Page 291 of 388 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291292293294295301341 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,365 of 5810
    Astonishing Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kal probably does go down on women. He's suppose to be a kind and generous guy.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Ha, I was wondering if that whole thing would make it to these boards...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kal probably does go down on women. He's suppose to be a kind and generous guy.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Lois is definitely one happy gal

Hi, Super Fans!! My controversial Superman opinion today is that while we fans know of the two items that can thwart Superman's vast invulnerability, the in-universe denizens shoulder have access to that information.

Further things like Kryptonite should not be readily available

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Selina knows who's down to party! Speaking of Batman, in my personal head canon the Nolan Batman movies take place in the same universe as the Superboy TV show.
    Assassinate Putin!

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

It's time to retire silver age concepts out of Superman. Experiment with something new and see what works.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think it's left totally up to the reader as to what the Man of Steel did or did not know in those original years (1938 - 1948), because it's almost never mentioned in the stories themselves. And that frustrates me, because Siegel and Shuster were science fiction fans and yet they left Krypton on the table rather than exploiting it for their Superman adventures.

"Superman Returns to Krypton" by Bill Finger in SUPERMAN 61 (November-December 1949) makes it seem like he had no knowledge at all before then; however, to me, that's retroactive continuity.

In the daily strip for December 13th, 1939, in one panel, he does say to Lois that he doesn't know where he comes from. But put yourself in the shoes of your average Superman reader in the 1940s. In the first place, you would have had to read that in your local newspaper that day and retain that knowledge. And most contemporary readers wouldn't know that or give it much thought if they did.

And why would he only think about his origins in Bill Finger's story ten years later? It doesn't make a lot of sense. It surely would have been something he wondered about and asked the Kents about. Maybe if the K-Metal story had been published in 1940 this would have been addressed a lot sooner.

On the radio show, it didn't matter because Superman arrives on Earth fully grown, so he must know he's from Krypton. And Kryptonite, "The Meteor from Krypton," is introduced there in June 1943,

Readers were always reminded that Superman came from Krypton in the origin stories and in the introductions to other stories. And they used it for merchandising purposes for the Krypto-Raygun. So if I were an average reader back then, I'd just naturally assume my hero knows as much about himself as I do.

And then after SUPERMAN 61 comes out and has Superman return to Krypton, in less than a year, SUPERBOY 8 (May-June 1950), Bill Finger has Ma Kent showing young Clark old films of himself as a baby and telling him that he arrived in a rocketship from another planet, "When Superboy Was a Superbaby." Of course, Superboy and Superman comics were not always singing from the same hymn book (even though in this case it's the exact same writer). However, only a year after SUPERBOY 8, "The Kid From Krypton" (possibly by Edmond Hamilton), in ACTION COMICS 158 (July 1951), establishes that Superboy stories are part of Superman's continuity.

So it's really only for this transitional period between 1949 and 1951, that Superman's knowledge of Krypton is in flux. This kind of thing happens a lot in the comics. A present event gradually seeps into the continuity and becomes part of the established past.

SUPERMAN 61's story did its job--proving the value of exploiting Krypton and Kryptonite in Superman yarns--and once it accomplished that feat, it made itself redundant.
    If the K-metal issue (1940) is to go by, Siegel wanted to do more sci-fi ideas with Superman, but the power that be at the time weren't willing and Superman was turning in product of the radio serial,Fleischer cartoon, and even the 1942 novel. I believe Superman is somewhere, all of Siegel and Shuster's ideas for the character.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 06-30-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I don’t think he did on Lori Lemaris though.

Astonishing Member

I think the reason a lot of modern writers even the well regarded ones tend to find Superman difficult to write is because the character requires a level of nuance that doesn't really exist anymore plus they just take themselves and the character to seriously. The "human deep down" stuff is a good example of this.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

superman is difficult to write for the same reason as ww, green lanter, etc.
    Powerful characters are limited by a shared universe, Batman stories can have consequences because those consequences affect only Gotham, that is why even bad comics are fun, in the case of Superman its consequences affect the whole earth, that's why Either you are very good and you understand superman, or the comics will end up being very bad.
    Anyone can write Batman and his level characters, Superman and his level characters can only be written by the best, which is why the best Superman comics are stories out of canon.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Batman stories can have consequences because those consequences affect only Gotham, that is why even bad comics are fun, in the case of Superman its consequences affect the whole earth
    I think many Fleischer/Famous shorts and many other Superman shows and comics kinda undercut this assertion. The stakes in Superman comics don't always have to affect "the whole earth." Metropolis-confined stakes have worked fine in Superman comics/media.

(now I do think you're more often going to get more globe-affecting stakes with Superman stories, and that's right and appropriate, but Metropolis-only stakes can and have worked fine over the years)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-29-2021 at 07:46 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    My controversial Superman opinion for today is that Superman's No Kill Policy is not unreasonable at all given the vastness of his power and resources. It seems more than reasonable given his upbringing as well.
    I agree, and I don't think (main canon) writers should even try to mess with it, risk creating the wrong impressions, like Byrne did with the Phantom Zoners, Zach Snyder, etc. DC Comics is not Marvel Comics, and Batman comics are not Superman comics.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think many Fleischer/Famous shorts and many other Superman shows and comics kinda undercut this assertion. The stakes in Superman comics don't always have to affect "the whole earth." Metropolis-confined stakes have worked fine in Superman comics/media.

(now I do think you're more often going to get more globe-affecting stakes with Superman stories, and that's right and appropriate, but Metropolis-only stakes can and have worked fine over the years)
    You're right, but for that you have to be a very good writer and know Superman, most writers don't have that level or knowledge, that's why stories are bad and boring, out of 10 comics, 9 are boring and 1 is good.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

DCAU too! Some of the bad guys in DCAU were just super-tech thieves.