Page 49 of 388 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
    Retired

The wrestling angle is probably one reason (but hardly the only one) that "The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman," SUPERMAN 164 (October ’63) is my favourite single-issue Superman story. Here you have two sweaty men, bare-chested, bare-fisted brawling on an alien planet under a red sun. And they looked like real men--this could have been my Dad (black hair, curl over the forehead) and our next door neighbour (bald) on a summer day, with their shirts off, drinking a beer after having put up a fence. Except my Dad and our neighbour never came to blows and our neighbour was hirsute (no hair on his head, but plenty everywhere else).

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    which is inline with Byrne's approach of the abilities being psionic in nature.
    Perhaps the greatest addition to the mythos Byrne made. I love the idea that Clark's powers are mental; that he's bending the universe itself around him and that just gets manifested as physical prowess. Damn cool idea and it opens up the door for so many new applications.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Speaking of wrestling I think it would be cool to see Mister Mxyzptlk as some type of heel wrestling manager getting warriors and monsters from different dimensions to try to defeat Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Byrne-Supes was strong and had enhanced healing from childhood - he lifts a truck, comes away from being trampled by a bull unscathed, and heals from a broken arm in about a week. Although Clark has numerous thoughts about how he 'wasn't as strong' when he was younger, and especially until he left high school, the depictions show otherwise. In my opinion, it seems more like he had a mental block on his higher level strength and speed until he realised he could fly, which is inline with Byrne's approach of the abilities being psionic in nature.
    I remember those instances being sporadic and in his younger years with Pa basically reciting them back to Clark because he didn't remember any of it. I don't think any version of Superman would compete in sports if he knew he had a significant advantage over everyone else.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I remember those instances being sporadic and in his younger years with Pa basically reciting them back to Clark because he didn't remember any of it.
    Not sure where you got the impression that Clark didn't remember any of it - Jonathan was 'reciting them back to Clark' because he was explaining about the rocket ship he had just shown him. He says Clark got stronger and stronger.

I don't think any version of Superman would compete in sports if he knew he had a significant advantage over everyone else.
    Unfortunately, this version did - when he see him make his tenth touchdown in Man of Steel 1, he already knew he could fly (he started flying the summer before).

Furthe (not established by r, Clark came out of a car crash unscratched - Lana and Pete had injuries (we saw this as a flashback in the 90s) and, on the sports field, his only real competition was Kenny Braverman (when Kenny wasn't poorly), and when Kenny was running faster than Clark or was stronger than Clark it allowed Clark to open up a little more and be a little faster or stronger than his rival.

However, all of this can still fall inline with his abilities being mental/psionic - when(ever) he realised and understood that he was different he suppressed them in order to be 'normal'.

(The psionic element played a role during the Legends storyline, too)

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I don't think any version of Superman would compete in sports if he knew he had a significant advantage over everyone else.
    Also, Smallville-Clark competed briefly, and he definitely knew about his advantages.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Perhaps the greatest addition to the mythos Byrne made. I love the idea that Clark's powers are mental; that he's bending the universe itself around him and that just gets manifested as physical prowess. Damn cool idea and it opens up the door for so many new applications.
    Agreed,and when you think about it it opened the door for Superman to reach Pre Crisis levels under the right conditions,even if I'm sure that was not Byrne's intentions.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Speaking of wrestling I think it would be cool to see Mister Mxyzptlk as some type of heel wrestling manager getting warriors and monsters from different dimensions to try to defeat Superman.
    And next weekend at summerslam we comin' for you, N.. I mean Kryptonian.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Here's something: pre-crisis Superman had been subdued in several fights. While I think he could easily find a way around it if the world was at stake, in a straight fight I think Super Saiyan 3 Goku beats him most of the time.

Superman was better when he had to visualise the pet of a small boy and shout LYNX! to access his powers.

Retired

I wonder what would have happened if Billy Anders and his lynx had become a permanent part of the Superman story and if the Man of Steel's powers depended on this Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel Jr. formula.

BANNED

He should be 1st appearance golden age when he is powered down,and yes a mental aura should be what is amped to godlike portions when powered up.

Even though they don't show it EVER,imo Kryptonian powers are ALL 2 fold,like above,that's how kons should work,but way more obvious,cause of his unique situation,and less for Kryptonians,more fluid for them

Why oh why does DBZ inevitably find its way into Superman threads?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's a 49 page thread on opinions: every property you imagine will or could come up. But that's not to start a debate as no response is obligatory, I'm just saying that by my own judgment the extremely popular fantasy fight has a much different outcome than what's typically thought.

Byrne's best and greatest contribution was the bio-aura. It made the super suit indestructible and explained why large structures/things didn't fall apart when Superman lifted them.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"