Page 338 of 388 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348 ... LastLast
Results 5,056 to 5,070 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Here is the thing,i would say he was more pessimistic than realistic(talking about emotional reactions..not about physics and what not).for example,Realistically a guy with superman level power getting pissed and causing damage like when zod threatened ma Kent is possible.But,to what extent?we have to consider clark's nature and nurture.The movie paints picture that superman is a walking talking disaster and nothing else in second and third act.realism is showing what is.It's not about "belief" what could happen positive(optimism) or negative(pessimism).I don't really understand the concept of Good or bad..it usually goes over my head.Because I don't know the objective standard to it.

Here is another idea superman ain't human..Realistically,superman having same impulses as us is just our attempt at anthropomorphize him.We might get pissed and cause damage..But, what are the chances of an alien species that has more than enough years on the evolutionary mechanism than us.A species that has been a civilised social creature more than our existence as homo sapiens..To be this destructive.As said,Snyder painted a picture..is it realistic or his own expression of what could be real?Ofcourse,that's might be all anyone can do..
    Until such a species is encountered in real life, the human take on Superman is as valid as any other.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Until such a species is encountered in real life, the human take on Superman is as valid as any other.
    Validity is not in question...I am questioning the assertion of it being realistic.. It's not.It is an expression of the directors vision and nothing else which i find to be pessimistic..I think the human contact with the strange alien visitor from another planet can end well .it's not me being optimistic either.More than not,it might not end well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-27-2022 at 10:58 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Opps!double post..

Validity is not in question...I am questioning the assertion of it being realistic.. It's not.It is an expression of the directors vision and nothing else which i find to be pessimistic..I think the human contact with the strange alien visitor from another planet can end well.
    You're ignoring an awful lot in the movie yourself to call it pessimistic.

Also, I was specifically responding to your comment about Superman being humanized as a way to anthropomize him.

You're ignoring an awful lot in the movie yourself to call it pessimistic.

Also, I was specifically responding to your comment about Superman being humanized as a way to anthropomize him.
    It has fire and death from above.Which i found hard to take in at the pace it was being shown, that's different deal.Sure humanity might have been reslient and clark might not be actively trying to harm society..But, that's not the issue.Calling it realistic,cements that this is what is going to happen.. sure fire.I don't know the odds.I don't think snyder had it as well.

Well it does take the realism argument out is what i am saying more.Any attempt at athrompomophsizing clark leaves a big huge hole that Superman is an alien.Realistically,we don't know what he is gonna be like.If such a thing existed.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-28-2022 at 06:48 AM.

BANNED

What I don't understand is why characters like Superman have to be realistic, when they are characters that totally depend on the imagination, but human characters and therefore 100 × 100 realistic are given total freedom, when was the last time I saw To Lex or Batman you see a human, not only for their exploits, the simple fact of wanting to fight against beings that look like gods, is pure fantasy, if it were realistic they would **** themselves just by seeing Superman.

Here is another idea superman ain't human..Realistically,superman having same impulses as us is just our attempt at anthropomorphize him.We might get pissed and cause damage..But, what are the chances of an alien species that has more than enough years on the evolutionary mechanism than us.A species that has been a civilised social creature more than our existence as homo sapiens..To be this destructive.As said,Snyder painted a picture..is it realistic or his own expression of what could be real?Ofcourse,that's might be all anyone can do..
    "Realistically" there's no such thing as Superman and no scientific way he could actually do the things he does. If you're trying to completely throw out everything everyone already knows about Superman because it's not realistic enough, then why are you making a Superman story at all?

It's like saying that realistically chipmunks don't wear little colored sweaters and sing, so your Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is going to get rid of all that.

It has fire and death from above.
    As opposed to numerous other Superman stories we've been getting?

Which i found hard to take in at the pace it was being shown, that's different deal.Sure humanity might have been reslient and clark might not be actively trying to harm society..But, that's not the issue.Calling it realistic,cements that this is what is going to happen.. sure fire.
    It's realistic that this is what will happen when you encounter hostile, xenophobic aliens attempting to colonize other planets. Is your problem with it that Snyder portrayed Zod and his crew as the villains they've always been?

Well it does take the realism argument out is what i am saying more.Any attempt at athrompomophsizing clark leaves a big huge hole that Superman is an alien.Realistically,we don't know what he is gonna be like.If such a thing existed.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    "Realistically" there's no such thing as Superman and no scientific way he could actually do the things he does. If you're trying to completely throw out everything everyone already knows about Superman because it's not realistic enough, then why are you making a Superman story at all?

It's like saying that realistically chipmunks don't wear little colored sweaters and sing, so your Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is going to get rid of all that.
    Yeah, really. Superman stories are more about looking at what someone would do with that sort of power.

I'm a fan of the idea that everything around Superman should be somewhat realistic, but Superman and Kryptonian tech can do what the writers require. That said, I agree with your general sentiment. One thing that bugged me a bit was how for The Amazing Spider-man, they deviated from the Lizard's classic comic book design because, "realistically," the Lizard wouldn't be able to talk if his face was shaped like a lizard's. I mean, what an arbitrary instance to demand realism.

EDIT: Also, I think the guys behind 2002's Spider-man decided against making the spider radioactive because radioactive spider bites don't work that way, so they made it a genetically-modified spider instead. I can't wait for when years of eating GMO corn gives me super corn powers...
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 04-29-2022 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm a fan of the idea that everything around Superman should be somewhat realistic, but Superman and Kryptonian tech can do what the writers require. That said, I agree with your general sentiment. One thing that bugged me a bit was how for The Amazing Spider-man, they deviated from the Lizard's classic comic book design because, "realistically," the Lizard wouldn't be able to talk if his face was shaped like a lizard's. I mean, what an arbitrary instance to demand realism.
    I mean comicbook movies are all like this... "We have a guy that can control metal with his mind...but a super hero costume is a joke" or "we have a guy trained in everything and he has super mony...but a kid side kick is a step too far"
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Hey!Realism argument ain't mine
    As opposed to numerous other Superman stories we've been getting?

It's realistic that this is what will happen when you encounter hostile, xenophobic aliens attempting to colonize other planets. Is your problem with it that Snyder portrayed Zod and his crew as the villains they've always been?

I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Does representation matter?the fire and death is shown in the most in your face manner.yet,we don't spend time with victims and aftermath was handled poorly..So pessimistic for me.There was perry white with jenny in the rouble scene and bruce wayne "into the building falling" abyss .that's it.And that ain't enough for me.

That's if you meet xenophobic colonising alien species.But,we are not talking about zod.superman,Kal el and kryptonians.Should encounter with kryptonians be depicted as such way with a stamp of "realism"?that too without zero breathing room for any catharsis and for people to adjust.Snyder just quickly shifted focus from black zero event.

The argument was about Realism .You brought in validity..i don't really care about.. Snyder's take..His take is as valid as any other.His story..his rules.i do however disagree with.."humanised" superman="realistic" superman..
    Note-i am not into the saintly "savior" from the sky..i just think aliens can function differently than us.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-29-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Superman’s declining popularity has nothing to do with his power set. (There are many pop culture characters that are both very powerful and very popular)

It has nothing to do with how morally upright the character is either. (Again there are several characters that are like that and very popular in pop culture today)

The problem is that he is both. Writers struggle to find conflict when you have a character that appears in their mind to be both unreachably powerful and absolutely moral.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Superman’s declining popularity has nothing to do with his power set. (There are many pop culture characters that are both very powerful and very popular)

It has nothing to do with how morally upright the character is either. (Again there are several characters that are like that and very popular in pop culture today)

The problem is that he is both. Writers struggle to find conflict when you have a character that appears in their mind to be both unreachably powerful and absolutely moral.
    I think it’s more that when writers actually do, people are quick to call bad writing.

Hey!Realism argument ain't mine

Does representation matter?the fire and death is shown in the most in your face manner.yet,we don't spend time with victims and aftermath was handled poorly..So pessimistic for me.There was perry white with jenny in the rouble scene and bruce wayne "into the building falling" abyss .that's it.And that ain't enough for me.

That's if you meet xenophobic colonising alien species.But,we are not talking about zod.superman,Kal el and kryptonians.Should encounter with kryptonians be depicted as such way with a stamp of "realism"?that too without zero breathing room for any catharsis and for people to adjust.Snyder just quickly shifted focus from black zero event.

The argument was about Realism .You brought in validity..i don't really care about.. Snyder's take..His take is as valid as any other.His story..his rules.i do however disagree with.."humanised" superman="realistic" superman..
    Note-i am not into the saintly "savior" from the sky..i just think aliens can function differently than us.
    You seem to just be shifting the goalposts. Complaining about not wanting realism, then arguing against Superman acting human not msking sense all at once. It seems like your real issue is anything human being attached to Superman at all because you think that is a problem for the character.

Again, Snyder depicted the encounter with Zod that way because of the type of person Zod is. And he put considerably more focus on the victims and those trying to stay alive than most alien invasion stories, including ones from the Superman franchise.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-30-2022 at 12:03 AM.