Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Digital Comics!

  1. #16
    Mighty Member Taral-DLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    I love reading on the Comixology app! I used to do it on my iPod Touch (in Guided View), but two years ago got my iPad Air and that's perfect (slightly smaller than the issues themselves, but still larger than say a Dark Horse omnibus format, so you're not straining to read a full page, or even a double-page spread in landscape view).

    I've bought tons digitally, almost entirely on sale in some fashion. When things are 99 cents each (or $3.99 for a collection), then I'm much more willing to take a chance on it. And since I've so much to read, I can be patient and wait for sales. You know that some sales will arise when movies come out, when big crossovers happen, during SDCC and NYCC, and during the holidays. And Marvel has at least two sales per week.

    My only complaints are about reading order. I love reading crossover events in chronological order, so I'm jumping around between series a lot. Plus, when you're offline, it often doesn't tell you what the next issue is in your story. Or, if you're reading some of a series in Digital Collections and some in individuals issues (case in point, I read Jem and the Holograms Volume 1, then Volume 2, and then issue 11+ individually, before Volume 3 was released), then it tells you the next issue is Issue 1 (each TPB available, then each issue available).

    So I would love the ability to customize a reading list. I have written them about it before, and may again.
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 12-05-2016 at 07:05 AM.

  2. #17
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    83

    Default

    For readers on iPads, there is an excellent app called Chunky that is better in my opinion than the ComiXology app for reading drm-free comics. It doesn't link with a store or any other comics source, but I use it as my comics reader for books that I buy on ComiXology. It easily allows you to group books into series or any group that you choose, but where it really shines is in providing a superior experience when actually reading. I especially like its ability to lock into a specific zoom mode that carries over from page to page, as well as the way it handles two-page spreads when you're reading in portrait mode. I use that app on a 12.9" iPad Pro and love it.

  3. #18
    DC Enthusiast Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai32 View Post
    For readers on iPads, there is an excellent app called Chunky that is better in my opinion than the ComiXology app for reading drm-free comics. It doesn't link with a store or any other comics source, but I use it as my comics reader for books that I buy on ComiXology. It easily allows you to group books into series or any group that you choose, but where it really shines is in providing a superior experience when actually reading. I especially like its ability to lock into a specific zoom mode that carries over from page to page, as well as the way it handles two-page spreads when you're reading in portrait mode. I use that app on a 12.9" iPad Pro and love it.
    I use the Kindle Fire for now (wont replace until it breaks) But just for clarification: it's just comics that offer the DRM free backup that can be sorted by this and not books published by Marvel and DC that are sold threw Comixology? If so, Another fine example of the pirates getting the better end than the paying customers. I wish Marvel and DC would wake up like the music industry did.

    Thank you for the information though. I do plan to get the Ipad Pro next if no Kindle Fire has come along at similar size.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    I just gave Chunky a quick whirl and whilst it seems a perfectly capable comic reader, it still pales to the ease of use of Comixologys Guided View, imo.

  5. #20
    Fantastic Member Lemurion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    352

    Default

    For me the most important thing about reading digital comics is the size of the tablet. I have a 12.2 inch dual-boot Android/Windows tablet, and it's fantastic for comics. The screen is exactly the same size as a US comic page.

  6. #21
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I just gave Chunky a quick whirl and whilst it seems a perfectly capable comic reader, it still pales to the ease of use of Comixologys Guided View, imo.
    Yeah, if you're on a smaller device and/or use guided view regularly, I would stick with the ComiXology app.

  7. #22
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I use the Kindle Fire for now (wont replace until it breaks) But just for clarification: it's just comics that offer the DRM free backup that can be sorted by this and not books published by Marvel and DC that are sold threw Comixology? If so, Another fine example of the pirates getting the better end than the paying customers. I wish Marvel and DC would wake up like the music industry did.

    Thank you for the information though. I do plan to get the Ipad Pro next if no Kindle Fire has come along at similar size.
    Only drm-free files. If only there was a way to make drm-free copies of the books from Marvel, DC, and the like, that you have purchased through ComiXology. Like perhaps a Google Chrome extension.
    If only …

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Weeeell, you could always screen cap the pages and compile them.
    It'd take a while but its a solution, i guess.

    I just wish DC would offer an Unlimited service...

  9. #24
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Weeeell, you could always screen cap the pages and compile them.
    It'd take a while but its a solution, i guess.

    I just wish DC would offer an Unlimited service...
    I was being a bit too cute. The Google Chrome extension already exists for making drm-free backups of comics you've purchased on ComiXology that don't otherwise offer drm-free copies.

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Antalya/Turkey
    Posts
    948

    Default

    My first experience with the digital started with The Darkness II game, i got the special edition of it and it came with the digital first two volumes of The Darkness comics on Comixology. I tried to read the first volume but i didn't enjoy it much cause i don't know, it just wasn't for me. Later on i got DC Universe Rebirth and Batman Rebirth 1 to try again to see if i enjoy digital cause there was no sign of any HC editions at the begining times of Rebirth so i got the DCU Rebirth and Bat Rebirth 1 but i couldn't make it to the end of DCU Rebirth... I just need that trade in my hand, preferebly HC. (i ordered DCU Rebirth deluxe. Batman Rebirth deluxe is in preorder ) Digital just doesn't do it for me... i guess it has something to do with the feeling of owning it... i need something solid in my hand to say mine or something... not sure.

  11. #26
    DC Enthusiast Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai32 View Post
    I was being a bit too cute. The Google Chrome extension already exists for making drm-free backups of comics you've purchased on ComiXology that don't otherwise offer drm-free copies.
    Ah cool. I'm pretty lazy on stuff like that. I do make backups of things I buy out of habit and when I get to 4 gigs or so burn a disk (mostly because I have no use for blank dvd's anymore and have most of a spindle of 100) recently it was some the bloom county/dungeons & Dragons sale and the Brubaker books and Invincible that had added up.

    I actually don't worry about it from a they will cut you off or go out of business stand point it's just sad that they don't embrace a format that fans can improve on like creating a reading order. Open source stuff like CBZ files are better for the masses. It kind of reminds me of Everquest. I used to play it back in the late 90's and the designers would create stuff they thought was unbeatable but they couldn't out think the 10s of thousands of people out to prove them wrong

  12. #27
    DC Enthusiast Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Lots of year end holiday sales going on.

    Marvel has a bunch of trades from $3.99-$9.99 + 520 issues of X-men for $.99 each.

    DC is selling the end of the new 52 line and some Vertigo books for $5.99 (Omega Men is 12 issues and complete so that is the only tempting one for me)

    Image is doing a line wide 50% off sale!!!

    Boom has their original series on sale.

    Dynamite has 360 books on sale maybe this is the whole line?

    IDW and Titan have some books up as well.

    Also some Manga on sale so worth checking out at Comixology or Amazon. Most sales seem to end 1-3-17.
    Last edited by Tony; 12-20-2016 at 11:59 PM.

  13. #28
    DC Enthusiast Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Immortal Iron Fist vol 1 is currently free on Comixology.

  14. #29
    Mighty Member Javasaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    For me the most important thing about reading digital comics is the size of the tablet. I have a 12.2 inch dual-boot Android/Windows tablet, and it's fantastic for comics. The screen is exactly the same size as a US comic page.
    For digital comics, I currently use a Kindle Fire HD 7 that my wife won in a business card drawing a few years ago. I honestly can't wait to upgrade to a larger tablet someday. The Fire is OK; but due to the screen size, reading frequently requires zooming in, scrolling out, etc. In my opinion, the excess navigation can get in the way of the reading experience. There have been a lot of times during my reading when I have to remind myself that the device was free.

    The way I see it, the Kindle is helping pass the time while I look for a decent deal on a larger, better tablet.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

    Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

  15. #30
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I just wish DC would offer an Unlimited service...
    its one of the reasons I quit reading DC outside Aquaman
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •