Page 71 of 388 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    The way I see it Superman has all the ingredients needed to change the world by changing the people that lives in it. If both identities were to work in tandem there's absolutely nothing that could stop Superman from socially re-engineering our world. A man with a genius intellect, who by all standards is indestructible and with near unlimited strength yet doesn't become a tyrant and only shows up to help those in need. Plus a writer, investigative reporter who only speaks the truth and who dedicates himself to expose corruption. The sky is the only limit for what such being would be able to achieve. It won't be in the blink of an eye but in a generation or 2, I can see a world completely different from ours a world sculpted by Superman. A methodic Superman who task himself with certain specific goals. It shouldn't be simply exposing the corrupt and propitiating their downfall. It should also be about propelling the honest and propitiating their ascension. The closest I've seen to that is the effect he had in John Henry Irons life. The Super family should be filled with guys like him.
    Ya but for every person and thing you change for the better, you got a hundred more looking to undo that change, just look at rebirth. We just go around and around circles getting worse and worse with each revolution. Same ****, different day.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I always figured Clark wasn't so much immortal as he was being sustained by the sun and if he ever moved from under it for long enough he'd eventually age and die. Like how his body heals fast when powered up his cells would constantly regenerate preventing natural death.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, that is how it should be, it just doesn't make sense for him to age as long as the regenerative factor is in the picture. Ageing should not be a thing for superman when he can regenerate back from this:

Healing-fc1.jpg

and this:

Healing-fc2.jpg

Superman isn't just healing, he is regenerating and that clearly prevents superman from being at anything but peak physical condition which would prevent the ageing process from ever occurring as long as he is under a yellow sun.

I don't care how Superman's gonna look when he's eighty or two-hundred very much because in eighty or two hundred years he's still gonna be fluctuating between twenty-five and forty. The question of whether or not he's immortal is a total non-issue.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't care how Superman's gonna look when he's eighty or two-hundred very much because in eighty or two hundred years he's still gonna be fluctuating between twenty-five and forty. The question of whether or not he's immortal is a total non-issue.
    Yup and same goes for how he looks/age, all versions of the character fluctuate around the same range.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I think the solar battery version is the least suited longevity/extended lifespans given that battery cells decay
    Agreed. Like I've said before, a civilization as advanced as Krypton would have manipulated their own DNA long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Doesn't that suggest that child births back on Krypton were exceedingly rare? (And that makes Jor-el's decision to send Kal-el to Earth even more momentous?)
    That could be the case. In my head canon, if a couple wants to have a child, they'd ask permission from the Council.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I mean think about it, if he didn't age approximate to a human for at least the first 20 or thirty years of his existence, he'd be perpetually in puberty. It makes sense that his aging be tied to his body's solar stores.
    OR that his body (and therefore all of his biological systems) reached maturity after that time.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But literally no Kryptonian, while on Krypton, has been show to immortal in a version of the character's history. So how does immortality serve them on Krypton? There's numerous accounts of Kryptonian's growing old and dying on Krypton. Moreover, the majority of the time Kryptonian's having powers in a yellow sun is a surprise to most of the people that aren't Jor-El.

I stand by the idea that him being an alien doesn't give him a free pass to be immortal. It's a choice by writers, and it's almost always set aside for Clark alone. It would make more sense if the writers would just bite the bullet and say that Clark acquired immortality on one of his many adventures (if he gets it at all).
    I remember certain one-shot that dealt with Superman "having the potential to be immortal". Didn't read it, though.

I can see your point, but I'm not basing my opinion on what is canon, but rather on what I think should be canon (opinions and all that jazz). Him being an alien does not, in fact, give him a free pass to be immortal. Being an alien from one of the most (if not THE most) advanced civilizations in the DCU, on the other hand, should. IMO of course.

BANNED

His long life is a mix of his DNA being that from the most advanced ppl in the universe,who lived on a harsh planet,and modified theirselves,plus being completely regenerated over and over again by tapping into the sun.

Retired

I'd explain the powers at a much smaller level than DNA--beyond sub-atomic and possibly occupying extra-dimensional space. Let's call these sub-particles supernals. Everyone and everything on Krypton is permeated with these imperceptible supernals.

At one time in the distant past, there were human beings with great power (virtually gods) thanks to the supernals. And this was a threat to the galaxy. To stop them, a kind of virus was coded into the supernals that turned them off under red sunlight. The humans then became prisoners on Krypton, with its heavy and gravity and red sunlight--in order to protect the rest of the galaxy from their terror.

Who trapped Kryptonians on their planet? Controllers? Guardians of the Universe? Coluans? Not sure--haven't worked it out that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post

• Michael Shannon is a better Zod, even if Terrance Stamp got the best lines.
    Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???!!!!!!!!!! !! I am watching SUPERMAN II right now (thank you, Netflix Gods!) and I could not disagree more with this. I was just about to ask the boards whether you guys felt the Phantom Zone villains designs are still viable. I like their look much better than the CG costumes of the MOS movie. And Terrance Stamp's ZOD had soooooooooooooooooooooooo much swagger! Plus, he was incredibly sexy to boot! Love the beard and body hair--he was very Man. I will take Stamp's signature line (KNEEL before ZOD!) over Shannon's (I WILL FIND HIM! I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!) any day of the week! LOL!

Another controversial opinion:

LOIS & CLARK had the best version of Lex Luthor

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???!!!!!!!!!! !! I am watching SUPERMAN II right now (thank you, Netflix Gods!) and I could not disagree more with this. I was just about to ask the boards whether you guys felt the Phantom Zone villains designs are still viable. I like their look much better than the CG costumes of the MOS movie. And Terrance Stamp's ZOD had soooooooooooooooooooooooo much swagger! Plus, he was incredibly sexy to boot! Love the beard and body hair--he was very Man. I will take Stamp's signature line (KNEEL before ZOD!) over Shannon's (I WILL FIND HIM! I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!I WILL FIND HIM!) any day of the week! LOL!
    Im a fan of both.

Stamp was great; he just oozed charisma and authority, and he had a damn good catch phrase, but the character was really two dimensional. Just sorta your mustache twirling villain. And sometimes that's awesome, sometimes you need a bad guy who just wants to watch the world burn. But for Zod conceptually I think it works best when you give him some pathos and depth. I dont believe every villain has to be sympathetic but I do think that works for Zod.

Shannon didn't have the same kind of almost cult leader-ish presence that Stamp had and he certainly doesnt have a line anywhere close to "Kneel before Zod!" but his Zod had the kind of complexity I want to see. He's half-insane, his motivations are almost noble, his methods needlessly cruel on a grand scale, and of all the Kryptonians we saw in that movie, he was the most loyal to his culture and people. And 'suicide by cop' is probably the most painful thing he could have done to Clark short of making good on his promise of genocide.

Stamp was more fun, Shannon was more interesting.

And I'd say that yes, the designs are still viable. A black shirt and black pants? That's pretty universal and timeless. But I doubt Zod's shirt would be so puffy. Dude looked like a pirate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im a fan of both.

Stamp was great; he just oozed charisma and authority, and he had a damn good catch phrase, but the character was really two dimensional. Just sorta your mustache twirling villain. And sometimes that's awesome, sometimes you need a bad guy who just wants to watch the world burn. But for Zod conceptually I think it works best when you give him some pathos and depth. I dont believe every villain has to be sympathetic but I do think that works for Zod.

Shannon didn't have the same kind of almost cult leader-ish presence that Stamp had and he certainly doesnt have a line anywhere close to "Kneel before Zod!" but his Zod had the kind of complexity I want to see. He's half-insane, his motivations are almost noble, his methods needlessly cruel on a grand scale, and of all the Kryptonians we saw in that movie, he was the most loyal to his culture and people. And 'suicide by cop' is probably the most painful thing he could have done to Clark short of making good on his promise of genocide.

Stamp was more fun, Shannon was more interesting.

And I'd say that yes, the designs are still viable. A black shirt and black pants? That's pretty universal and timeless. But I doubt Zod's shirt would be so puffy. Dude looked like a pirate.
    Couldn't agree more.

Stamp's Zod was iconic. Shannon's was a totally different, yet viable take.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Agreed. Like I've said before, a civilization as advanced as Krypton would have manipulated their own DNA long ago.
    That would have been true if we didn't know that superman was getting stronger the longer he was under the sun, therefore his solar "batteries" could not have been decaying or he would've started getting weaker before he was even born, his solar "batteries" clearly get BETTER with time, you guys are completely ignoring his regenerative factor and it's capabilities, like someone else on this thread said, supes isn't immortal, he is simply being sustained by the yellow sun.
    Though I do agree that a civilization as advanced as krypton should be able to manipulate their DNA, I mean they were one of if not the most scientifically advanced species in the universe, DNA manipulation should've been quite simple for them, but I don't know how I would feel about a truly immortal Superman, I think that if he were ever to be immortal it should only be by virtue of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    I know (and agree) that the preference is to lessen the impact/interaction of the Batverse with the Superverse, but I think using Bruce instead of Lex would be better.

Perry (to my mind) wouldn't trust Lex but he would trust Clark's recommendation of using Bruce (or someone similar). There could still be drama later - corporate shenanigans during one of Bruce's 'missing' periods or attempts at re-structuring without Lucius/Bruce's approval etc - which could impact Clark's relationship with Perry and the others, in the short term.

Or, instead of Bruce or Lex, there could be some other financier - perhaps someone who has developed a viable app for news dissemination - and we could have... hmm, anyone seen StartUp?
    I think utilizing one of the many other wealthy people in the DCU might be better if we want to avoid Lex drama. The last thing I want to see is Batman bailing out the Super Fam. If not Lex then why not Prince Bryon (Geoforce), Technocrat, Karen Starr (Power Girl)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Ya but for every person and thing you change for the better, you got a hundred more looking to undo that change
    It looks like a job for Superman
    Last edited by Francisco; 01-24-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"