Page 310 of 388 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320360 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Ah.....then I guess my real controversial one is I support full gay Clark....
    I'm honestly on board with that too for stories, it's just harder to squeeze into the that history of the character that people are so attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Remember- the villain is the hero of their own story.

And manwhohaseverything is more pointing to how the early Superman was less concerned with following the rules than with accomplishing good. His Superman would have toppled Luthor quickly, not spent years wringing his hands while Lex hid behind legal loopholes, public support and plausible deniability. It's an attitude that says if something is wrong, you stop it whether or not you have popular support. Whether that is the action of a hero or a villain is in the eye of the beholder. If I take a house someone has spent years fixing up and give it to a homeless family- am I a hero (for helping the poor) or a villain (stealing something someone else owns and put effort into)? The early Superman would have followed his conscience- the modern Kal-El would more likely let the law (or the people) decide
    This is a good analysis, well said.

I personally value the idea of Superman just trying to make the world a better place, "no job too big, no job too small," regardless of whether or not his actions are "legal". But I can see why that idea fell by the wayside a little as Superman got more and more powerful.
    Last edited by Adekis; 12-08-2021 at 10:23 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Ah.....then I guess my real controversial one is I support full gay Clark....
    Luis & Clark: the New Adventures of Superman

Hmmmm. I would give it a chance

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    There needs to be more Black Label Superman stuff.
    For me Injustice is the best Black Label Superman story

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm honestly on board with that too for stories, it's just harder to squeeze into the that history of the character that people are so attached to.
    I mean it would probably be on another Earth and I'm totally okay with that.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I personally value the idea of Superman just trying to make the world a better place, "no job too big, no job too small," regardless of whether or not his actions are "legal". But I can see why that idea fell by the wayside a little as Superman got more and more powerful.
    I would like to add any outlaw character be it zorro,robin hood or any of those guys if or when did gather public support..it was more unintentional accident than intentional.(maybe it's more deliberate than that)

A superhero work like this

Pre existing Public support->action that are deemed heroic
    Outlaws are the reverse
    Actions at an individual level->public support creation

If or When these guys gathered public support it was due to people beginning to agree with their intent or understanding it.People atleast sympathising or even empathising where these guys are coming from...Ofcourse there will always be a level of ambiguity to them and a polarising effect.

Example:

Christ imagery to boot
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-10-2021 at 12:35 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

A controversial Didio opinion:

C2E2 ’21: Garth Ennis talks his career, and the time Dan Didio asked him to take over Superman
    An audience member also asked about Hitman, which Ennis said gave him the opportunity to give his opinions on characters like Superman and Catwoman, who he didn’t actually have an interest in writing the solo stories. However, he added that former DC EiC Dan DiDio asked him to write Superman about five years ago because the “problem with everyone writing Superman is that they all revert to being five” and how they saw him when they were little. This wouldn’t have been a problem for Ennis, but he still passed.

I like Supergirl's origin story more than Superman's.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

So basically his problem was that people didn't want him to be dark or an *******.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I don't really detect much of a lie here.

I don't think DiDio is trying to say that he'd rather a "darker" Superman, but rather that he'd really love it if people didn't encase the character in the amber of their nostalgia, and maybe with that they could finally push him a bit forward, ask some compelling questions, that sort of thing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

I don't think DiDio is trying to say that he'd rather a "darker" Superman, but rather that he'd really love it if people didn't encase the character in the amber of their nostalgia, and maybe with that they could finally push him a bit forward, ask some compelling questions, that sort of thing.
    The irony of Didio having a problem with other people's nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The irony of Didio having a problem with other people's nostalgia.
    Yeah, it's pretty funny.

He's not wrong though.

And now that y'all have made me defend Didio I'm gonna go play a video game.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The irony of Dan whining about nostalgia.

The other issue is that Dan's questions were usually about how far can you push Superman into the darkness and how can we amp up the villains? He always attacked Superman with grit in a way that betrayed he never read the room for what people liked about the IP.

He wanted to grow it. That's great, but everyone was saying "I like this about Superman" and he internalized it as "I won't let the character move on from Reeve."

He was hearing what he wanted to. Every time. I don't think he ever just listened and thought "how do we execute the Reeve feel in a way that's compelling?"

It was "how do we get people past their Superman?"

He always seemed to be at war with what the audience was asking for with that character. Even New 52, which he liked and gets love here at times, he was perfectly willing to scrap Clark in 5G to build his Superman.

I just don't think he was capable of listening to demand instead of needing to be the guy who cut the Gordian knot.
    May we never forget:

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Even New 52, which he liked and gets love here at times, he was perfectly willing to scrap Clark in 5G to build his Superman.
    I'd have been down.

He'd even left a bunch of room for books *just* like Waid's newly announced World's Finest, Strange Adventures, and Bat/Cat to totally still work and be specifically for those who like their Superman a specific and more traditional way with the 2G line set in the past.

I continue to think 5G was the most reasonable yet progressive idea DiDio and DC had ever come up with. And allowing for a Superman to be built from the ground up with no preconceptions or "when I was 5" nostalgia is also a really strong idea that I still want to see made good on.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'd have been down.

He'd even left a bunch of room for books *just* like Waid's newly announced World's Finest, Strange Adventures, and Bat/Cat to totally still work and be specifically for those who like their Superman a specific and more traditional way with the 2G line set in the past.

I continue to think 5G was the most reasonable yet progressive idea DiDio and DC had ever come up with. And allowing for a Superman to be built from the ground up with no preconceptions or "when I was 5" nostalgia is also a really strong idea that I still want to see made good on.
    I'm not willing to betray Clark's character and **** on who he was made to be in order to basically do it again but this time it's mine.

All the plans I've read about 5G generally threw away the past to build a future, but i would argue having a very out-of-character and unsatisfying ending to the OG characters like right wing authoritarian Superdespot was more harm than good and destined 5G to be another thing to retcon.

You can't just light the stuff people like on fire and give them something else thinking it's going to be okay if they like the new stuff too.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-14-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    May we never forget:

I'm ready to get crapped on for what I'm about to write. I think Power Girl has a cool personality, but her whole schtick of being Kara Zor el from a different dimension, but that lives within our dimension and looks/ acts like a normal superhero, is a really difficult combination of ideas. Her being an interdimensional immigrant with her own distinct identity, but one that has nothing to do with being an interdimensional immigrant, just makes her far too convoluted on a conceptual basis. Taking away the idea that she is from another dimension could help focus in on her whole deal. Personally, I would make her Supergirl's older, loner sister.