Page 61 of 388 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    Retired

Schaffenberger's Lois was a pretty big deal and she had short-ish hair. Of course, you could argue that the permanent wave makes her hair only appear shorter and if it was straightened then it would fall longer.

I do like the way Bob Oksner drew Lois, with longer hair; however, hair styles change with the times--and Lois would look out of place if she didn't update her look.

Basically Lois is a bombshell in my eyes. So its okay if she draws some comparisons to Wonder Woman even within the lore because she's just as physically attractive anyway. At least that's the way I've always seen her in comics.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

RE: Clark's writing.

I think Clark should be a hell of an investigator. Super-senses aside the guy is just really good at research and sniffing out injustice. But I think his actual writing is dry as hell. I think Kryptonian language is math-based and that's how Clark's mind is wired, and while he might speak a dozen earth languages, all of Clark's articles sound like scientific journals; they're educational, they're accurate and concise, they're insightful and full of interesting things and they're structurally well written....but they're boring. Clark makes a life-or-death struggle between demigods in downtown Metropolis, while a timestorm whips around them and 5th dimensional voyeurs watch and make bets on the outcome, sound like a grocery list.

The power of Clark Kent's writing isn't in his style or prose or ability to turn a phrase, it's based on his insights, wisdom, and ability to dig up truths everyone else misses.

Plus, he doesn't mesh well with the way news is handled these days. Clark's deeper than sound bites, which means he's never heard.

I think the only real exception to this is the article Clark writes that brings down Lex Luthor for good. I think that it's Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter, who ultimately defeats Lex with an expose so damning that Lex never gets to see the light of day again. That story brings Clark some much deserved acclaim, perhaps even a Pulitzer. And I think its important that Clark achieve this without needing his powers. This is the time when the little guy gets a win.

Ultimately, I think Clark should be solidly mid-level in his life. He's not exactly successful but he's comfortable. He can't afford a vacation in Bermuda but he's not struggling to pay his bills and what he owns is quality. And making him a world renowned writer totally kills the normalcy that serves as both a connection for the audience and an anchor for Superman to hold onto when his extraordinary life gets real extraordinary.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Lois Lane is The World's Greatest Journalist. She should have mastered all aspects of her craft from a young age, same as Batman did his. She should be a legend of international fame before she ever meets Clark. She had mastered print, radio, TV and web reporting. She used to work at the Daily Planet, until it got bought out and made part of Morgan Edge's Galaxy Broadcast System. She should be the network's biggest star, earning a multi-million dollar yearly salary, constantly traveling the world to all its hotspots (as in danger, not nightlife). She needs no cameraman, as she can do the job all by herself. All other journalists in the DCU, from Iris West, Vicki Vale to Jimmy Olsen and even Clark Kent look up to her.

I'm ok with the idea that Lois has lots of tattoos that she professionally covers up, some of them youthful indiscretions that she regrets, some forever meaningful that she is proud of. She rarely does exposed evening wear in public (no backless. shoulderless gowns for her).

I like the idea that Lois swears A LOT. F-bombs a plenty, except in front of a mike.

Lois Lane should be The Most Interesting Woman In The World.
    All these points you have here are all already headcanons for me honestly.

To add on:
    • Lois should have a divorce in her history, as well as an abortion.
    • She smokes & drinks casually.
    • She has a rather extensive sexual history. The majority of those "dates" she goes on throughout her long history were sexual. Women dedicated to their job as much as she is, usually don't have time for long term attachments and instead settle for passionate flings.
    • She has done a lot of questionable stuff in her past.
    • She's older than Clark. Not ten years older, but about 2-5 years older.
    • All in all, I like my Lois Lane to be a muddy character that contrasts Superman so much, it's questionable what draws them together other than fate.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 01-16-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    These are all headcanons for me honestly. To add on:
    [LIST][*]Lois should have a divorce in her history, as well as an abortion.
    I'm cool with a divorce. Married at 18, divorced by 20 type of thing. The abortion wouldn't bother me but it'd be so controversial with readers I'd only insinuate.

[*]She smokes & drinks casually.
    Scotch. Neat. Because anything else is for uncultured pu**ies.

[*]She has a rather extensive sexual history. The majority of those "dates" she goes on throughout her long history were sexual. Women dedicated to their job as much as she is, usually don't have time for long term attachments and instead settle for passionate flings.
    Sure. If she were a guy we'd assume as much and be perfectly fine with it. I also have an odd interest in the idea that Lois and Lex dated briefly in their pasts and Lex never truly moved on. Just one more reason for Clark and Lex to hate each other.

[*]She has done a lot of questionable stuff in her past.
    Hell, she does some questionable stuff now.

[*]All in all, I like my Lois Lane to be a muddy character that contrasts Superman so much, it's questionable what draws them together other than fate.
    That's she complicated and strange and contradictory and utterly, beautifully human is exactly what draws them together. She's the shades of gray that fill out Clark's blacks and whites. He's the absolutist that keeps her honest and on course.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-15-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Thanks for that piece of info. I really didn't know that. I guess it was just my perception, then. Still, I think that Clark slouching would help as part of his disguise.

What site is that, BTW?
    Oops - I meant to include it

https://www.reference.com/world-view...4f9973908981f1

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm cool with a divorce. Married at 18, divorced by 20 type of thing. The abortion wouldn't bother me but it'd be so controversial with readers I'd only insinuate.
    She can just as controversially have a kid out there who put up for adoption or left with an ex. Either works really.

Scotch. Neat. Because anything else is for uncultured pu**ies.
    Fitting with daBronzeBomma's point about her being the Most Interesting Person in the World this would be perfect.

Sure. If she were a guy we'd assume as much and be perfectly fine with it. I also have an odd interest in the idea that Lois and Lex dated briefly in their pasts and Lex never truly moved on. Just one more reason for Clark and Lex to hate each other.
    Didn't they date at one point and were pretty serious? Or am I just remembering some other media? But either way, I agree.

Hell, she does some questionable stuff now.
    Exactly, but I'd like to see writers turn that up to 11. Have her accidentally gotten people killed just to get a story or slept with who she needed to. Maybe she has a history of cheating in the past (maybe that could be why her suggested divorce happened). Some of them doesn't even have to be so bad, such as maybe she got involved using & selling drugs so that she could get close to the guy who runs the cartel and do a piece on him with enough evidence to bust him.

Overall, so far they have kind of only half heartedly pulled the trigger on things that could/should be prominent to her character. She's a cutt-throat reporter, show her as one.

That's she complicated and strange and contradictory and utterly, beautifully human is exactly what draws them together. She's the shades of gray that fill out Clark's blacks and whites. He's the absolutist that keeps her honest and on course.
    I know what makes drives them together/makes then perfect for reach other. In the same way that Clark is a perfect white knight however, Lois should be just as much gray. She has a good heart, but she's human, so those good traits often falter, and Clark is the only one who makes her good (or want to be) all the time.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 01-16-2017 at 06:23 AM.

This sounds like a massive double standard as you'll give Lois every flaw under the sun, but Clark who was raised by humans and whose people aren't perfect either, is perfect so he can be superior to her.

How is that making him superior to her? Is every character with flaws apart of some agenda to make Superman superior now?

He's Superman. Other people having flaws doesn't make them a bad person, just makes them not perfect like Superman.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 01-16-2017 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    How ismthat making him superior to her? Is every character with flaws apart of some scheme to make Superman superior now?

He's Superman. Other people having flaws doesn't make them a bad person, just makes them not perfect like Superman.
    Kinda. That's the point of not giving a character flaws.

Okay, so why not make Superman flawed then?

Retired

The movies aside, for the comic book timelines to work out, Clark and Lois have to meet when they're young--around twenty years old or younger. If Lois has a lot of drama in her life, most of it should happen after she meets Clark and her other friends like Perry, Jimmy and Lana. Olsen should join the cast of characters as just a boy, so he's only around twenty in a ten year timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kinda. That's the point of not giving a character flaws.

Okay, so why not make Superman flawed then?
    When did I say Superman can't have flaws though? I liked Nuperman, cause he actually had some - without becoming a completely different character might I add. Now, if you want Superman to have more flaws (as do I really), then those would be your controversial opinions, which is what this thread is for. Go crazy. But just because I'm giving (or more like amplifying) traits of Lois that is implied/expected of her character, doesn't mean I have some hidden agenda to make Superman superior to her. Because, surprise surprise, Lois is one of my favorite characters.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 01-16-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But aside from that, the Suplex of Doom really didn't impress me as I saw this some time after the Busiek comic where Superman survived being knocked straight through the Earth. Also, since Superman would be well aware that going into low orbit would give him the option to basically land anywhere, I find it strange that he crashed back in Metropolis.
    Wasn't that a Jeph Loeb/ Ed McGuinness issue? It was when Bizarro and Supes switched bodies, eright?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But at 7' tall Clark would have to slouch so much he would end up looking like Groucho Marx. And that would just bring more attention to him.
    Hmmm... You might be right. After all, I'm not sure how many inches shorter he'd get by slouching. I figure it'd be a couple of inches, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I think 7' tall is leaving impressive territory and getting into freakish territory. I think 6,3' or 6,6' is more than enough. He should slouch and somehow deflate his abdominal muscles to look somewhat out of shape. And change his body language.
    Well, if I had to concede the argument you all are making, I'd put him at 6' 8''. No less. After, all that's what he supposedly is in the DCEU. 6' 6'' with slouching.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    If you accept that in America, the average man's height is about 5'9", and the standard deviation is about 2.9", then at 6'3" Superman would still be in about the 97th percentile for height. 6'6" would get him above 99th percentile. As mentioned above, 7' would get him to one-in-several million, which I would say is freakishly tall. You only see a handful of those in your lifetime while walking down the street (the last one I saw just happened to be NBA player Tyson Chandler doing some shopping, maybe 12 years ago).

I think 6'3" is just about the right height: bigger than most, but not particularly humongous.
    Did some digging, and apparently that is also the average male height worldwide. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    If Clark is some freakish giant he'll never be able to blend in guys. I can see 6'2 - 6'3 and bulky enough to play off as kind of awkward and rotund as Clark Kent.

-Also I'd drop the whole Clark Kent Pulitzer winner thing, I just don't see what it brings to the character. He should be good enough to get a "good job Kent" from Perry on an article but he shouldn't be at the top of the pack nor should he be seeking it. Superman is the worlds champion leave the writing awards to Lois. Also I'd trade in the high rise for something like what he had back in the Silver age, sparse living arrangement with a land lady that makes him go to tenant meetings. Kind of like Hey Arnold! type housing.
    Agreed on the Pulitzer thing. It's not that he can't do it (actually it would be a piece of cake for him, the same with photography), but he doesn't want to. It's not just that he would not want to call unnecessary attention, but that he'd think that it just wouldn't be fair or something.

Superman being 6'3" and built like a truck even as Clark Kent is hard enough to suspend disbelief as is already. I'd quicker downgrade his height than upgrade it really.