Page 301 of 388 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305311351 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    This is an interesting thread on Superman.

The truth is that Superman is both the beginning of modern superheroes, but also the great draw.
    There are a lot of comics out there, you don't have to be a Superman fan. DC comics fans have been told
    for a long time how many more copies Marvel sells, how more relatable characters they are. Great, go read them,
    just let me enjoy my little DC universe. In much the same way, you don't like Superman, you find him boring, no
    one is forcing you to like him.

As a left winger I am more than happy to say that Superman is both a conservative and a radical. He does represent
    the best qualities that we want out of America: racially inclusive, forward thinking, sensitive to the needs of immigrants,
    even the importance of climate change (it blew up Krypton after all). But Clark has his conservative side in defending
    the status quo around the world, although that is not always the case. Anyone who sat through [I]Quest for Peace [I]
    will know what I am talking about.

Clark Kent is also far from a perfect person. My own view is that he needs to grow up a little. Representations of Clark over the
    years have run the gamut. I've been suffering through the CW series right now with Clark wanting to be his sons pals rather than
    their father. Every time I watch that show, I am like Jesus, Clark, stop treating your children like they have an equal vote with you.
    Since my politics are to the left of Bernie Sanders, that makes me feeling afterwards like I need a shower.

You take all of that it shows why Superman remains a viable symbol. I would also say to my conservative friends out there who
    are upset, that they should relax. Superman is constantly being reinvented, but it is impossible for him to not be connected to the
    best part of American ideals. Even if they try and make him a more global figure, the intrinsic Americanisms of Superman is still going to be
    there. Clark is from Kansas after all, which is as American as you can get. Finally, because Clark would like me to add this: Rock Chalk Jayhawk.
    Thank you, I couldn't agree more that Superman is inexorably linked to American ideals - it doesn't need to be constantly reexamined or re-contextualized or reclaimed. Anyone who doesn't see what is meant by that is being obtuse.

Now, I see the potential for a good narrative where Clark sees where upholding the status quo fails to address certain problems, and Jon sees how his good intentions and radical approach has limits and consequences. The follow through is the problem.

Where would you rank the CW series among its peers? I haven't watched any of it since season 4 of The Flash.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Incredible Member

Thank you for the kind words. The last question made me laugh. Because while frustrated with the show, it clearly is one of the better ones.
    It is in its first season so not at all fair to compare with those shows that have a six and seven-year run. I don't think it is as good as Arrow.
    But better than Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow (which is never intended to be a serious show, so it is a little different). I think it could
    very well be better than Arrow in time, but right now it is a good CW show, although with a few problems. I would also say that it doesn't bother me
    if people have different views. It is certainly well worth your time to watch. Even my wife, who is far from a superhero TV fan, likes to watch it every week
    with me.

I get what they were trying to do with the Superman and Lois show to focus on the family. But there is an element of unreality to it, as each episode they
    try to up themselves. I was bothered by the opening sequence where they tell us Clark and Lois aren't rich, but can drop everything with no income but what
    Lois gets from a small-town newspaper. That was insulting to the daily struggles of working-class people. Some of you may not have daily calls from credit cards and banks,
    but take it from me that is not a winning strategy. I was also bothered by their trying to convince us that Lois Lane, the smartest journalist ever, was fooled by Clark taking off
    his glasses. Not for a second. There have been very poignant moments on the show. Jordan has actually started to grow on me. Jon is starting to look like he needs an intervention.
    But all of the characters in the family are good people, no one really is cringe-worthy. There have been multiple missed moments to really develop dynamics with the town of Smallville
    and its residents. They have tried, but it has been mostly playing with the latest crisis, the monster of the week. But I have written enough. My thoughts, others may see it differently.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Clark Kent: reporter is a fundamental part of the Superman character and has been underutilised or outright missing for way too long. This time has been replaced with 'Dad' these days which does nothing for me, but it's rarely been a focus for a few decades.

Being a reporter humanises him, gives him a reason to be around his incredible supporting cast, helps him fight wrong on two fronts and gives him more dimensions than just superhero guy.

Post-Crisis, Clark's reporting was reframed as his passion rather than just a way for Supes to learn he's needed and the book would often focus on him and Lois as reporters (and sometime novelist). Sure, this would often lead to something Superman needed to handle but other times it wouldn't. Either way, Clark would get the win.

I like Clark seeking out and exposing corruption, smaller scale lawbreaking (e.g. a landlord with dangerous properties) and generally fighting for the regular guy from the perspective of a regular guy (who happens to also be Superman). The smaller or more conceptual fights that Superman can't just take on with his strength.

I'd buy a book of just that side of him. Bendis kind of went in this direction and it was refreshing.

Also, I find Krypton to be the least interesting part of the Superman mythos and has been so overused in the last decade that I long to return to the post-Crisis 'no Krypton' era.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

I'd mix the reporter and sci-fi hero into one. Clark Kent: Interplanetary Correspondent for the Daily Planet!

As for Superman being inexorably linked to American ideals, that's absolutely correct, yes. I've seen people try to argue he's an universal archetype, but he's really more of an American spin on that universal archetype.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

A topic that occasionally comes up is someone writing a horror themed Superman comic. Each month when I read Swamp Thing (prob my current fave book), I can’t help but really really want Ram V to write one. Plus, this month’s issue has an appearance by Parasite. Ram V… Superman… Parasite. Dare to dream.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    A topic that occasionally comes up is someone writing a horror themed Superman comic. Each month when I read Swamp Thing (prob my current fave book), I can’t help but really really want Ram V to write one. Plus, this month’s issue has an appearance by Parasite. Ram V… Superman… Parasite. Dare to dream.
    I actually have my own pitch for a Superman horror story focusing on Parasite. I don't know why we haven't seen more on that front. Rudy's terrifying.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I don't like any other version of Brainiac besides the DCAU version. The Silver Age version looks too much like Reducto. The Bronze Age version looks too metal. The Dark Age version looks like The Leader, or a mutated Oliver Queen, and the only thing we've got going for that version is that PG-rated dominatrix outfit. The new version doesn't look all that great. And the Krypton version looks like Snoke. Don't even get me STARTED on the LEGO versions...

The DCAU Brainiac has a badass futuristic design, sexy voice, and an awesome lineup of powers that make him a villain that even Darkseid is terrified of. Only problem is, WHY did Lance Henriksen provide his voice in Brainiac Attacks? Everyone else had their original voices, but WB just hated Corey for some reason. Or maybe he was too busy with Disney then...
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Astonishing Member

The idea that a white person can't even know what it's like to be a minority but Superman knows exactly what it's like to be human is a stance that makes no sense. Superman's general lack of care about currency or the economy in general despite being an adult alone seems like a pretty big departure from the human experience since we started concepts like coinage or bartering.
    Last edited by The World; 08-23-2021 at 12:04 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I don't like any other version of Brainiac besides the DCAU version. The Silver Age version looks too much like Reducto. The Bronze Age version looks too metal. The Dark Age version looks like The Leader, or a mutated Oliver Queen, and the only thing we've got going for that version is that PG-rated dominatrix outfit. The new version doesn't look all that great. And the Krypton version looks like Snoke. Don't even get me STARTED on the LEGO versions...

The DCAU Brainiac has a badass futuristic design, sexy voice, and an awesome lineup of powers that make him a villain that even Darkseid is terrified of. Only problem is, WHY did Lance Henriksen provide his voice in Brainiac Attacks? Everyone else had their original voices, but WB just hated Corey for some reason. Or maybe he was too busy with Disney then...
    I prefer to think Corey was spared from appearing in Brainiac Attacks.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member

Now that I think about it the modern era of comics has showed us that even if you spend the time to hem and haw away as much "unrealistic" stuff from a character like Superman you'd still end up with a character thats considered less realistic than the richest man on Earth. Kind of proves its a pointless jaunt to try and make Superman "relateable" in the first place.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The idea that a white person can't even know what it's like to be a minority but Superman knows exactly what it's like to be human is a stance that makes no sense. Superman's general lack of care about currency or the economy in general despite being an adult alone seems like a pretty big departure from the human experience since we started concepts like coinage or bartering.
    Not every problem with Superman is writers trying to be realistic.

BANNED

One of the biggest problems with Superman is that his secondary characters are boring, they do not contribute anything. They are all good, serious boys / girls, not very different from Superman himself, there is no secondary character that serves as a contrast to Superman. Superman and Manchester Black = funny comic.
    Superman and his secondary characters = looking at a wall is more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    One of the biggest problems with Superman is that his secondary characters are boring, they do not contribute anything. They are all good, serious boys / girls, not very different from Superman himself, there is no secondary character that serves as a contrast to Superman. Superman and Manchester Black = funny comic.
    Superman and his secondary characters = looking at a wall is more fun.
    To whom are you referring when you say 'secondary character's for Superman? I got serious about collecting his two zillion monthly titles during the triangle years and loved the richness of the vast supporting cast at the planet and in Smallville. So I am curious about which could be the dead weight

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    To whom are you referring when you say 'secondary character's for Superman? I got serious about collecting his two zillion monthly titles during the triangle years and loved the richness of the vast supporting cast at the planet and in Smallville. So I am curious about which could be the dead weight
    He is more talking about guys that bring an opposite viewpoints to clarks than general supporting cast.I would concur that the best thing out of postcrisis is the cast.World building is not what we are talking about.Superman supergirl superboy steel they are all the same.Then there is stuff like what's her name electric lady which was boring,atleast for me.Also,even guys like steve lombard,ron troupe,maggie sawyer..etc are not really used much.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-23-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He is more talking about guys that bring an opposite viewpoints to clarks than general supporting cast.I would concur that the best thing out of postcrisis is the cast.World building is not what we are talking about.Superman supergirl superboy steel they are all the same.Then there is stuff like what's her name electric lady which was boring,atleast for me.Also,even guys like steve lombard,ron troupe,maggie sawyer..etc are not really used much.
    "electric lady"? You mean Livewire? I can't think of any book where she was boring.