Page 41 of 388 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
    Retired

Having thought a lot about why paper matters in a digital age, there's a great deal I could say about why newspapers matter.

And given the conversation down there in the dis-United States, it seems to me if news exists only on digital platforms you get echo chambers and fake news. For sure that can happen with print journalism, too--but there's the chance for paper to get physically shared and bypass the digital filters. Yada yada yada.

I don't understand why people want to get rid of Clark Kent. Don't some believe that Clark is the real person and Superman the mask? So by that logic, all you'd have is a mask. Or you'd have stories where all Superman does is hang around the farm all day in his long underwear cracking wise to his son until an emergency relieves the boredom and he can go off and fly into action.

I want to think that Clark, from an early age, is really interested in 1) the English language and its artful use; 2) social activism; and 3) the fifth estate. There's a lot of good stories that could be written around that. Like, how did Clark first discover his passion for journalism--was there an influential newpaper person who crossed his path when he was a boy? Did he have a school teacher that encouraged him? What books were in his personal library?

Neither identity is a mask they are both the real deal. 2 sides of a same coin. Both sides are needed for the coin to be a coin. The character should be written in such way that Clark could have his own adventures without ever having to put on the supersuit. Clark should be internationally famous but only amongst his peers. Other journalists know his work and respect his integrity and dedication but he is not widely known by the general public.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Neither identity is a mask they are both the real deal. 2 sides of a same coin. Both sides are needed for the coin to be a coin. The character should be written in such way that Clark could have his own adventures without ever having to put on the supersuit. Clark should be internationally famous but only amongst his peers. Other journalists know his work and respect his integrity and dedication but he is not widely known by the general public.
    Yeah. In short don't join ESPN :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Having thought a lot about why paper matters in a digital age, there's a great deal I could say about why newspapers matter.

And given the conversation down there in the dis-United States, it seems to me if news exists only on digital platforms you get echo chambers and fake news. For sure that can happen with print journalism, too--but there's the chance for paper to get physically shared and bypass the digital filters. Yada yada yada.
    The way I see it, there are a couple problems with the way DC has handled the Planet.

First, Superman has a reputation for being out-dated. People in general question if he's still relevant. And whether print truly is dead or not, the perception is that print is as dead as disco. So treating the Planet like print is still a big thing just aids the argument that Superman doesnt matter anymore. DC can throw out a couple lines of dialogue and tell us the Planet is more than print, but until they show us that, continually and consistently, the Planet is going to be part of the problem with Superman appearing contemporary to the wider audience.

Secondly, no one has really put much focus on the Planet in ages. Allegedly when Lobdell turned Clark into a blogger he had tons of plans but editorial told him to put that on the back burner and focus on more Superman stuff. So whether the lack of attention on Clark's job is coming from above or the writers just dont have any ideas/interest, the end result is pretty lacking. On the other hand, we've had a lot of scenes play out around the farm to positive feedback. And the farm is a little less....hands on....I guess is the word I want. A handful of panels can get across the mountain of chores a farm requires, but a equal number of panels of Clark being a reporter isnt going to translate how much work that job actually requires. So it's easier for DC to make the farm feel relevant and any scenes set at Clark's home will also help cement that. And if my options are "DC continues to handle the reporter job badly" or "DC makes Clark a farmer" I'll take the choice that doesnt damage the quality of the stories or the mythos they're built on.

I don't understand why people want to get rid of Clark Kent. Don't some believe that Clark is the real person and Superman the mask? So by that logic, all you'd have is a mask. Or you'd have stories where all Superman does is hang around the farm all day in his long underwear cracking wise to his son until an emergency relieves the boredom and he can go off and fly into action.
    Is anyone suggesting that? Because that's not what I was thinking when I brought up the subject of the Planet and Clark being (maybe) a farmer. Clark Kent is super important to the character and the franchise. His job however, might not be as critical as we have previously thought.

I want to think that Clark, from an early age, is really interested in 1) the English language and its artful use; 2) social activism; and 3) the fifth estate. There's a lot of good stories that could be written around that. Like, how did Clark first discover his passion for journalism--was there an influential newpaper person who crossed his path when he was a boy? Did he have a school teacher that encouraged him? What books were in his personal library?
    This would be great to see. But you could explore this while Clark is still working on the farm.

Actually, that might not be a bad subplot to run with for a while. Clark stays on the farm and occasionally talks about his days as a reporter, what he accomplished and how much he enjoyed it, what it meant to him to be improving lives like a "normal person." Have some flashbacks showing how he became interested in journalism as a kid and what he did at the Planet. Explore why its important to Clark and what it adds to the mythos. That'll play on fans' sense of nostalgia and get them talking about the "good old days when Clark was still a Mild Mannered Reporter" and once that sentiment has come to a boil.....Clark decides to go back to his old job. Now you've got Clark back at the Planet and you've got the fans actively happy about it and demanding to see more reporter stories. Basically, it'll just build on the concept that absence makes the heart grow fonder and when it returns the pressure will be on editorial and the creators to make it shine.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

IF the ever is an ending to the Superman story I would like to see Superman die a heroic death long after Lois ,his parents ,etc have passed. Heaven would as the Daily Planet with everyone being here greeting him. The Kents the Els, Jimmy, Perry. He would then go the top of Daily Planet with Lois being there. She would say "What took you so long" in a teasing fashion. Superman would reply You know me always late. He change into his costume and grab Lois. They would kiss and fly around together for eternity.

Retired

These things go in cycles. There are times when the super-hero aspect of comic characters is played down and they act more like civilians than other times when they're always on as super-heroes.

In the 1940s BATMAN comic strip, there could be long sequences where it's just Bruce Wayne. And then again with the 1960s BATMAN strip, it evolved to the point where it was hardly about Batman at all (post-Camp).

In the late '60s/early '70s comiics from DC and Marvel, several super-heroes were hanging up their costumes or playing down their more fantastic roles (Wonder Woman, Captain America, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Teen Titans, Batgirl).

And for awhile in the '90s, especially with Jack Knight Starman, it was thought that maybe costumes were out of date.

In some TV shows, this often happened, where it was mostly about the super-heroes in their civilian roles--and they only put on the costume for key moments, ln the last five minute of the program. And SMALLVILLE had no costume for Clark.

So it might be in vogue now, for super-heroes to lounge around in their union suits and hang out with their super-buddies in exclusive HQs away from the citizens. But, hopefully this trend won't go on forever and we'll get back to super-heroes living regular lives with ordinary folks.

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    IF the ever is an ending to the Superman story I would like to see Superman die a heroic death long after Lois ,his parents ,etc have passed. Heaven would as the Daily Planet with everyone being here greeting him. The Kents the Els, Jimmy, Perry. He would then go the top of Daily Planet with Lois being there. She would say "What took you so long" in a teasing fashion. Superman would reply You know me always late. He change into his costume and grab Lois. They would kiss and fly around together for eternity.
    That reminds me of the ending of Titanic (not saying that's a bad thing).
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Other controversial Superverse opinions/ideas:

- Krypto should have been in the rocket with baby Kal-El. Upon impact, Krypto was ejected and his collar scanned the first creature it found: a white-furred mutt (maybe ... jack russell terrier/Dalmatian mix?). Krypto, who is sapient but only can communicates in what sounds like dog barks, observes Kal taken in by the Kents, follows them to the farm, and gets himself adopted by them as well. He never stops keeping watch over Kal (and later, the Kents as well). Kal later finds he can perfectly understand Krypto's bark as if he is speaking English (think Han Solo and Chewbacca).

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

- Krypto should have been in the rocket with baby Kal-El. Upon impact, Krypto was ejected and his collar scanned the first creature it found: a white-furred mutt (maybe ... jack russell terrier/Dalmatian mix?). Krypto, who is sapient but only can communicates in what sounds like dog barks, observes Kal taken in by the Kents, follows them to the farm, and gets himself adopted by them as well. He never stops keeping watch over Kal (and later, the Kents as well). Kal later finds he can perfectly understand Krypto's bark as if he is speaking English (think Han Solo and Chewbacca).
    You know, I was never a Krypto fan. Always saw him as being a left over from an era best left where it the past. But Ive been told that opinion was wrong and I needed to change it (thanks Superlad and co.,)

But I still think he needs a little something more than just being "flying dog." and if Clark's smarter than humans why not make Krypto smarter than dogs? Yeah, why not?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You know, I was never a Krypto fan. Always saw him as being a left over from an era best left where it the past. But Ive been told that opinion was wrong and I needed to change it (thanks Superlad and co.,)

But I still think he needs a little something more than just being "flying dog." and if Clark's smarter than humans why not make Krypto smarter than dogs? Yeah, why not?
    Have you read "Starwinds Howl" yet?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

In the Silver Age he was smarter than most humans. I miss thought bubbles,

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I'm of a different opinion - Neither identity is real!

Of course he's Clark Kent! That's the name his adopted parents gave him, before he found out, in any continuity, that the was an alien.

It's just that the Clark Kent he presents to anyone but an extremely select few, is nothing at all like the Clark Kent which he presents to everyone else.

The same goes for the 'Kal-El' he presents to others as Superman - that person is nothing like the real person who has donned Kal-El as a second name.

The real Clark Joseph Kal-El Kent is the man who sits alone in the Fortress of Solitude - the real man is somewhere in-between both of his masks.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Haha! You know, this is actually a kind of funny idea - could be fun for an all-ages version of Superman.

I don't like it though... I don't like Krypto being able to communicate that well with Supeman - and hey, don't you think Krypto being in the Phantom Zone, yet still watching over Kal-El is a better idea? There is no dog more faithful than Krypto - he truly IS Superman's best friend!

*sniffles* Dog-gonnit! Now you made me all teary-eyed thinking about "The Ghost in the Fortress of Solitude" and "A Boy and His Dog" in particular! Jeesh daBronzeBomma, you ain't got no heart in that bod' of yours!

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I'm of a different opinion - Neither identity is real!

Of course he's Clark Kent! That's the name his adopted parents gave him, before he found out, in any continuity, that the was an alien.

It's just that the Clark Kent he presents to anyone but an extremely select few, is nothing at all like the Clark Kent which he presents to everyone else.

The same goes for the 'Kal-El' he presents to others as Superman - that person is nothing like the real person who has donned Kal-El as a second name.

The real Clark Joseph Kal-El Kent is the man who sits alone in the Fortress of Solitude - the real man is somewhere in-between both of his masks.

In the Silver & bronze ages, Kal always knew he was an alien. He was somewhere between 2 & 4 years old when krypton died. And with his super-memory, he always remembered his life on krypton. As well as his real name being Kal-El. In that continuity it was established that sometimes exposure to kryptonite caused gaps in his memory. Which was why Superboy used his mind-prober to recover memories that he couldn't access with his super-memory.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Retired

There was also a story where young Clark exposed himself to doses of Kryptonite in hopes of building up a tolerance. Quite a wonderful tale. It didn't work, but I have this idea that if what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, then maybe the radiation is a contributing factor in Superboy/man's developing powers. At first he's weak, but as his body recovers from the green K, his metabolism improves.

However, given that exposure to green K and what thr other story said about it taking away some of his memories--I'd imagine every time that the Boy and Man of Steel encounters Kryptonite, it messes with his mind. And that's why some memories are lost or changed.

Red K could be explained as interfering with Clark's brain chemistry--and not only does he have delusions but his psychic powers are amplified to the degree where he unknowingly manipulates reality

As for Krypto, more than Kelex or the Eradicator or Jor-El's AI, I think the dog should be what unlocks a lot of Clark's memories. Let's say that Krypto was part of Jor-El's plan--a super-animal that was supposed to nurture and care for Kal-El, but Krypto got separated from the infant and had to search him out.