Page 75 of 388 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    While I see the benefits of this sort of niche assignment, I don't entirely endorse this idea, either. Of course, I don't entirely endorse the Justice League concept, either, so take my next comments with a grain or a billion of salt. Namely, if everyone has a specialty, it often means that only so-and-so can take care of fill-in-the-blank issue. I thought the specialty assignments, and its undesirable issues, were made apparent in animation quite often. If Batman was around, only he could contribute to the strategy, or else you risk making him look worthless. If there was magic, only Hawkgirl and her freakin' mace could play into the solution, otherwise she's just a weaker person who flies and hits stuff hard. And looking at the more recent films, the main JL team has a zero percent chance unless the newly-introduced character(s) step up and save the day with their unique skills. Etc.

Maybe the problem is less the idea and more the way the ideas are executed, but so far I can't say I like how the specialty assignments are done in practice.
    I am with you on this. It's a similar problem as the shared universe concept. The true original ubers get dramatically reduced so that one power folks like Flash are not pointless. It is very annoying

The next batch of "Superman goes insane and evil" imaginary stories that DC just can't help but put out to the general populace will now revolve around him losing it over his son dying.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I am with you on this. It's a similar problem as the shared universe concept. The true original ubers get dramatically reduced so that one power folks like Flash are not pointless. It is very annoying
    I keep hearing this yet Superman still gets written as the top dog in terms of power with the world being doomed any time he dies or goes bad

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The next batch of "Superman goes insane and evil" imaginary stories that DC just can't help but put out to the general populace will now revolve around him losing it over his son dying.
    He'll losing it over his son just being in danger. He's too much overprotective.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-30-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    While I see the benefits of this sort of niche assignment, I don't entirely endorse this idea, either. Of course, I don't entirely endorse the Justice League concept, either, so take my next comments with a grain or a billion of salt. Namely, if everyone has a specialty, it often means that only so-and-so can take care of fill-in-the-blank issue. I thought the specialty assignments, and its undesirable issues, were made apparent in animation quite often. If Batman was around, only he could contribute to the strategy, or else you risk making him look worthless. If there was magic, only Hawkgirl and her freakin' mace could play into the solution, otherwise she's just a weaker person who flies and hits stuff hard. And looking at the more recent films, the main JL team has a zero percent chance unless the newly-introduced character(s) step up and save the day with their unique skills. Etc.

Maybe the problem is less the idea and more the way the ideas are executed, but so far I can't say I like how the specialty assignments are done in practice.
    I actually agree with you; the execution of the concept hasn't always been that great. But I think that's because when writers try to use that kind of narrative construct, they forget that these characters do have skills that go beyond their "domain."

Flash might be the "great explorer" but he's also still an intelligent crime scene investigator and one of Central City's best forensic scientists. He might be the guy you want to call when a time travel story comes along because that's his "domain" but that doesnt mean he also can't solve a murder mystery. Diana might be the "myth and monsters" person but she's still trained in the arts of diplomacy by an ancient offshoot of the culture that brought us the concept of polis, and her war training means she should be involved in combat strategy too; not just sharing the background and/or weakness of a big mythological monster.

I dont want to sound like one of "those" Super-fans, but I think the character who throws a real wrench into things is Batman. He's got a skillset no one else in the League does and he absolutely does have a role with the team. However, writers tend to go overboard trying to make him relevant. They look at his lack of superpowers and decide to totally overcompensate. Or they lack the imagination or motivation to craft a story where his skills can be put to proper use.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    He'll losing it over his son just being in danger. He's too much overprotective.

Oh god, what a time to be a Superman fan...

To be fair I'm pretty sure the League is under the influence of something here screwing with their minds. An overused trope for Superman as it is, but nonetheless that's not really "him" there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Oh god, what a time to be a Superman fan...
    Wasn't that just from that stupid AXIS ripoff story in Justice League? I don't think he was supposed to be in character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To be fair I'm pretty sure the League is under the influence of something here screwing with their minds. An overused trope for Superman as it is, but nonetheless that's not really "him" there.
    Yeah, everyone in the League is being influenced by....something. I forget what it was. As bad as Superman was here, Barry was much, much worse. Dude wasn't that far off from becoming a date rapist.

Upon reflection, that statement requires some explaining. Barry and Jessica Cruz are on a date when the....whatever it was....happens to the League. And Barry's speed starts to get the best of him. He complains about the slow service at the restaurant and things start getting worse from there as Barry's speed starts to impact his senses; he gets more and more impatient, "living in the moment" so to speak, and tries to hit a home run with Jessica before she's ready to even step up to bat. Considering its Jessica Cruz and she's barely capable of stepping out of her front door, it rattles her pretty badly. But Barry, as I recall, took the rejection like a man, didnt press it, and maybe even started to realize he was acting off, when Jessica flew away. So, assuming Im remembering it right, its not as bad as my previous statement might make it sound....but it was still pretty uncomfortable and twisted.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    The thing is with batteries is that they need to recharge or they become dormant. Remove him from his element if you want to defeat him. Not sure why no one boom tubed him into the heart of a red star...

If supermans powers were written correctly (IMO duh) if you drop him on a red star planet he would still be powered like golden age,so he would.still have a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I keep hearing this yet Superman still gets written as the top dog in terms of power with the world being doomed any time he dies or goes bad

Writers want it both ways and you know this.They will "punk" superman for any character they want to shine,then the instant they want superman to be "the savior" he is the only one who can save the day or wrestle a angel

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    If supermans powers were written correctly (IMO duh) if you drop him on a red star planet he would still be powered like golden age,so he would.still have a fighting chance.

Writers want it both ways and you know this.They will "punk" superman for any character they want to shine,then the instant they want superman to be "the savior" he is the only one who can save the day or wrestle a angel
    This could be described as any character at any given time and I'd say Winder Woman, Captain Atom, Shazam and the Martian bigger victims of this than Superman usually without the saving the day part.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    The thing is with batteries is that they need to recharge or they become dormant. Remove him from his element if you want to defeat him. Not sure why no one boom tubed him into the heart of a red star...
    Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    That's not what krazijoe asked

We've seen him fight under a red sun on many occasions - including recently over in Justice League Action.

The heart of a red sun itself, though, has been a rare occurrence - the main example is Infinite Crisis where he, along with two alternate versions, flew through Rao.

Boom tubes (and teleporting in general) are affected by gravity and pressure - Metron had some issues in getting Superman into the heart of Sol, for example - so it's likely that that tech just isn't able to sustain the portal long enough for shove Superman through, or, for other teleportation means, the equations just get thrown off and the device(s) won't work.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

...And that's why I think that his powers are in serious need of some retooling.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Wasn't that just from that stupid AXIS ripoff story in Justice League? I don't think he was supposed to be in character.
    How can that possibly be construed as an AXIS rip-off specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    How can that possibly be construed as an AXIS rip-off specifically?
    ok that was probably a leap on my part, especially when I jumped off Justice League when Johns left, so I don't really know about the story besides what other people posted online. But they both had the whole "villain screws up the heroes personalities" like with Axis.