Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Thank you! Storm should not be brought up here. They know that I am a Storm fan, so when I raise my concerns about yet another Phoenix Force story with points they cannot refute, they try and rabbit away and bring up Storm. Its a weird and weak strategy. Lets stick to Jean Grey.

One more point I want to make: The Phoenix Force started out as something Jean can wield. Later, it was expanded to her daughter, Rachel, who was in her bloodline with the same powerset of TP/TK. It made sense that Rachel would also be a suitable genetic fit to host it for those reasons. I have said all of this earlier. However, I maintain that the reason the PF thing got so convoluted is because writers could not let it go and come up with fresh ideas. Therefore, in Excalibur, we learn that there have been MANY hosts to the PF. This is further established during Morrison's run. Finally, AvX does away completely with any notion that only some people can host the PF. So, what started out as a "Jean" thing and then a "Jean/Rachel" thing on the account of Rachel being Jean's daughter and sharing her genes was totally wiped away because writers had to keep coming up with Phoenix stories to tell and theconfines that were there originally were too restricting. It just proves my point, yet again, that the whole Phoenix Force thing is tired. They ran out of Jean/Phoenix and Rachel/Phoenix stories, so they just said, "We'll have it so anybody can wield the PF," and they rode that horse into the ground...and are still trying to ride a dead horse...
    I don't think any of those examples negate that the Phoenix is a part of Jean. I like to akin it to the idea of a soulmate. We know from Claremont that part of Jean's power is rebirth. For all we know that part of her could very well be Phoenix. Aside from Rachel though the Phoenix has inhabited many, non of those have been successful and that could be most arguably attributed as you stated Jean Grey's genetics. What we do know is that though out all of it's appearances the Phoenix has preferred jean over them all, including Rachel as she has stated on several occasions and even called out to her mother when she lost her phoenix abilities during Rise of the Shiar. So to me Phoenix is a part of Jean's soul and is ok travelling around in the bodies of compatible or semi-compatable bodies and enjoy life while burning them out until it's one true body, Jean's appear. JMO though.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The deeper connection is not moot, it is the point, especially since the most important question with whether a Jean solo should involve the PF is how does the common reader associate Jean and the PF, not how do you specifically see them, or apparently wish them.

All of your talk is based on what some writer wrote somewhere (or, at least, your interpretation as your memory serves you). You cannot then dismiss the work of a writer as hyperbolic. Well, you can, as I am more than willing to dismiss writers in this very discussion, but then you have to accept that you are picking and choosing which writer's works you think fit your view of the PF and Jean.
    Look, here is the thing, okay? Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force are two separate entities. That cannot be refuted. To do so is merely wishful thinking on the part of some of the Jean fanbase. Any reasonable conversation about them being the same only makes sense if the force, a sentient cosmic entity separate from Jean Grey, decides to possess her/merge with her.

That said, this whole Phoenix Force/Jean Grey thing has been done to death. I'd say its time to move onto new material, but Jean seems to be tapped out of fresh stories to tell in all honesty. She been married, she's been embroiled in love triangles, she has several kids from the future and alternate time lines that crossed over into her time, there have been evil clones of her and her children, we have seen her power from when she was just a weakling in the 60s all the way to her being possessed by the Phoenix Force. She died, came back to life, and then died again. She's time traveled herself...etc. I mean, really, what else is there to say about the character? Unlike people like Storm, Wolverine, Gambit, Magneto and Bishop, Jean's character doesn't really have anything to build a solo on outside of the confines of the team book. The five characters I mentioned each have interesting backgrounds to be explored completely divorced from anything to do with being an X-Man.
    Last edited by rutog98; 12-02-2016 at 11:44 AM.

I'm ok with the Phoenix not being a part of Jean or anything like that, she really isn't, more like Jean(well, the older dead one) is a part of her. Even with other hosts, Jean will always be the one. She's the one the Phoenix really sees as her, the only one to be the White Phoenix of the Crown(Hope just wore a White Phoenix costume, but we know Phoenix outfits can variate, like P5 or Scott on Secret Wars).

I think the Phoenix still feels like Jean a bit, because of the first time they merged(Claremont's run), that it was more Phoenix being Jean than Jean being Phoenix. She even seems to have a thing for Scott too. When the Phoenix says she and Jean are the same, that's what she means, not literally.

Extraordinary Member

That said, this whole Phoenix Force/Jean Grey thing has been done to death. I'd say its time to move onto new material, but Jean seems to be tapped out of fresh stories to tell in all honesty.
    You won't get any argument from me about that. I'm on the record as being very pessimistic after the writer could only bother to describe this as Jean doing stuff because there is a Phoenix Force out there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't think any of those examples negate that the Phoenix is a part of Jean. I like to akin it to the idea of a soulmate. We know from Claremont that part of Jean's power is rebirth. For all we know that part of her could very well be Phoenix. Aside from Rachel though the Phoenix has inhabited many, non of those have been successful and that could be most arguably attributed as you stated Jean Grey's genetics. What we do know is that though out all of it's appearances the Phoenix has preferred jean over them all, including Rachel as she has stated on several occasions and even called out to her mother when she lost her phoenix abilities during Rise of the Shiar. So to me Phoenix is a part of Jean's soul and is ok travelling around in the bodies of compatible or semi-compatable bodies and enjoy life while burning them out until it's one true body, Jean's appear. JMO though.
    Even if one can argue that the PF favors Jean over the other hosts, even if they are soulmates, they are still two separate entities. That's the point I'm making. Also, if they had just left the Phoenix Force as a Jean and Rachel thing, it would not be AS tired an idea as it is today. However, they wore out the PF so bad with always trying to relive and revive the old glory days of the Dark Phoenix Saga that it has become so convoluted and perverted from its interesting early history that its just a huge eye roll for many people nowadays. It has been overused to death and then still overused even then some. At Marvel, its just a roll of the dice for who's turn it is to be the PF avatar for the next Phoenix Force story. On top of that, we already have Jean/Phoenix stories...
    Last edited by rutog98; 12-07-2016 at 01:40 PM.

It doesn't sound like it will have much appeal to many people outside of die hard Jean and Phoenix Force fans. I just don't want this Phoenix Force stuff to bleed into the other titles as I am tired of it. My concern is that it will. They just can't seem to come up with new material.
    Funny because most of the "Phoenix Force" stuff that you are complaining about happened while Jean was dead and isn't in anyway related to her. By your own arguments, Marvel doesn't need Jean to do Phoenix Force's stories. In fact, the problem with the Phoenix began when Marvel started to (ab)use it without Jean.

Anyway, you shouldn't worry: Even if it bleed into other titles, it won't be Storm's problem, it will be Kitty's one.

(and as people told you over and over, the story isn't going be about the Phoenix Force anyway. It will be about Jean with the PF as a background element to drive the plot)

It doesn't sound like it will have much appeal to many people outside of die hard Jean and Phoenix Force fans. I just don't want this Phoenix Force stuff to bleed into the other titles as I am tired of it. My concern is that it will. They just can't seem to come up with new material.
    Well, that's the point of a solo, isnt it ?.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

xxxxx-cited

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    xxxxx-cited
    Cute ,=))))
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?