View Poll Results: Are you interested in the young Jean's solo?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!!!!!!! I love it

35 24.65%
  • I will give it a chance

37 26.06%
  • I'm not interested in this book at all

70 49.30%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    That's false! It still does many of what we read and see now are based by him. He laid that foundation, still holds the most sales in comic books.
    It's like film buff complaining that John Ford was the pinnacle of film making, and then crapping all over modern cinema because no one does it the same way. Whatever influences he had on the genre, he had it because of WHEN he did it, and as part of an industry that doesn't approach the process the same way anymore.

Literature, film, music, video games. ALL industries with their share of icons, all of them dependent on their particular moments in time. Sierra's work in adventure gaming is legendary, but today it's the realm of Indie studios and fan productions, with AAA game makers not wanting to touch the genre. Charlie Parker was a compositional GOD (to say nothing of being patron saint of the saxophone), but musical tastes have changed and today he'd be relegated to a much smaller niche audience.

It's one thing to recognize the impact he had, but something else ENTIRELY to dwell on it and crap on everything that's not it.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 12-01-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Yes. Was gonna skip it but, Hopeless. At least one of the O5 will still be having some fun without Magneto leering over their shoulder and moaning about Nazis.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

.....can't the 05 just go away?

I mean I will try it but I am not enthused.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Yes. Was gonna skip it but, Hopeless. At least one of the O5 will still be having some fun without Magneto leering over their shoulder and moaning about Nazis.
    What an offensive shitpost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's like film buff complaining that John Ford was the pinnacle of film making, and then crapping all over modern cinema because no one does it the same way. Whatever influences he had on the genre, he had it because of WHEN he did it, and as part of an industry that doesn't approach the process the same way anymore.
    I would still alfred hitchcock has much to teach any director even in modern times but I digress. Thats getting way off topic. lol

BANNED

It's not the WHEN if it's still being used now so your argument/analogy doesn't work

I can understand if we were seeing different references new themes ideas that make that WHEN be just that a relic that is irrelevant but that's not what's being brought to us. Same product, different wrapping paper.

Lol. Yes Claremont may be the most important X-Men writer or something like that. That doesn't mean the X-Men shouldn't had continued without him or anything, cause that's just not how it works, and it never will be. If you only like his run and think everything else is just ruining his work, than you have twisted views and I don't think you should consider yourself an X-Men fan.

Claremont's biggest period of influence was dependent entirely on the time frame in which it occurred. The industry then is NOT the same as it is now (as can be said for many other elements of the entertainment industry). Thus his contemporary work hasn't resonated
    Chris has done his job (and honestly I loved his X-Treme run as well), and Marvel(and now Fox) reaped the benefits long after his work was done. I don't expect him to come back. I would love to see the same attention to detail, the same respect for continuity/growth/development, the same embrace of world-wide diversity, carried into the modern age under the care of editors who marshal their writers with a long-term game plan in mind, for the modern age.

What I am seeing instead are short-sighted trade-paper backs that reshuffle the deck every 12 months with almost zero regard for what came before or what happens next. What I am seeing is the 05(now they had their time, in the freaking 60's) being regurgitated ad nauseam, in a time where an all white cast couldn't be more out of touch. What I am seeing is a hollow shell of Claremont's team being paraded out without any of the heart, any of the intensity that made them so great to begin with.

That is why I speak out. It breaks my heart to see the X-Men in such a silly holding pattern, when at their best, they are the superheroes this world needs. Diverse, fighting for social change, bringing hope to all the corners of the world, using their skills and blood sweat and tears to leave the world better than they found it.

Anything else is a waste of trees.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    What an offensive shitpost.
    How so? It's my opinion. I have enjoyed ANXM under Hopeless' pen - something I'd share on the boards more frequently if the overall attitude to it around here wasn't so toxic - and I'm happy that he gets to continue working with the one teen he didn't get to use before. And that is good compensation for the O5 otherwise being stuck with a writer (Bunn) whose interest is more in arch-drama than fun, and is forcing Magneto - a character I am deeply, deeply tired of - into their status quo to make everything grim and miserable, as Magneto invariably does.

Not seeing anything offensive here.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Well, Hopeless wrote Season One; so yeah, im really interested in this, besides given that the adult Jean is going to stay for how long Quesada still works at Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    ... not the Jean that I grew up loving but it's the character's first solo...

... maybe with some luck the original comes back at the end of the story...
    Same, almost feel obligated, actually. And more curious than enthused, I would say. I'm hesitant, with moderate to low expectations, but trying to remain as hopeful as reality will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    The idea of teen Jean is one of the more interesting concepts of the O5, but the execution up to this point has largely been lacking. ...
    Agreed... and now it just seems like it's gone on WAY too long, and they--including Jeen--have overstayed their welcome.

I always thought their presence was going to lead to a soft reset for their adult selves, with resurrXions where necessary/need apply, and a new status quo/direction for them after it was all said & done.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Not interested in this version of Jean to begin with...
    I was at first, but as time went on... she just didn't feel the same to me, or inspire the level of passion I had for AJ, it just wasn't there. Maybe that'll change w/Blue & the solo, but I'm not holding my breath. She's similar to my Jean, but not enough to where I recognize & love her, the way I did the original.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Doesn't really matter what people here do or say, it's still just a very small part of the overall comic readership.
    And these days, what's worse, is the comic readership is just a very small part of both Marvel & DC's now MUCH larger... broader... overall fan-base. We hardly have as much leverage as we used to, if we ever even had much at all.

Still, I'm never going to stop trying to exert an influence, no matter how insignificant it may seem & most likely... is, 'cause I feel that strongly & frankly... I ENJOY IT! Voicing our concerns, our wants & hopes, for these beloved characters... is a testament to how much we care, and how much they mean to us. I like to think a lot of creators, at least, are really just total fans at heart too!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    ... I'd rather there be no new X-books than disgusting books that bespoil the legacy...
    Well, I'm not quite there... yet. It can & has been discouraging, I know, but just letting them suffer the fate of the F4 say... is practically unconscionable to me, even at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    How so? It's my opinion. I have enjoyed ANXM under Hopeless' pen - something I'd share on the boards more frequently if the overall attitude to it around here wasn't so toxic - and I'm happy that he gets to continue working with the one teen he didn't get to use before. And that is good compensation for the O5 otherwise being stuck with a writer (Bunn) whose interest is more in arch-drama than fun, and is forcing Magneto - a character I am deeply, deeply tired of - into their status quo to make everything grim and miserable, as Magneto invariably does.

Not seeing anything offensive here.
    Bunn already said the tone of the book is NOT gonna be all grim and miserable.

Jean Grey and another Phoenix story? Who would have guessed?

The character is completely tied to the Phoenix at this point. It's basically my main gripe with Jean. Everything she does sooner or later bursts into cosmic flames. Character development is stilted and lacking because of it. She can't really move forward because the Phoenix is the natural progression of her character. Conflicts about her are rarely about her personality or choices, it's usually "Oh no, the phoenix is back, how will she deal with it"...

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Chris has done his job (and honestly I loved his X-Treme run as well), and Marvel(and now Fox) reaped the benefits long after his work was done. I don't expect him to come back. I would love to see the same attention to detail, the same respect for continuity/growth/development, the same embrace of world-wide diversity, carried into the modern age under the care of editors who marshal their writers with a long-term game plan in mind, for the modern age.

What I am seeing instead are short-sighted trade-paper backs that reshuffle the deck every 12 months with almost zero regard for what came before or what happens next. What I am seeing is the 05(now they had their time, in the freaking 60's) being regurgitated ad nauseam, in a time where an all white cast couldn't be more out of touch. What I am seeing is a hollow shell of Claremont's team being paraded out without any of the heart, any of the intensity that made them so great to begin with.

That is why I speak out. It breaks my heart to see the X-Men in such a silly holding pattern, when at their best, they are the superheroes this world needs. Diverse, fighting for social change, bringing hope to all the corners of the world, using their skills and blood sweat and tears to leave the world better than they found it.

Anything else is a waste of trees.
    My only problem with Claremont was his treatment to my favorite character, Cyclops, probably a lot of what went down was editorial but there's no wait that Cyclops hurt by that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Bunn already said the tone of the book is NOT gonna be all grim and miserable.
    I heard that but remain skeptical because Magneto.