboards and destroying his self worth. Just beaches Alfred wasn't the best parent didn't make him an abusive one, Lex had this in spades.
    cause he was.His childhood is shitty.What the heck are you even arguing about?i am getting seriously Pissed with this lex,lex nonesense.Hate to break it to you pal.Not everyone gets great childhood.Doesn't mean we are all gonna be monsters.Sure,we have demons.Everyone has them.I have seen kids and friends pull through from ****.You equating everyone of us and making us out to be lex luthor Is not tolerable.Moreover,what are you even saying? if alfred had did that,Bruce would be shitty person?Good luck with that.You don't need to be a therapist to take someone away from a toxic enviornment.Sure,you would need them to help,if you need it later on.Fine,i am lex luthor.I would prefer being lex luthor.Than jesus christ wannabe that has everything handed to him and still instead of trying to understand,gives platitudes and bullshit speeches.You say clark isn't a pawn.But,the stories dependence on them as integral part of the narrative say otherwise.Have you seen any other books or literary works where a protagonist literally owes his very state of being in particular place in time to his parents.That he needs them to solve anything and everything.Ofcourse,people need each other.But,people being dependent on another is different deal.Yeah! i am not a fan of that.Hate to break it to you.Superman would be too on the right to be centre left.He is vigilante that decided to piss off the system and authorities.As said,He is monkey d luffy of american comics.That's just my view of things.Also,i don't like dceu superman cause he is a stick.he barely exists.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-24-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Then why are you insistent that he was raised in a tough environment? The Dursley's a text book example of that sort of environment. It's abusive. Alfred wasn't locking him in cupboards and destroying his self worth. Just beaches Alfred wasn't the best parent didn't make him an abusive one, Lex had this in spades. Not being able to get Bruce out of his trauma didn't make him a bad parent, no parent could do that - that's what therapists are for. In many continuities they'r alive and well, and they don't need to be the focus they're not supposed to be but they're still a big influence on Clark because they're his parents. You need to look harder across comics and other media, its littered with examples of them doing this - Smallville, Donner's Superman, Superman TAS, even Snyder's Superman movies do this. Clark ins't a pawn for them, they guide his morality like parents are supposed to and he takes it further once he's an adult. Nobody is forgetting he's the hero of this story, it's ok to acknowledge Superman had help from people to get where he is. He wasn't born Superman. Why? Jor-El and his mother impact how he views his own cultures, they're his window into his heritage, as well as Kara. He's not complete without both his human and Kryptonian sides to his personality. Growing up isn't ignoring the parents influence, they're there for assistance when they need it. Many heroes do this, like Spider-man and Wonder Woman. It's a thing people do. They can be individuals and still rely on others for support. Superman doesn't need to close himself off from anyone who wants to help him make decisions, it's easier to find solutions with more options available. This is why people go to friends, family and mentors for guidance. It's a sounding board and helps ground people in reality. The only Superman which doesn't come off as centre left I'd say was Snyder's DCEU, and why don't you view him a such? That wasn't explained in any detail. I have no clue why you think Clark's conservative. I think you have plenty to say about that subject, I'd like to hear more. How is Luffy conservative? He's very understanding, inclusive and non judgmental of the people around him.

This is what I think is Superman's political identity. I think he is agnostic. Certainly omce he comes to understand that Krypton had a very different god from the Christian one he wouldn't trust strongly the Bible. I think his parents would be christian conservatives that started to question if there was a god once Clark came into their lives, because while at first it seemed like destiny and he appearrd to be a messiah, eventually they realizes that God didn't appear to them in a vision like it happened in the Bible. And he arrived in a spaceship that seemed to come from a very scientifical world, so his powers probably had to do with that, and not godly intervention.

I think Clark grew up in a farm and he learned very intimately the plight of a small farmer. He learnee the importance of every person being autonomous, and able to take care of themselves, but also realized that there are many obstacles for a poor person to overcome. Once Jonathan had hia first heart attack I think Clark realized how screwed up the Healthcare system is for example, not only the price, but also the fact that there weren't many hospitals near his community because companirs didn't have much of an incentive to create one where there were few people and all of them were poor.

I think Clark also saw what privilege means from a first hand experience. He knows that nobody can compete with him in so many things and that he has a responsibility to others to create a fair place for everyone. This is a case where his parents might disagree with him, at least at first. Once he came to Metropolis though, then I think it was cemented in his view that people have to be held accountable everywhere, in government and in business, and I think he would conclude that Government is the one that has to make sure the rules of the world are fair for everyone and should have the capacity to supporr others and take the excess off the Top class. It's not about entitlement, it's about a healthy world. So I think he would be Center Left on the economy. His conservative parents probably instilled a bit of a limit on how far left he would go. (Thus doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer for him to be a progressive, but he isn't one)

On social issues I think his study of the human body with his senses including x ray scans of ghe brain, would show him that everyone is the same deep down and deserves to be treated with respect. But beyond that I struggle to imagine he is anything but conservative. I don't think he would have been the first person to support Gay marriage. Not that he wants discrimination, but I think he still grew up woth this vision of the nuclear family and probably feels that the governmenr should encourage it. He obviously doesn't think the government should spy on people, because then he is at risk of having his secrets exposed.

Strangely I think he would be pro choice. Not out of deep concern for the woman's body, but because he doesn't believe the theory that a fetus is a human being. Clark can use his X-ray vision to look at people's brain activity. He can't read their thoughts, but he can see their joy and fear in them. He can do the same thing with animals. And once he looks at a fetus with his X-ray vision he would see that an animal has a baby dog has more complex brain activity than a 2 month old fetus.

I'm not sure od his view on guns, but I know that he doesn't believs guns are enough to stop a tyrannical government anymore, and Clark probably thinks whichever side he is on automatically wins. But he still might not want more gun control, I don't know.

Oh and once his reached adulthood he would be very unsure of international politics. I don't think he would have strong positions in how the U.S. government shouldn or shouldn't interfere in the World. But he himself is probably a global person.

To be clear, this isn't me sharing my own personal opinions, I am completely progressive from Europe. But I think Clark Kent is a complex human being and these re the positions I calculate he would have based on his life experience.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 12-24-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Funny enough, while I think Clark would be pro choice, Wonder Woman would be pro life, with a huge support of the idea that an embryo is a human being. She might be a bit weary of the government imposing themselves on a woman's body, but I think deep doen she would still be pro life.

Black t-shirt Superboy > Leather jacket Superboy.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    This is what I think is Superman's political identity. I think he is agnostic. Certainly omce he comes to understand that Krypton had a very different god from the Christian one he wouldn't trust strongly the Bible. I think his parents would be christian conservatives that started to question if there was a god once Clark came into their lives, because while at first it seemed like destiny and he appearrd to be a messiah, eventually they realizes that God didn't appear to them in a vision like it happened in the Bible. And he arrived in a spaceship that seemed to come from a very scientifical world, so his powers probably had to do with that, and not godly intervention.

I think Clark grew up in a farm and he learned very intimately the plight of a small farmer. He learnee the importance of every person being autonomous, and able to take care of themselves, but also realized that there are many obstacles for a poor person to overcome. Once Jonathan had hia first heart attack I think Clark realized how screwed up the Healthcare system is for example, not only the price, but also the fact that there weren't many hospitals near his community because companirs didn't have much of an incentive to create one where there were few people and all of them were poor.

I think Clark also saw what privilege means from a first hand experience. He knows that nobody can compete with him in so many things and that he has a responsibility to others to create a fair place for everyone. This is a case where his parents might disagree with him, at least at first. Once he came to Metropolis though, then I think it was cemented in his view that people have to be held accountable everywhere, in government and in business, and I think he would conclude that Government is the one that has to make sure the rules of the world are fair for everyone and should have the capacity to supporr others and take the excess off the Top class. It's not about entitlement, it's about a healthy world. So I think he would be Center Left on the economy. His conservative parents probably instilled a bit of a limit on how far left he would go. (Thus doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer for him to be a progressive, but he isn't one)

On social issues I think his study of the human body with his senses including x ray scans of ghe brain, would show him that everyone is the same deep down and deserves to be treated with respect. But beyond that I struggle to imagine he is anything but conservative. I don't think he would have been the first person to support Gay marriage. Not that he wants discrimination, but I think he still grew up woth this vision of the nuclear family and probably feels that the governmenr should encourage it. He obviously doesn't think the government should spy on people, because then he is at risk of having his secrets exposed.

Strangely I think he would be pro choice. Not out of deep concern for the woman's body, but because he doesn't believe the theory that a fetus is a human being. Clark can use his X-ray vision to look at people's brain activity. He can't read their thoughts, but he can see their joy and fear in them. He can do the same thing with animals. And once he looks at a fetus with his X-ray vision he would see that an animal has a baby dog has more complex brain activity than a 2 month old fetus.

I'm not sure od his view on guns, but I know that he doesn't believs guns are enough to stop a tyrannical government anymore, and Clark probably thinks whichever side he is on automatically wins. But he still might not want more gun control, I don't know.

Oh and once his reached adulthood he would be very unsure of international politics. I don't think he would have strong positions in how the U.S. government shouldn or shouldn't interfere in the World. But he himself is probably a global person.

To be clear, this isn't me sharing my own personal opinions, I am completely progressive from Europe. But I think Clark Kent is a complex human being and these re the positions I calculate he would have based on his life experience.
    Right, well please remember that these opinions concern the character and not other posters
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Right, well please remember that these opinions concern the character and not other posters
    The two posters before me were discussing what Superman's political leanings were. I just went into more detail on his beliefs and the reasons for them, due to me seeing him as occupying this very unique set of positions that didn't give him a proper classification such as conservative or liberal, or right libertarian, or Social Democrat

We need our own Batlol

What the hell is a batlol? (I expect some kind of pun)

I imagine RAO two different ways. If GOD is real then RAO is simply krypton's name for him. Otherwise GOD is a concept that was adopted independantly by krypton & much of earth. Then RAO is the name krypton gave the concept of the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator GOD. Maybe Kal-El is a deist. He believes that RAO/YAHWEH/JEHOVAH/GOD/LORD/ALLAH is real, but he sees all organized religions as flawed.
    Last edited by llozymandias; 12-24-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Astonishing Member

What the hell is a batlol? (I expect some kind of pun)
    Possibly a nickname for Batman Who Laughs. Personally, I hope we NEVER get a Superman version of BWL.

Am I racist for not wanting to see a Black Superman? I mean Calvin Ellis is okay I guess as long as they are not trying to rewrite Clark as Black or Bruce Wayne as a Black Batman as well. As long as there is a good story behind it but changing a character's race to black just because of recent terrible events in the news to me is not a good idea. I mean I don't want to see a white Blade or a White Black Lightening either. I do not consider myself racist but if this makes me appear so I am truly sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not crazy about a Superman in T-shirt and jeans unless it's Superboy .
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Black t-shirt Superboy > Leather jacket Superboy.
    I prefer the leather jacket and tights look. I liked it much better than the black t-shirt and jeans.

Controversial and Unpopular Opionions?

Superboy should NEVER have existed. Clark shouldnt have gotten his powers fully until he was mature, i.e., ready to graduate Smallville High.
    Most Silver Age trappings are garbage... except the Bottle City. The extended family of Kryptonians should have been limited to Kara Zor-El/Linda Lee, the Matrix etc.