View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Indigenous Character In The DCU?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tye Longshadow/Apache Chief

19 27.14%
  • Manitou Dawn

4 5.71%
  • Manitou Raven

4 5.71%
  • Dawnstar

29 41.43%
  • Miiyahbin Marten

5 7.14%
  • Others

9 12.86%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Miiyahbin Marten.

I have no idea who she is, but from the listed ones she's the only one that doesn't look like a charicature.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Miiyahbin Marten.

I have no idea who she is, but from the listed ones she's the only one that doesn't look like a charicature.
    Manitou Dawn wasn't a caricature. She started out wearing the stereotypical buckskin dress and Native American accoutrements, but she lived in the times when such trappings were actually appropriate. Once she and her husband came to the modern age, she started to embrace the modern world almost immediately. She only resumed more "traditional" trappings after she inherited her husband's magical legacy, and even then she was clearly still a modern woman who bucked a lot of stereotypes.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Manitou Dawn wasn't a caricature. She started out wearing the stereotypical buckskin dress and Native American accoutrements, but she lived in the times when such trappings were actually appropriate.

Totes "appropriate" for a super-magic character from an entirely made up society from three thousand years ago. Or, a modern superhero.

I'd say it needs more skin and more skulls, but then she'd just be her husband. (At least her clothes are ragged and falling apart?)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I think my choice is between Longshadow/Apache Chief and Dawnstar. Although to be honest some of the Latino characters can be considered racially Native American.

Most native americans are of asian origin.In fact most east asians and most native americans belong to the same race called Mongoloid.

Mongoloid
    Mongoloid /ˈmɒŋ.ɡə.lɔɪd/ is a term for peoples indigenous to East Asia, Central Asia, Southeast Asia, Siberia or North Asia, Northern Europe, the Arctic, the Americas,parts of the Pacific Islands, parts of Africa (Madagascar), and South Asia. Individuals within these populations often share certain associated phenotypic traits, such as epicanthic folds (epicanthus), sinodonty, and neoteny.

Geographic range and populations included
    Mongoloid or Asiatic peoples are the most spread out among all human populations since they have stretched almost completely around the earth's surface. They can be found as far "east" as Greenland, and yet also as far to the "west" as Kalmykia, the Crimea, and even Scandinavia, giving Asiatic peoples or their descendants a historical presence across the vast expanse of four continents. According to the Meyers Konversations-Lexikon (1885–90), peoples included in the Mongoloid race are North Mongol, Chinese & Indochinese, Japanese & Korean, Tibetan, Malay, Polynesian, Maori, Micronesian, Eskimo, and Native American.
    Subraces
    In 1900, Joseph Deniker said the "Mongol race admits two varieties or subraces: Tunguse or Northern Mongolian... and Southern Mongolian".

Archaeologist Peter Bellwood claims that the vast majority of people in Southeast Asia, the region he calls the "clinal Mongoloid-Australoid zone", are Southern Mongoloids but have a high degree of Australoid admixture.

Professor of anthropology, Akazawa Takeru (赤沢威?) at the International Research Center for Japanese Studies, Kyoto, said that there are Neo-Mongoloids and Paleo-Mongoloids. Akazawa said Neo-Mongoloids have "extreme Mongoloid, cold-adapted features" and they include the Chinese, Buryats, Eskimo and Chukchi. In contrast, Akazawa said Paleo-Mongoloids are less cold-adapted. He said Burmese, Filipinos, Polynesians, Jōmon and the indigenous peoples of the Americas were Paleo-Mongoloid.
    The term Mongoloid is not use as much these says so the term east asian or east asian origins tends to be use more often.

Note-Australoids are black asians.
    Of course there are black asians in asia who are not Australoids as well.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-04-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Here some more info.

Asian people
    Eugénia Maria Guedes Pinto Antunes da Cunha of the Department of Anthropology, University of Coimbra, Portugal, said there has been a modern trend in "most of the forensic anthropology literature" to "rename" the term "Mongoloid", a term in which she includes the "North American Indian", with the term "Asian" or "Asiatic". Antunes da Cunha said that, even though the "terminology" has changed, the "underlying assumptions are the same".
    Karen T. Taylor forensic art professor at the FBI Academy, Quantico, Virginia, said that the term "Asian-derived" is a modern-day euphemism for the "Mongoloid race" and it includes "Native Americans" and "various Asian groups".

Note-
    Another point.The reason i say most native americans are racially Mongoloid and not all is because there are some that are racially white and some that are racially black but their culture is basically native american and they call themselves that.

Are Native American Indians fundamentally Asians?
    Yes.
    http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask41
    Last edited by mace11; 12-04-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Now getting back to the topic.

Native American
    Category:Native American | DC Database | Fandom powered by Wikia
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Native_American

First Nations
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:First_Nations

Inuit
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Inuit
    Last edited by mace11; 12-04-2016 at 01:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Edited/added info above.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-04-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Yeah, they're Asian if you go back over 14,000 years ago. Notably, 14,000 years ago, none of our contemporary understandings of the increasingly outdated theory of "race" would apply virtually anywhere. Go back far enough, we're all African.

But, nobody goes into "Who is your favorite European superhero" with "Well, the English are really German and French and the French are really... and in the end, they're all from Africa." Because it would have incredibly little bearing on fictional 20th and 21st Century characters in the DCU, a place that has an entirely different history, anyway, in which "white" races populated "prehistoric" North America, including Anthro and Vandal Savage and there's a race of magic people from Atlantis intermarrying with other races, etc.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

So what changes, if any, would you make to DC's indigenous characters if you wanted

For me

Tye Longshadow - I'd make a Longshadow a sort of "Shadow lantern". He can produce a sort of "dark matter" that he can shape at will. It can also enhance his physical stats and produce flight of sorts. The material can also be used to render Tye invisible or turn invisible itself. What the matter is remains unknown and is hard to explain by science but is not magic.

Dawnstar - I'd just give her the light powers from JLA: Trapped In Time.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I voted Dawnstar, but I also love the latest Black Condor. (with the mohawk)
    I really loved that version of Black Condor. I really hope he returns one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

A wikipedia search says the second version of this character was a telekinetic. Points for a less stereotypical power set for Native American characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Count another who loved Juan Trujillo version of Condor.

Owlwoman of the Global Guardians deserves a revisit.

Also Tye Longshadow, the reimagining of Apache Chief by way of JLU and Young Justice.

Last edited by Güicho; 12-05-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

There's Ya'Wara. She's a member of the Tapirape the Indigenous people of Brazil. Loved her in most of her showings. Loved that she had a friendship with most land animals the way Aquaman has with sea creatures.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

Totes "appropriate" for a super-magic character from an entirely made up society from three thousand years ago. Or, a modern superhero.

I'd say it needs more skin and more skulls, but then she'd just be her husband. (At least her clothes are ragged and falling apart?)
    Wow. Thanks for only addressing HALF my post.

You did read the part where I said she abandoned that look almost as soon as she reached the modern world, right? Then it was jeans and t-shirts. She only went back to "Native" trappings when she inherited her husband's magic.

As for the style of clothing? It was what? The 90s? That was just the fashions of the time in comics. If Dawn were brought into comics today, she'd no doubt be wearing something more authentic and/or practical.

What I said by her not being a caricature is the fact that she didn't ACT like a caricature. To me, personality ALWAYS trumps clothing choices when talking about caricatures. The fact that she acted nothing like a stereotypical Native American makes her not a caricature, in my mind. She started out a submissive ancient wife, then evolved rapidly into a modern woman. That makes her clothing choices (which were just the products of the time in which she was created) the only remotely "caricature" thing about her. The important stuff? Not so much.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Wow. Thanks for only addressing HALF my post.

You did read the part where I said she abandoned that look almost as soon as she reached the modern world, right? Then it was jeans and t-shirts. She only went back to "Native" trappings when she inherited her husband's magic.
    No, that's not the look she abandoned early on. That is the look she adopted much later after her husband died. Roughly at the same time she abandoned any and all "evolvement" into modern woman.