Page 354 of 388 FirstFirst ... 254304344350351352353354355356357358364 ... LastLast
Results 5,296 to 5,310 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Susan was pretty rough.

For whatever faults Silver Age DC had, Wonder Woman was actually treated surprisingly well in the early JL stories. At the very least she's more consistently competent and treated with respect than Invisible Girl
    Sue's codename is enough of a clue by itself. She was called a girl despite being the adult sister of a teenage boy.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sue's codename is enough of a clue by itself. She was called a girl despite being the adult sister of a teenage boy.
    I can't believe it took until the 80s to fix that, and we had to get through John Byrne's weird "Malice" thing first.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Personally, I think it's stupid that the dichotomy exists in the first place. Whatever name he goes by, he's always been one person.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Personally, I think it's stupid that the dichotomy exists in the first place. Whatever name he goes by, he's always been one person.
    Nobody is ever really "one person." We all have different "modes" or "masks" we put on depending on which situation we find ourselves in, whether a professional work setting or among friends and family, or to our close romantic partners, and then there's our truest selves when we are alone with our own thoughts.

Superman, as always, takes that aspect of everyday life and heightens it to crazy otherworldly levels. Which is what makes him interesting as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I can't believe it took until the 80s to fix that, and we had to get through John Byrne's weird "Malice" thing first.
    Even the Tim Story movies acknowledged how demeaning that name was.

On top of what Siege said about us wearing different "hats" based on the situation and Clark just cranking that concept up to 11, I'll add that many of the comics themselves prove the duality in the character.

The duality is there (to various degrees, depending on the era and writer), and has been there since *at least* the Silver Age. One doesn't have to like that, or consider it the best narrative approach. But even Maggin talked about the duality of Superman. Hell, he took it to further than most. I don't fully subscribe to all the particulars of his view, but if Maggin, one of the greatest Super writers of all time, says it? It's true.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-09-2022 at 04:52 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    On top of what Siege said about us wearing different "hats" based on the situation and Clark just cranking that concept up to 11, I'll add that many of the comics themselves prove the duality in the character.

The duality is there (to various degrees, depending on the era and writer), and has been there since *at least* the Silver Age. One doesn't have to like that, or consider it the best narrative approach. But even Maggin talked about the duality of Superman. Hell, he took it to further than most. I don't fully subscribe to all the particulars of his view, but if Maggin, one of the greatest Super writers of all time, says it? It's true.
    Yep. If Maggin said it, it's law. Those are the rules.

Astonishing Member

It's been there since the beginning and was one of the core concepts. Clark gets rejected by Lois who in turn moons over Superman. Clark stepping into a phone booth and emerging as Superman. None of that works if Clark and Superman are the same person.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I wonder, does Superman dream about being human or does he dream about being Superman unbound by human problems?
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 07-10-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I wonder, does Superman dream about being human or does he dream about being Superman unbound by human problems?
    Well, there's always this moment ...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Superman tends to dream about things other than his power level except for recurring nightmares where his powers aren't enough to solve a problem. So not a lot of dreams about being just Clark (except in Smallville) or about being Superman without human problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Well, there's always this moment ...

Some real deep-cut references in there, that's awesome!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

My question is not that great, I guess I was thinking of Samaritan and how he dreams of just flying and the Black Mercy where Kal is basically a regular person. I’m sure his dreams are less self centered. I think that Sandman panel is so good.

I am curious as to how the board and how TPTB at DC see Krypton sizewise in comparison to earth. I recall reading differing accounts of the why for Supes powers which indicated that Krypton was a much denser and larger planet with a stronger gravitational pull, making Supes kind of John Carter in reverse if that is held as the origin of his powers.

I also wonder which explanation is favored by fans here.

The other thing I thought about, sadly, is that I don't think a human would be very similar or compatible to an organism from such different habitat making the Lois pairing likely barren.

This led me to further ask how DID Jon come to be?

That makes me think, I've seen an early origin for the Golden Age Superman had Kryptonians having Golden Age era super powers while they were living on Krypton.