View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Indigenous Character In The DCU?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tye Longshadow/Apache Chief

19 27.14%
  • Manitou Dawn

4 5.71%
  • Manitou Raven

4 5.71%
  • Dawnstar

29 41.43%
  • Miiyahbin Marten

5 7.14%
  • Others

9 12.86%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Indigenous Characters In The DCU

Figured we'd have a thread about indigenous characters in the DCU seeing as how there doesn't appear to be one. DC doesn't have much in the way of good Native American characters from what I've seen but I figured one featuring the ones we like would still be good.

Quite a few i would love to see more of but i have to vote for Equinox on the list.

Arak
    Arak Wind-Walker
    Black Bison I-II
    Black Condor I & IV
    Brave Bow
    Butcher
    Chad Solomon Kiyahani
    Chindi
    Comanche
    Corona
    Dark-Crow
    Flying Fox
    Johnny Cloud I-II
    Kishana Lewis
    Little Sure Shot
    Man-of-Bats
    Medicine Man
    Mighty Eagle
    Night Eagle
    Nightwolf
    Owlwoman
    Rainmaker
    Raven Red
    Renegades (Chief Crazy Horse, Tall Tree, Rain-in-the-Face, Thundercloud)
    Russ Tennclouds
    Seneca
    Silver Deer
    Sky Alchesay
    Strong Bow
    Super-Chief I-III
    Walking Eagle
    Wildstar
    Willpower
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 12-03-2016 at 02:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'm going for Man-of-Bats and Raven, just because well, DC has terrible, terrible Indians.

Does anyone know why Grayson wasn't "allowed" to confirm Arsenal's mother was Dine, back when they were doubling down on his Navajo raising and tribal affiliation?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm going for Man-of-Bats and Raven, just because well, DC has terrible, terrible Indians.

Does anyone know why Grayson wasn't "allowed" to confirm Arsenal's mother was Dine, back when they were doubling down on his Navajo raising and tribal affiliation?
    Seriously? That sounds like an early sign that Devin Grayson was more interested in legitimizing her fanfiction than writing good comics.

Then again, it may just be simply that fair-skinned, red-haired Roy Harper may not be that believable as a half-Native child? I could be talking out of my ass here, though.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Seriously? That sounds like an early sign that Devin Grayson was more interested in legitimizing her fanfiction than writing good comics.

Then again, it may just be simply that fair-skinned, red-haired Roy Harper may not be that believable as a half-Native child? I could be talking out of my ass here, though.
    His father, the only parent we've ever seen, is a light-skinned redhead.

Children inherit genes from both parents and can look more like either (or like neither, for that matter).

Nor, would that specify that his mother was full-blood (which, due to how enrollment works, might not even mean she was "full blood," if we want to get straight up Nazi blood quanta about it) or not, how light or dark she was. Especially since, afaik, we've never seen her.

For the record, though, she didn't invent Roy being raised by Dine, I'm not even sure she's the one who first wrote him as enrolled. That's been Roy's childhood since there's been a Roy Harper.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

WHat exactly were Miiyahbin's powers supposed to be? Was she some kind of elemental?

BANNED

...........no pieface?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I went with Manitou Dawn. She was a fascinating character with a world of potential, and I really hope that someone will eventually bring her back and do something great with her.

Dawnstar and Equinox are also awesome, though.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I went with Manitou Dawn. She was a fascinating character with a world of potential, and I really hope that someone will eventually bring her back and do something great with her.

Dawnstar and Equinox are also awesome, though.
    I liked Dawnstar in the JLA: Lost In Time movie and thought her light powers were cool. Surprised they haven't been brought into the comics. Also, what were Equinox's powers?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I liked Dawnstar in the JLA: Lost In Time movie and thought her light powers were cool. Surprised they haven't been brought into the comics. Also, what were Equinox's powers?
    They weren't really well-defined. Something to do with her powers changing with the seasons. We mostly just saw her shooting blue energy blasts. I think we saw some freezing effects out of her, since the story took place in winter.

But yeah, flight and blue energy blasts were the major things we saw out of her. Hopefully another writer will pick her up and run with her.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    They weren't really well-defined. Something to do with her powers changing with the seasons. We mostly just saw her shooting blue energy blasts. I think we saw some freezing effects out of her, since the story took place in winter.

But yeah, flight and blue energy blasts were the major things we saw out of her. Hopefully another writer will pick her up and run with her.
    Okay, thanks.

I voted Dawnstar, but I also love the latest Black Condor. (with the mohawk)

I think my choice is between Longshadow/Apache Chief and Dawnstar. Although to be honest some of the Latino characters can be considered racially Native American.

Ill update later with pictures like the other threads
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post

My wife is half Native and you'd never know it looking at her. Our kids are quarter Native and dont look it either.

I liked the fact that Grayson dipped into a part of Roy's past no one had really done anything with. It was all there from the start, just ignored. Nice to see her flesh it out. Actually, Roy was about the only character I think she wrote really well.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.