Page 6 of 388 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Nice. Me, I tore those bags open like there was no tomorrow. Including that super rare black bag Superman #75. In retrospect, I maybe should've kept that one in the bag......

But Icon is a must-read for any Super-fan. It's amazing, and holds up a lot better than a book from the early 90's has any right to.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

I feel kind of stupid about all those comics in the special plastic bags that I bought in the '90s and never read because I didn't want to spoil the bags. But I guess I figured I'd read the stories when they were collected in a TPB. . .

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

As for the plastic bagged issues,if it's an issue I wanted to read, I just bought two copies back then. I still have a black bagged Superman #75 unopened...
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know if this is quite controversial, but...

...Far too many skilled and legendary writers waste the most plot-important aspect of the Clark Kent identity: it provides you the perfect vehicle for exposition, monologuing, and general introduction for conflict. Morrison, as much as I may disagree with some of his opinions on Superman's humanity, got that part down perfectly, while the scripts for most Superman movies, even animated ones, tend to mess that up. And this is one of the reasons I really don't like the more farcical takes on the Silver Age paradigm; they waste all their time on making the Clark identity a total comedic interlude onstead of using it. Stuff like Clark interviewing Lex or trying to exonerate a framed convict and getting targeted for it is genius, as is having Lois exposing criminal rings and major villains.

Stuff like having Lois's skills only given lipservice while her spelling is made fun of while Clark does a one-man Marx Bros routine and then interrupting it with Lex calling Superman to monologue is wasteful. And missing an oppurtunity for Clark to do some research on the "Bat-vigilante" is disappointing.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Retired

Superman should either have some super-power that allows him to interact with the social network as he's flying, or he should have some advanced tech that lets him do that. As Clark Kent, he can file his stories on the run and might never have to check in at the Daily Planet offices, except for purely personal reasons and the occasional meetings with the higher ups. Readers would recognize Clark's avatar but not the man himself if they met him in the street.

Also, bring back Sally Selwyn.

Astonishing Member

The Donner fortress looks kind of bad to me. I wish the comics would stop using it for inspiration.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Retired

I just pretend that the Donner ice lattice work is the roof. 90% of the Fortress is beneath the arctic ice. And Superman uses a giant key to get in.

Another controversial opinion: Superman should not be married and should not have a kid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The Reeve movies did more damage to the character than they did good.

Far too many writers forget that Superman has clear weaknesses and flaws.

Superman gets a far better treatment than any character that isn't Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by unholyrevenger72 View Post
    I wouldn't say the movies themselves are the problem.its the near worship of them by some fans and some creators as the definitive statement on Superman and the only "correct" way to do Superman that's the problem.if they were just taken as one incarnation among many and placed within its proper context as such ,it wouldn't be a big deal.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I just pretend that the Donner ice lattice work is the roof. 90% of the Fortress is beneath the arctic ice. And Superman uses a giant key to get in.

Another controversial opinion: Superman should not be married and should not have a kid.
    I find the Fortress on Supergirl much more interesting than the Donner one.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Beppo the flying Space Monkey makes complete sense. We have shot monkeys up in space. Damn right put one in the justice league.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

The Fleischer Cartoons are devoid of color, devoid of humor, takes itself too serious and Superman never smiles. Yet, those cartoons are still the best of the best and continue to be the Superman that defines my childhood.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 12-03-2016 at 11:20 AM.

A few more opinions to share...

1) Don't get me wrong,I live Curt Sean's artwork,but he was a big reason why some sort of change was needed in 1986. Swan should have been replaced with a more contemporary artist in the later 70s,Early 80s to give the Superman line a visual overhaul. I know they sorta did in 83 when they put Gil Kane on ACTION and overhauled Lex and Brainiac,but it was too little too late.

2) while I've been critical of Byrne's MOS,no one can deny that visually,Byrne gave the character a visual kick in the ass,but built a solid foundation and a pretty well thought out,if problematic and somewhat wrong headed base that the crew that came after utilized to a great run of stories.

3) As much as I disliked the Nuperman armor ...the concept of the suit being some sort of malleable nanotech was an inspired idea that explained how Superman could wear his suit under his Clark Kent clothes.

Superman should be the smartest humanoid in the galaxy. The ultimate humanoid specimen and physically the most powerful entity in the galaxy.

His powers should be the product of Kryptonian super science not solar symbiosis. He should be super powerful no matter where he goes yellow, red, white, blue no matter the color of the sun. It shouldn't matter if there isn't any sun.
    His only weakness should be kryptonite and at some point he should outgrow it. There shouldn't be other kryptonians with the exception of Zod, Faora and Non (imprisoned in the phantom zone). The only remnants of Krypton should be its technology, science and relics. Supergirl and Superboy should be humans whose powers were granted by Kryptonian super-science at the behest of Superman.

I think the superverse is so wide and deep that Superman could have endless adventures within it without ever having to take part in any crossover involving the Justice League or the DCU at large.

Superman shouldn't interact with Batman (not that much at least). The Batverse simply doesn't have any believable challenge for Superman. His best friend and super hero partner should be Steel aka John Henry Irons.

Ma and Pa should be alive (I changed my mind) They should play for Superboy/Girl the same role they played for Clark when he was growing up. And Clark should go back to the farm whenever the Universe start looking too big and heavy to carry. I wouldn't have Clark seeking their advice all the time. He will just go back to the farm to disconnect himself from the noise.

Clark should work at Starlabs not the daily planet. It's time for science geek Clark.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"