Page 92 of 388 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 5810

Some chores (such as milking Bessie) can't be done in the blink of an eye.

Something Clark learns very early on, in my opinion.

After some of the rumors that are popping up (see the links below), I'm starting to think that Superman entering the public domain in 2033 might be better creatively for the character and stop Warner Brothers holding the traditional version hostage. It might give other studios, with a less cynical outlook, an opportunity at restoring the classic version on the big screen.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/s...-red-son-movie

http://www.cbr.com/justice-league-tr...R-TW&view=list),
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 06-27-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Can't comment on the Red Son rumors. If they do it, however, by definition it can't be part of the DCEU.

The trailer? Yeah, I'm pretty sure those rumors come from 4chan. Need I say more?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Retired

Superman will never enter the public domain in my lifetime.

Even if he ever did, the restrictions that would be there with regards to licensing, design, products etc would be so limiting on what could be done that it might not be worth pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The trailer? Yeah, I'm pretty sure those rumors come from 4chan. Need I say more?
    Granted, the Justice League Trailer rumors about brainwashed Supes might be fake. Even still, it appears that right after mulleted, black suited 90s superman (which we're going to see anyway), it's straight onto Evil, Dictator Superman. At this point, it might be wiser of us all to just give up on ever seeing the normal version on screen. Breaks my heart thinking about it, but, what can you do?
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 06-27-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Even if he ever did, the restrictions that would be there with regards to licensing, design, products etc would be so limiting on what could be done that it might not be worth pursuing.
    Yeah because it would just be the Siegel and Shuster Superman as he was seen in ACTION #1 right? That doesn't extend beyond to things like Metropolis, the Daily Planet, Luthor etc. Much of what had accumulated in terms of the mythos beyond that first issue is owned lock stock and barrel by Warner's. We may not like it but it's a fact.

As for the rest, even if we do see an evil Supes in the trailer, I'd wager it's a red herring. I don't see Geoff Johns defining great Superman moments as all evil and stuff. That may not even be Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yeah because it would just be the Siegel and Shuster Superman as he was seen in ACTION #1 right? That doesn't extend beyond to things like Metropolis, the Daily Planet, Luthor etc. Much of what had accumulated in terms of the mythos beyond that first issue is owned lock stock and barrel by Warner's. We may not like it but it's a fact.
    Yup, the hurdles and paperwork etc that anyone doing their own version of Superman would have to go through wouldn't be worth it, and coupled with losing all the characters and mythology, any attempts to put forward alternate versions of Krypto, Zod, Kandor and Kryptonite would just get dumped with infringement claims.

Even if waivers were given, they would most likely be dependent on WB's lawyers reviewing each page before signing off.

If Ray Kroc thought he had it tough with the McDonalds brothers...

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
    Granted, the Justice League Trailer rumors about brainwashed Supes might be fake. Even still, it appears that right after mulleted, black suited 90s superman (which we're going to see anyway), it's straight onto Evil, Dictator Superman. At this point, it might be wiser of us all to just give up on ever seeing the normal version on screen. Breaks my heart thinking about it, but, what can you do?
    What you can do is stop and think about if for five minutes.

1.) Even before all the negativity started hitting about BvS, Snyder already mentioned that JL was going to be lighter than BvS.

2.) WB/DC announced, shortly after the negativity started hitting BvS, that the DCEU was moving in a lighter direction. "Evil Dictator Superman" is NOT moving in a lighter direction even if it's temporary. So unless WB is flat-out lying to us, we can assume that's not going to happen. And if they ARE lying to us, then they'd better be ready for the biggest backlash in history because people have already made it clear they didn't like these darker movies. Promising them a change and then not delivering is NOT how you keep customers.

3.) Geoff Johns recently tweeted that we may soon have to update a list of Greatest DCEU Superman Moments after JL comes out. Nobody is going to consider Superman rising from the grave after nobly sacrificing himself to save the world, only to start goose-stepping around and terrorizing people with his heat vision a "Great Superman Moment." Again? If that ends up being what happens, then the fans will brand Geoff Johns a liar and no one will touch anything from the DCEU ever again.

4.) If WB wasn't committed to going in a lighter direction before, the success of Wonder Woman has no doubt shown them the wisdom of committing to it now.

Superman will be back in JL, he will do at least one thing that will be worthy of a Greatest Superman Moments list. and then he and the rest of the League will go on to do great things in a brighter, more optimistic DCEU. Anything less than that will basically be WB committing business suicide. IF he comes back mind controlled, brainwashed, replaced by an evil clone, etc. it will be a very brief, temporary thing right before he somehow breaks free and goes on to do what Superman does best.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

After some of the rumors that are popping up (see the links below), I'm starting to think that Superman entering the public domain in 2033 might be better creatively for the character and stop Warner Brothers holding the traditional version hostage. It might give other studios, with a less cynical outlook, an opportunity at restoring the classic version on the big screen.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/s...-red-son-movie

http://www.cbr.com/justice-league-tr...R-TW&view=list),
    Disney will make sure that those copyrights keep going. Forget Superman. If all copyright laws stay as is, a certain Mouse will enter the Public Domain. And Disney won't let that happen without a fight

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Disney will make sure that those copyrights keep going. Forget Superman. If all copyright laws stay as is, a certain Mouse will enter the Public Domain. And Disney won't let that happen without a fight
    Corporate IP owners should be careful just how hard they push this stuff. Last thing they want to do is though their actions turn piracy into a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Some chores (such as milking Bessie) can't be done in the blink of an eye.

Something Clark learns very early on, in my opinion.
    I think Man of Steel did a decent job of at least explaining that there were difficult aspects to adjusting to powers on Earth's environment. Unfortunately, they kind of limited the adjustment phases to his senses such as sight and hearing, and much less so on motor control. I'm sure Smallville tried to get into that topic, but I simply couldn't get into Smallville.

But yeah, I would like to see more stories, especially in live action, focus on things like applying delicate touch when necessary, when and where (and when and where not) to use super speed, how a 6'3" and 225 lb. man can't feasibly hold up a gigantic structure no matter how strong he is, etc. This is the best way, IMO, to introduce challenges and realism into a Superman story without having to tinker with Superman himself, particularly through unwanted dumbing down of powers.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Hrmm. Even if another company can't use anything outside of Action Comics #1, I'd still rather see more of this guy onscreen:

http://superkalel.com/wp-content/plu...Superman03.jpg

http://michaelmay.us/13blog/06/0618-supermanlois.jpg (Also notice how the Flash's message of "Fear him!" is a total 180 from the message in this pic.)

than this guy:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmxT8riW8AECSax.jpg
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 06-27-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Even if another company can't use anything outside of Action Comics #1......
    It could still be Super-Awesome.

EDIT: Apologies; I forget how tone doesn't carry across text. I'm not being snarky, I'm agreeing with you as to how much awesome an AC#1 Supes could be.
    Last edited by _Feely_; 06-27-2017 at 12:11 PM.

I'm still 100% positive that Superman will return at least briefly with amnesia/brainwashed. Flash bringing Lois to the battlefield will restore his memories. But I have an incredibly hard time believing they'd give him a mullet. MAYBE he's in a black suit for equally as brief a time as he's amnesiac, but that's it. He'll still have short hair and be clean shaven.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El