Page 42 of 388 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I don't know how controversial this is but it's a viewpoint I've seen floated about numerous times in the past, the idea that Clark is a regular guy.

There's three problems with this line of thought:

1. Regular is relative.

Calling Clark a regular guy is fairly vague identification in the first place. There are simply too many constantly changing variables that go into human development from the time of birth and all throughout life. The Earth is filled with differing cultures and subcultures and those subcultures further fall into their own denominations. Too many countries and too many schools of thought to relegate character to "regular guy". A characters behavior should be at the minimum the summation of their life's experiences with a reservation for the element of chaos that creates differences in people with similar backgrounds/personalities leading to different decisions/feelings in similar situations. Calling him a regular guys is essentially hand waving the question of, "What is Superman's personality like". It only leads to people feeling he's bland.

2. The things that make him regular are mostly optional or metaphorical.

Superman is an immigrant story and most wouldn't argue that it's a concept that sits at the heart of the franchise even if they would argue exactly what kind of immigrant he should be. To a degree I've seen people in real life reference the Superman story and relate it back to their own immigrants stories, however Superman is from a fictional location and exist under nonsensical circumstances and creates a dissonance because of it. Now often when trying to support the Clark is a regular guy angle people often jump to bringing up Batman as a reference point of someone who isn't "normal" and I think often this is where the starkest differences between the characters pop up but not necessarily in the way the Superman core would hope. The circumstances the first laid the seeds of Batman are unfettered, he is a product of regular violent crime, from a regular joe, in a regular street alley way after watching a movie. You can turn on your tv, computer, ipad, whatever and probably hear about some kind of double homicide or robbery. His turn to Batman is a bi-product of hardwork and determination all things considered the corner stone of success stories.

Generally the next angle is to point to their class status as a point in the favor that Clark is a normal guy because he's works a "regular" 9-5 job and Bruce is CEO that lives in high rises and mansions. Again this is hampered by the fact that Clark has numerous advantages over %99 of the world and he could easily be a CEO if he wanted. Common thought in America is to shoot for the star and by not doing so Clark is actually deviating from the norm by comparison Bruce being an heiress isn't really that odd and has greater significance in his life because of how it ties back into his life as Batman.

Then you have the belief that Clark's more upbeat personality makes him more normal over Bruce's more dower one but seeing as happy and sad are both very real and very present on the human emotional spectrum this entire line of thought makes little sense and kind of shows how little thought goes into the Clark is a normal guy angle.

3. He has a status within the superhero genre and within DC universe that sets him apart.

He's pretty much the sole remaining proto Superhero and is often referred to as the granddaddy of Superheroes. That's something you can't escape no matter what you do.

Also the idea that DCEU Superman is a pyschopath or emotionally dead makes no sense from viewing the movies. If anything his problem is he's too sensitive and easily discouraged.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Retired

My controversial opinion about Batman vs Superman is that they're more alike than different. And this latter day effort to divide the heroes smacks of desperation, in order to create a Marvel style conflict, when they ought to be best buddies.

Batman started out as an effort by Bob Kane to exploit the success of Superman. It's probably thanks to Bill Finger that Batman isn't more like Superman. But both heroes owe a debt of gratitude to Doc Savage from the pulps.

Created in early 1939--when Superman was still edited by Vin Sullivan and Siegel and Shuster's creation was an outlaw vigilante--the Dark Knight follows the same trail blazed by the Action Ace. The origin that's later given to Bruce has him an orphan just like Clark. They're both from the same school of tough guy, short on words but glib, punch first don't ask questions later. They probably both groom their black hair with Willd Root Cream Oil. And buy their boxy suits off the same rack at Woolworth's.

When America gets into the war, both heroes become patriotic, law and order, good citizens. You just have to glance at the covers of WORLD'S FINEST COMICS, to see how much in sync they are. Like brothas from anotha Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    In the Silver Age he was smarter than most humans. I miss thought bubbles,
    I know, and I used to find it utterly ridiculous.

But Ive since uncovered the charm of Krypto and feel he's important to the mythos. And I'm down with him being highly intelligent, but I wouldnt want to see him written as "human intelligent" today.

What might be interesting is to write Krypto as being super-dog-smart. I dont think we need to see Krypto working on complex math equations or helping Clark re-build a 1929 T-Bucket Ford or discussing the pro's and con's of Kant ethical theory. But writing Krypto as being highly intelligent by dog standards, pushing the limits of a Disney-like level of self-awareness yet still retaining animalistic traits, might work quite well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

- I think the Daily Planet should be Aaron Sorkin-esque multimedia global news conglomerate. Parry still pushes to put out the physical paper, but that's mainly for his personal sentimental indulgence. He's an old dog.

- I think should be highly recognized TV news face. She had to work out a deal with Parry that lets her stay on her beat while being a TV personality. She does a lot of on the scene "coming to you live" reporting. She still writes a bunch of articles obviously. I've always though Lois should make the jump to "on the scene" TV journalism. One on one live interviews with space aliens, reporting live during an invasion from the Earth's core, and so on.

- Jimmy starts off as her cameraman, but eventually he gets his big shot, and becomes part of the DP's online streaming network. He has a little "I was___for a day" segment.

- Clark is mainly columnist. He's also seriously considering writing a book.

- Clark and Jimmy have been talking about taking a road trip, and putting together a documentary.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-02-2017 at 04:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    - Clark mainly columnist. He's also seriously considering writing a book.
    There was a Post-Crisis comic that focused on Clark writing a book.

I think it was called something like 'Into the Sun'.

It was called "Under a Yellow Sun" if i'm not wrong.

Retired

I never liked Jimmy being a photographer a la Peter Parker. He's a reporter. Probably all reporters have to be able to handle a camera, but Jimmy was the cub reporter following in the footsteps of Clark and Lois, trying to prove himself to Perry. Putting him in the photography pool is like saying he's not in the same pool as Perry (star reporter turned editor), Clark and Lois (star reporters).

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post

Yeah 'under a yellow sun' I think.

It was a fantastic idea, and I'm setting aside time to read it. But my main drive for the idea of Clark writing a book comes from Secret Identity. I always appreciated the writers who made it clear that Clark becoming a writer was because it was something he was personally interested in, and not squarely for another outlet to be a sort of Superman. I appreciate Morrison bringing some relevancy to Clark's writing, but I dislike the idea that Clark had to validate his writing based on it's utility. It's something that he loves doing; that's all validation needed, if you ask me. Making it just something that makes him happy opens up more lanes, imo. You don't have to justify every article Clark writes by how much it's intended to help the little guy.

That's why I like the book idea (this extends to the buddy road trip documentary with Jimmy). It's Clark expressing his very particular view point in an interesting way. That by itself could help dozens of people in some way. Just look at the works of Chimamanda Adichie. Her very particular view has help hundreds of people in someway. What I'm saying is Clark Kent doesn't need to be Michael Moore to be relevant. I Clark loves talking to interesting people, and he loves filtering the world through his perspective onto the page.

PS. Controversial opinion: I think Clark moves to Metropolis for Clark, and NOT for some strategic Superman related reason. It's the place Clark deiced to live and work.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

PS. Controversial opinion: I think Clark moves to Metropolis for Clark, and NOT for some strategic Superman related reason. It's the place Clark deiced to live and work.
    I agree with this. Superman can operate from anywhere in the world. Clark is the one who needs to go to Metropolis and become a journalist working for a big metropolitan newspaper.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never liked Jimmy being a photographer a la Peter Parker. He's a reporter. Probably all reporters have to be able to handle a camera, but Jimmy was the cub reporter following in the footsteps of Clark and Lois, trying to prove himself to Perry. Putting him in the photography pool is like saying he's not in the same pool as Perry (star reporter turned editor), Clark and Lois (star reporters).
    That's why I think he just starts there. That said, I do think Jimmy has an affinity for the idea of photojournalism. I think he feels like a picture or video imparts more than most eloquently spoken reporter ever could. I think Jimmy looks at in like comics/TV/movies vs pictureless books in the 21st century. Nothing wrong with the older medium, but the newer forms of imparting information can't be denied the credit for their particular evocative nature.

This leads to why I placed Jimmy in multimedia streaming. Each streaming session for Jimmy is almost it's own animal. He has to decide the most appropriate way to impart his journalistic findings.

I'd place Jimmy in the role of the future of the Daily Planet. Everyone sees his great potential, and boundless creativity. Simply Peter Parker stand-in, he is not; at least not to me.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My controversial opinion about Batman vs Superman is that they're more alike than different. And this latter day effort to divide the heroes smacks of desperation, in order to create a Marvel style conflict, when they ought to be best buddies.

Batman started out as an effort by Bob Kane to exploit the success of Superman. It's probably thanks to Bill Finger that Batman isn't more like Superman. But both heroes owe a debt of gratitude to Doc Savage from the pulps.

Created in early 1939--when Superman was still edited by Vin Sullivan and Siegel and Shuster's creation was an outlaw vigilante--the Dark Knight follows the same trail blazed by the Action Ace. The origin that's later given to Bruce has him an orphan just like Clark. They're both from the same school of tough guy, short on words but glib, punch first don't ask questions later. They probably both groom their black hair with Willd Root Cream Oil. And buy their boxy suits off the same rack at Woolworth's.

When America gets into the war, both heroes become patriotic, law and order, good citizens. You just have to glance at the covers of WORLD'S FINEST COMICS, to see how much in sync they are. Like brothas from anotha Martha.
    I agree 100%.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The idea that Superman might remain a dude who hangs out on a farm with his son all day, really makes me sad. That's the farthest thing from "Superman", for me.

Regardless of the fact that he shouldn't just be a small town father, that's just chopping the whole mythology in half.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-02-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The idea that Superman might remain a dude who hangs out on a farm with his son all day, really makes me sad. That's the farthest thing from "Superman", for me.

Regardless of the fact that he shouldn't just be a small town father, that's just chopping the whole mythology in half.
    You realise he's done more than just hang out with his son on the farm right? It's like saying all he did before getting married was work for DP and hangout with Lois and Jimmy.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I seem to remember Kurt Busiek hinting at such an idea ( i.e. his powers affecting technology)during his run early on,but it was just eventually dropped and never picked up on again.
    Can't remember if Busiek used it, but Johns kinda did. He did nothing with that idea, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think he was, for a little while in the late 90's. But after blowing up Coast City and making Mongul his lapdog, it felt like Henshaw had jumped the shark and he didn't find a worthy hook until Sinestro Corps War when he was revealed to be the suicidal and nihilistic new leader of the Manhunters.

If it were up to me I'd have left him in that role. Yellow power ring, Kryptonian powers, cybernetic augmentations, army of Manhunters at his beck and call. That's a Superman caliber villain right there, and his motivation (trying to die and being unable to) was a great hook full of potential.
    The thing is that Henshaw, along with Mongul, became GL villains, abandoning the Superman villains list. That pissed the hell off of me.
    Last edited by 666MasterOfPuppets; 01-05-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

RE: Krypto. Although in my visión of Superman he's the only Kryptonian left (aside from Zod and Faora), I'de be willing to let Krypto be around, mainly because I like dogs (médium and large sized dogs, I kinda hate small dogs ).

As for Clark, what if he's some sort of freelance reporter, not tied to Metropolis or any other place in particular? He spends a few months in a country, writes a few articles and sells them to the DP, the NYT, the Washington Post, local papers/ websites, and then leaves for another country. Just something I came up with after reading your thoughts on the matter, guys.