Page 260 of 388 FirstFirst ... 160210250256257258259260261262263264270310360 ... LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 5810
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Until a writer decides Superman doesn't have any weaknesses, including kryptonite. It's happened often enough in stories, granted, not so much in the main continuity I suppose, but how much it hurts him has fluctuated.

Other characters have been weakened plenty of times. And the example you chose is a little funny because Wonder Woman was reduced to fighting Desthstroke in one of her issues last year.

She didn't loose or even look like she was struggle too much I guess, but they defiantly had to weaken her or make desthstroke a lot stronger so they could even have a sword fight to begin with.
    superman: kryptonite (green, gold, pink, there are all colors), magic (the simple presence of magic weakens him), red sun, lack of sun, telepathy, I think that's it.
    ww: no weakness.
    green lantern: no weakness.
    flash: no weakness.
    aquaman: no weakness.
    That superman loses a weakness in a comic does not mean anything because he has another 20, also in a comic he loses a weakness but in another he gains a new one (people praying they managed to weaken Superman). Superman has also fought against deathstroke, Batman drew blood from him, there are many cases in which beings far inferior to Superman have beaten him up.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    superman: kryptonite (green, gold, pink, there are all colors), magic (the simple presence of magic weakens him), red sun, lack of sun, telepathy, I think that's it.
    ww: no weakness.
    green lantern: no weakness.
    flash: no weakness.
    aquaman: no weakness.
    That superman loses a weakness in a comic does not mean anything because he has another 20, also in a comic he loses a weakness but in another he gains a new one (people praying they managed to weaken Superman). Superman has also fought against deathstroke, Batman drew blood from him, there are many cases in which beings far inferior to Superman have beaten him up.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

To be fair, both of these are way more inconsistent than any of Superman's big weaknesses.

To add to that:

Flash is also weak to cold, it slows down his molecules. Hence why the villain Captain Cold is even in his rouges gallery.

Green Lantern also has the super deep weakness of self doubt. (That's everyone's weakness deep down though, isn't it.)

Wonder Woman had another weakness...we don't talk about that one though...

Aquamans biggest weakness is the lasting effect the Super Friends cartoon had on his character.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 03-25-2021 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    To be fair, both of these are way more inconsistent than any of Superman's big weaknesses.
    That is fair, though I'd say that's also as much Superman has more consistency management by DC and prominence than DC's other heavy hitters other than Batman so almost by default that stuff is going to treated as more integral to Superman's franchise.
    To add to that:

Flash is also weak to cold, it slows down his molecules. Hence why the villain Captain Cold is even in his rouges gallery.

Green Lantern also has the super deep weakness of self doubt. (That's everyone's weakness deep down though, isn't it.)

Aquamans biggest weakness is the lasting effect the Super Friends cartoon had on his character.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Superman's only unique weakness are red sunlight, Kryptonite, and Q Energy. Anything else is a vulnerability and typically he's a little better with resisting with those (blunt force, breathing, magic, etc)
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

To add to that:

In regard to Flash's weakness, I don't really think that Captain Cold was originally thought of as a villain for Flash because absolute zero reduces particle movement down to nothing, but it sure works out great for Flash that that is the case. Also, extreme cold should be a vulnerability for most heroes. At the very least, you can slow down guys like Superman and Doomsday by freezing them, even if a lot of action sequences show that as a temporary condition that's not so hard to overcome.

In regard to that unintentionally funny ASBAR GL scene, it's important to note that GL's weaknesses have been scaled back. WW lost her bondage (there, I said it ) weakness. And I think Aquaman's stigma from Super Friends is essentially retired. I think Superman and Martian Manhunter have the only so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it exploitable weaknesses left (I'm under the assumption that you can't just pull GL's ring off like in New 52 JL#1).

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    In regard to Flash's weakness, I don't really think that Captain Cold was originally thought of as a villain for Flash because absolute zero reduces particle movement down to nothing, but it sure works out great for Flash that that is the case. Also, extreme cold should be a vulnerability for most heroes. At the very least, you can slow down guys like Superman and Doomsday by freezing them, even if a lot of action sequences show that as a temporary condition that's not so hard to overcome.
    Lol, true. Sometimes when I read through all the old-timey comics I stubble upon some almost not pseudo science, but yeah I'm sure the writer was more "cold gun cool" than "flash moves fast so we need some science that would keep him still."

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    In regard to that unintentionally funny ASBAR GL scene, it's important to note that GL's weaknesses have been scaled back. WW lost her bondage (there, I said it ) weakness. And I think Aquaman's stigma from Super Friends is essentially retired. I think Superman and Martian Manhunter have the only so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it exploitable weaknesses left (I'm under the assumption that you can't just pull GL's ring off like in New 52 JL#1).
    El Gasp! The unspoken Wonder Woman weakness has been uttered! (It was only a weakness depending on who was doing the tying am-I-right)

Incredible Member

GLs just replaced their yellow weakness with a "your ring runs out of charge at least once every 3 issues" weakness.

BANNED

1: ww weakness appears once every 10 years, due to ww speed it is not a real weakness (it is impossible to use it in combat), kryptonite and magic have brought superman to his knees with his simple presence, I do not remember to ww on his knees to see a bullet.
    2: green lantern weakness is a joke, it works when the writer wants it.
    3: the weakness of flash does not exist, it is impossible to use it unless the flash sees its power reduced (dash).
    Let's say they are weaknesses, they are still less than Superman's, their effectiveness is not even 1% of kryptonite, and their exposure both in comics and in other media is almost nil.
    When a movie in which ww ends up half killed by a bullet.

the reality is that flash can defeat the entire league including superman in 1s, ww has a level comparable to superman much more skillful and without weaknesses that superman can use, green lantern has superman level and can create kryptonite, but for some reason superman is Too powerful and it is necessary to reduce its power, I am sure that if the power of Superman is reduced to that of a normal man, the fans will continue saying that it is very powerful and it is necessary to make it weaker.

1: ww weakness appears once every 10 years, due to ww speed it is not a real weakness (it is impossible to use it in combat), kryptonite and magic have brought superman to his knees with his simple presence, I do not remember to ww on his knees to see a bullet.
    3: the weakness of flash does not exist, it is impossible to use it unless the flash sees its power reduced (dash).
    Let's say they are weaknesses, they are still less than Superman's, their effectiveness is not even 1% of kryptonite, and their exposure both in comics and in other media is almost nil.
    When a movie in which ww ends up half killed by a bullet.

the reality is that flash can defeat the entire league including superman in 1s, ww has a level comparable to superman much more skillful and without weaknesses that superman can use, green lantern has superman level and can create kryptonite, but for some reason superman is Too powerful and it is necessary to reduce its power, I am sure that if the power of Superman is reduced to that of a normal man, the fans will continue saying that it is very powerful and it is necessary to make it weaker.

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 03-25-2021 at 11:43 AM.

I think Flash has often been described as potentially the most powerful JL team member, but that's not how writers consistently portray him. In the bad old days of the early seasons of the JL cartoon, he had super speed, but they intentionally made it so that he was like what if you gave a regular human super speed but not super reflexes. So you could easily trip him up, or he'd lose a fist fight to John Stewart (not using his ring) or Batman (in the tie-in comic).

You can't cherrypick examples here by listing Superman's worst portrayals against other heroes' best. Of course Superman is going to come out looking terrible.

Panel I posted was from 3-4 years ago.

This one's from 2 years ago.

So does Kryptonite if we're being honest.

Kryptonite effects Superman as much as the writer's story requires it to effect Superman. It's gone from instant power drainer to gradual power drainer that he can fight through. Not to mention it varying on how close Superman has to be to it for it actually effect him.

Panel I posted was from 3-4 years ago.

This one's from 2 years ago.

So does Kryptonite if we're being honest.

Kryptonite effects Superman as much as the writer's story requires it to effect Superman. It's gone from instant power drainer to gradual power drainer that he can fight through. Not to mention it varying on how close Superman has to be to it for it actually effect him.
    He picked up a whole island of Kryptonite one time. Was that in Superman Returns? I can't remember honestly.