Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Being fat is not exactly an actual disease. Being excessively fat is bad, yes. But if you're just fat, not too much, but just fat (like Valiant's Faith), and you're happy the way you are, and your health is good, then what's the problem? None! I agree that you should be allowed to say a person is fat, so she can take care of herself not to grow fatter. But losing weight is so difficult that when a person is just fat, she shouldn't be looked down upon because of that. And there's also the fact that there's some luck involved, meaning genetics. I have a friend, for example, who can eat everything he wants and he's extremely skinny, never gaining any weight. So it depends, 'cause there's a difference between fat and outright obese.
    Yeah, IIRC, there are three body types: ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph.
    One can't gain weight unless with extreme effort and supplements (ecto), one can't even touch food without gaining weight (endo) and one is a perfect balance of the two and represents what's known as 'ideal' (meso).

Most advertising uses mesomorph males (because they have an easier time building muscles and keeping weight off) and ectomorph females (because they're naturally leaner).

If an ectomorph or mesomorph gets overweight, there is a health problem. And their bodies aren't naturally prepared for it.
    An endomorph being skinny is also a sign of a health problem, as their bodies are naturally prepared to store fat.
    However, an endomorph can still become overweight if they're above their natural weight, just like an ectomorph can be at risk if they lose too much weight.

The problems stem mostly from the 'ideal' female image being close to an ectomorph natural, which isn't hard for a mesomorph to come close to with no health problems, but unnatural for an endomorph (and could cause problems).
    The mesomorph 'ideal' for male puts less pressure on men, but ectomorphs still feel like they need to have muscles and or fat to appear acceptable and endomorphs still feel like they should be skinnier.
    They just don't feel the same level of pressure that endomorph females do because the 'ideal' male is in the center of the spectrum instead of the far left.

Btw, the 'ideal' female image was closer to meso in the '50s, as Marilyn was pretty much the ideal of the time. But by the '90s, she could be seen as too heavy and referred to as 'plump' due to thinner models becoming the norm.

Btw 2, I'm ectomorph, myself. I can eat a Big Mac and fries right before bed and not gain a pound. But to actually gain weight, I would need to stick to a high protein/high carb diet of 3000+ calories a day and workout seven days a week.
    After two weeks of this, I'd look more meso (and 'ideal'). But if I stopped working out and went back to a regular diet, I would be back to my natural thin shape within a week, and lose everything I worked so hard for.
    On the plus side, after I hit 40 it's become a bit easier to keep some weight on, but no easier to keep muscle mass.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-03-2016 at 04:12 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Not just for the sake of getting someone who is overweight. There are a couple of heavy heroes that I like. But they always come across like layers of fat covering muscle. Like the kind of men who lift heavy weights but who consume too much starch and sugar. I wouldn't buy a book just for a heavy character. One of the appeals of SH is that they display men and women in peak physical shape. Which shows dedication, discipline, dignity, a strong work ethic & patience.

Another reason for a little fatter characters would be to be more realistic, because in real life the whole world isn't made of weightlifters.
    Plu other types of beauty being represented would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    ...dedication, discipline, dignity, a strong work ethic & patience.
    I get your point and I know that's obviously why superheroes are depicted as being in great physical shape regardless of their powers, but none of the qualities listed above precludes a person who is "plus-size" and that's part of the stereotype - that heavier people must not have those qualities.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Wolvie isn't really that short anymore for the most part, and not at all in cartoons & movies. So having an actual short hero would be neat. And no ant-man & atom don't count either.
    Not even Al Pratt (Atom)? He's only 5'1".

Yes I would buy it if it's a good character written and drawn well

BANNED

If it's the Christina Hendricks/Ivy Doomkitty kind of plus sized you're talking about, then hell yes. I don't think DC needs their own version of Faith, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    If it's the Christina Hendricks/Ivy Doomkitty kind of plus sized you're talking about, then hell yes. I don't think DC needs their own version of Faith, though.
    What about DC's own version of..
    https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en&sa...=tess+holliday

(if the link doesn't work.. try Tess Holliday.)

Jeez ... soon superhero comics will just be about gender-neutral chubby people doing their grocery shopping!!!

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    No.

Being fat is not an ethinicity to be represented. It's a disease that requires treatment.

If fat people feel bad to be called fat, that's a good thing. It's something to motivate them to deal with their condition and attempt to cure themselves.
    Being fat is not an ethnicity, nor is it a disease. For the most part, in the real world “plus size” models aren't that “fat” either (there are some exceptions, I guess), they're just not as skinny as most models (this is from a guy who's watched every season of America's Next Top Model with his girlfriend).

While good diet and exorcise is a fine thing for anyone to aspire to; even with these things some people , for a very wide range of reasons, still might not fit into your image of a “fit” body type. It's ok for us to look any way we do.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

We need a fat, feminist, non binary gender, gender fluid with ketchup red hair whose job is to cry in tumblr to lead the pact!

Would be revolutionary!

That aside, eh. I don't think DC should have a fat or plus size superhero. Superheroes are already a fantasy why try adding realism to something read to escape in? Most have powers that are not possible irl. Irl how possible is it to make the world your slave like some supervillain plans, very oblivious people (looking at Gotham), etc. If the main stars are skinny then so be it.
    Last edited by Troian; 12-05-2016 at 10:12 AM.

I don't know if we need a plus size hero, but it would be fun to see a panel or two dedicated to showing that superheroes actually work out.

For example, Green Lanterns costumes are obviously very form fitting, and Guy Gardner obviously loves his brewskis. I'd love a panel of him lamenting the things he does for beer/looking good in the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I don't know if we need a plus size hero, but it would be fun to see a panel or two dedicated to showing that superheroes actually work out.

For example, Green Lanterns costumes are obviously very form fitting, and Guy Gardner obviously loves his brewskis. I'd love a panel of him lamenting the things he does for beer/looking good in the suit.
    I remember Huntress complaining about how many pull-ups she has to do to maintain her figure in that costume .

I read comics to escape, and when I escape there is nothing wrong with eye candy.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Astonishing Member

Hey at least one of the Flash's descendants is a chubby speedster, so why not.