Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    It's funny, I actually feel the complete opposite: I absolutely loathe Gambit, LOL.
    You loathe Gambit... But like Fantomex. Riiiiight. So we're just ignoring how much they Xeroxed of Gambit and graphed onto him, right? The concept of Fantomex started out interesting, but the more they "revealed" of him, the more I was like "WTH? Does no one else notice that he's basically Gambit in a mask?" If he was from DC, I'd be down but...To each their own.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    You loathe Gambit... But like Fantomex. Riiiiight. So we're just ignoring how much they Xeroxed of Gambit and graphed onto him, right? The concept of Fantomex started out interesting, but the more they "revealed" of him, the more I was like "WTH? Does no one else notice that he's basically Gambit in a mask?" If he was from DC, I'd be down but...To each their own.
    I couldn't disagree more, and see a very clear distinction between the two characters, but...yeah, to each his own.

I couldn't disagree more, and see a very clear distinction between the two characters, but...yeah, to each his own.
    Dude... They are so much alike I hope that one day they end up in a book together and become best friends after nonsensically fueding ala Step Brothers. It's like they started with Gambit as a template, added the most random aspects to him from other characters (namely Storm Shadow and Deadpool), and called him Fantomex.

Thinly built, agile, French speaking, ladies man, super theif that happens to wear a trenchcoat and runs around with X-Men and has subtle mental abilities behind another powerset. Which one am I talking about, right now...? Yeah, nothing alike.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Thinly built, agile, French speaking, ladies man, super theif that happens to wear a trenchcoat and runs around with X-Men and has subtle mental abilities behind another powerset. Which one am I talking about, right now...? Yeah, nothing alike.
    I didn't say they were nothing alike. I said that I see a very clear distinction between the two. And yes, that's even WITH all of the similarities you've noted. Now, can we just agree to disagree, or are you planning to continue browbeating me for having the nerve to like Fantomex? :P

I'll never for the life of me understand the intense hatred people have for Fantomex. But, to each his own.
    Because he's a budget Gambit borderline Mary Sue at times that gets shoved in readers faces constantly despite the fact he's unpopular and better options usually exist for his slot. He's just a boring character.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    Because he's a budget Gambit borderline Mary Sue at times that gets shoved in readers faces constantly despite the fact he's unpopular and better options usually exist for his slot. He's just a boring character.
    I think he's a mostly misunderstood character. Morrison was poking fun at characters like Gambit when he made Fantomex. That doesn't always come through with a lot of writers.

Bottom line for this thread is that for a book about Weapon X, Fantomex is much more likely to appear than Gambit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    I would sell my left kidney on the black market if people would stop using this term incorrectly. I'm so serious.

I didn't say they were nothing alike. I said that I see a very clear distinction between the two. And yes, that's even WITH all of the similarities you've noted. Now, can we just agree to disagree, or are you planning to continue browbeating me for having the nerve to like Fantomex? :P
    Uhmm... didn't say anything about you? I was hoping for a conversation, but nevermind.
    Guild Member

BANNED

Uhmm... didn't say anything about you? I was hoping for a conversation, but nevermind.
    Oh. Well, it seemed like you were taking issue with the fact that I like Fantomex. If I was mistaken, I genuinely apologize. I'm not usually awake this early, LOL.

Oh. Well, it seemed like you were taking issue with the fact that I like Fantomex. If I was mistaken, I genuinely apologize. I'm not usually awake this early, LOL.
    We're cool. Just don't call the cops on me
    Guild Member

Don't have too many expectations beyond Laura being ostensibly the main character. Maverick would be nice.

BANNED

We're cool. Just don't call the cops on me

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Don't have too many expectations beyond Laura being ostensibly the main character. Maverick would be nice.
    Is Maverick still alive? (Lol I still have the 1st issue of his solo... Back when he was cool looking).
    Guild Member

To be honest, the mere fact it's a WeaponX book and not a new X-force doesn't fill me with hope.
    That said, I really hope it's not a sausage fest with Laura as the token female. I also hope Sauron isn't a member.

Best case scenario, the team would be something like this:
    All-New Wolverine
    Daken
    Sabretooth
    Marrow
    Mystique
    + 1 more

I'd love to see Psylocke, M and Magik somewhere, but they wouldn't really make sense in a Weapon X book (another reason X-force would be better). God, I really hope Marvel editors aren't dumb enough to send them to limbo after all the push they got.