Page 277 of 388 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327377 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 5810
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Superman having friends... who would have thought that that would be a controversial opinion yet here we are
    It's called fortress of solitude.....not fortress of multitude
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Isn't Batman his BFF?
    I doubt it but they are friends.
    #I recall coming across a comic panel where a villain want to get at Superman by targeting the person he cares for the most and it's batman.

Pretty sure it from a DC comic not a fan made one but I could be wrong. did that ever happen in the comics? Can anyone recall?

Anyway they are friends even if Bruce isn't the easiest person to be friends with which says a lot about Clark as a person.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It's called fortress of solitude.....not fortress of multitude
    I guess I just don't see how having the Fortress of Solitude and having friends are mutually exclusive. I mean, he can have both, can't he? But that's just me I guess.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I guess I just don't see how having the Fortress of Solitude and having friends are mutually exclusive. I mean, he can have both, can't he? But that's just me I guess.
    Because the solitude is his state of mind.A friend should be someone who atleast knows you.Clark doesn't let others know him or who he is.He has people around.But the guy is too busy dreaming about some perfect land with "diginity and honor" or dead planet or family or whatever.The only person who actually knows clark is his dog.It's kinda sad and sometimes pathetic actually.That's why lex is cool.People can atleast get to know the guy.And he is supposed to be this master criminal..You can under lex's skin pretty easily.Just say "I am the greatest thing and i am better than you".But,with clark you can't do that.He plays too many roles,has too many identities...etc.People wouldn't know if the guy is genuinely good or nice or just putting on an act or feeding some complex he has.So there you go.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-19-2021 at 11:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I doubt it but they are friends.
    #I recall coming across a comic panel where a villain want to get at Superman by targeting the person he cares for the most and it's batman.

Pretty sure it from a DC comic not a fan made one but I could be wrong. did that ever happen in the comics? Can anyone recall?

Anyway they are friends even if Bruce isn't the easiest person to be friends with which says a lot about Clark as a person.
    I think it was in the new 52, ​​phantom king a villain from the ghost zone somehow was able to go out and use miniature kryptonians as bullets, everyone thought he would kill Lois but he tried to kill batman.

Also... some stories play the Fortress of Solitude like the Batcave and have multiple people with access. I can think of one comic book run where Supergirl could freely access it. Then in DCAU multiple people could visit it at will, in fact one episode has Superman fight Mongul there.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Also... some stories play the Fortress of Solitude like the Batcave and have multiple people with access. I can think of one comic book run where Supergirl could freely access it. Then in DCAU multiple people could visit it at will, in fact one episode has Superman fight Mongul there.
    Visitors that leave without ever making the place their home.A place with a key that can only be used by superman(that thing is humongous).since,dcau is a topic then it's a place where a bunch of strays get to "live" .If you can call surviving like that living.But,then again not sentient spieces and needs help.That puts clark firmly back in solitude.Heck!the cousin with free access to fortress didn't get to see it being made and at the end of the day is not hers.Batcave has robins living in it.It's their home as well.Batman no matter how broken he is .Always is surrounded by friends and family.always.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-19-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I'd agree "solitude" is an important part of Superman, as is his multiple identities making it hard for people to truly get close to him (and not just "impersonally friendly"); but if nothing else, I'd certainly say Lois is a friend of his.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Because the solitude is his state of mind.A friend should be someone who atleast knows you.Clark doesn't let others know him or who he is.He has people around.But the guy is too busy dreaming about some perfect land with "diginity and honor" or dead planet or family or whatever.The only person who actually knows clark is his dog.It's kinda sad and sometimes pathetic actually.That's why lex is cool.People can atleast get to know the guy.And he is supposed to be this master criminal..You can under lex's skin pretty easily.Just say "I am the greatest thing and i am better than you".But,with clark you can't do that.He plays too many roles,has too many identities...etc.People wouldn't know if the guy is genuinely good or nice or just putting on an act or feeding some complex he has.So there you go.
    Always is surrounded by friends and family.always.
    While I appreciate your opinion, it’s just not one that I share. I simply don’t see it that just because there is a fortress of solitude that Clark is aloof to the point of being permanently detached from humanity and not having true friends. He can have both solitude and friends. Frankly, I think that his varying degrees of friendship are what tethers him to this world, not the least of which are Lois, Ma and Pa, etc. I see his group of family and friends as being part of who he is.

I also do not think people have to be with their friends or family literally 100% of the time. Some alone time can actually strengthen friendships and is perfectly healthy.

Afraid we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 05-19-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I'd have Teen Jon be more reserved or he'd have Jordan's anxiety issues. I don't mind the timeskip but it needed a stronger change than just Jon growing a few inches. He feels too unchanged by it which made the timeskip feel pointless. Him coming back older but more reserved or suffering anxiety just felt more interesting to me.

Davood Nassour comes back and gets the Tim Fox treatment. I'd go one step further and make him the Future State Superman instead of Jon.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Davood_Nassur_(New_Earth)
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...superhero/amp/

Superman inspire other heroes from different backgrounds just appeals to me more than passing the torch to another Kryptonian.

I'll settle for a solo set in LA.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-27-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Isn't Batman his BFF?
    it's been stated multiple times, in some stories yes.

I don't think he should be Superman's best friend, unless DC's trying to say Superman doesn't have any other friends.

Someone from Kansas he grew up with. Jimmy. Lois. John Henry Irons. Or one of 100 other heroes. I'm not saying he can't be friends with Batman or even really good friends, but given how Batman is written these days and how Superman is usually portrayed you'd think there would be a few others he'd be closer too.
    The J-man

BANNED

Here is my controversial opinion

If Superman was 8 years old when krypton was destroyed and suffered from survivors guilt due to being the only survivor of his race...Superman would be a more popular character

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Here is my controversial opinion

If Superman was 8 years old when krypton was destroyed and suffered from survivors guilt due to being the only survivor of his race...Superman would be a more popular character
    On the one hand, that kind of angst sells, sure, and in arguably his most popular period (the Silver Age) he did remember what life on Krypton was like.

On the other hand, it sure hasn't made Kara more popular than her cousin, and it sure hasn't helped Martian Manhunter either.

Retired

I don't know if it's controversial, but I feel like if things had gone differently and Superman was now the most popular character rather than Batman, all the quibbles would disappear.

There would still be people complaining he's too over-powered or he's too godlike--just as people complain about the Bat-God and his morose nature. But none of those complaints would mean anything, because the publisher would put out tons of Super books. Writers wouldn't say it's too hard to write him--they'd find a way to write him, because they need the money.

I mean this was the case in the past, when Superman was the big gun and writers were straining their brains what to do with Batman. If they think they can make money from the character, they will put all their resources toward getting everything they can out of him.

BANNED

there is a small difference, when superman was the most popular they used it to make other characters known, a clear example is batman, they started as a team for batman to take advantage of superman's popularity, in the most famous batman comic that I believe the modern batman, superman is destroyed in every way, but with batman you do not see anything like it, I do not remember a comic in which batman is destroyed so that others look good. The reality is that practically from its inception, Superman was a tool to grow the comic book industry, so it does not matter if Superman sells 100,000 or 10,000 a month, he will continue to be the punching bag of the comic.