All-New Member

Default I'm having trouble with "The Dark Knight Returns"

I'm reading TDKR for the first time and there are several areas in the story where I simply cannot figure out what is happening. One in particular is in the 2nd book (page 94 - 96)...Who is the mutant in pink? Plus, the conversation at the Beet Street Arcade: I cannot figure out what the heck is going on here. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble understanding the book(s)?.

Quote Originally Posted by Bheit63 View Post
    I'm reading TDKR for the first time and there are several areas in the story where I simply cannot figure out what is happening. One in particular is in the 2nd book (page 94 - 96)...Who is the mutant in pink? Plus, the conversation at the Beet Street Arcade: I cannot figure out what the heck is going on here. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble understanding the book(s)?.
    The first time I read the book I was a little confused too. It makes more sense the 2nd time. Also if you watch the animated movie and then go back and read the book it's even better.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Is that the scene were Robin's undercover as a Mutant to spread word about a "super secret for real Mutants only" meeting?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Is that the scene were Robin's undercover as a Mutant to spread word about a "super secret for real Mutants only" meeting?
    yes I believe it is

All-New Member

That's the scene where Carrie is spreading the word about the secret mutant meeting, but the reality is that it's just a setup for Bats to face down with the Mutant leader in front of his followers , correct? Not sure where the confusion may be. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
    That's the scene where Carrie is spreading the word about the secret mutant meeting, but the reality is that it's just a setup for Bats to face down with the Mutant leader in front of his followers , correct? Not sure where the confusion may be. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.
    The part that has me all confused is specifically when the mutants are speaking, i.e. "...and leader don't shiv...", "chegs",....all that stuff. I have no idea what they're talking about.

Amazing Member

The part that has me all confused is specifically when the mutants are speaking, i.e. "...and leader don't shiv...", "chegs",....all that stuff. I have no idea what they're talking about.
    It's mutant slang. I think the point is you're not really supposed to understand exactly what they're talking about, beyond the broad strokes.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gee-EL View Post
    It's mutant slang. I think the point is you're not really supposed to understand exactly what they're talking about, beyond the broad strokes.
    Cool. Thanks for the help everyone.

Cool. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Balls nasty, bro.

BANNED

Normally I think it's lame when a writer comes up with their own street lingo, but I loved the Mutants' speech.

Chicken legs, lickin' legs. Slice and dice!

Apparently it's not made up lingo, but actually slang that was used in the area where Frank Miller was living at the time.

If you don't like made up lingo though, avoid Azzarello + Risso's Spaceman. It's good, but deciphering the slang made it take a lot longer to read.

I remember reading somewhere that Lynn Varley (Millers partner and colourist) took the lead developing the mutant language.

Edit - lol at this post, and a great little blog
    http://dkreturns.blogspot.com.au/201...ictionary.html