View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Indigenous Character In The DCU?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tye Longshadow/Apache Chief

19 27.14%
  • Manitou Dawn

4 5.71%
  • Manitou Raven

4 5.71%
  • Dawnstar

29 41.43%
  • Miiyahbin Marten

5 7.14%
  • Others

9 12.86%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No, that's not the look she abandoned early on. That is the look she adopted much later after her husband died. Roughly at the same time she abandoned any and all "evolvement" into modern woman.
    Hm. Maybe I didn't read that particular story, then.

Was this the same writer who wrote her development just backpedaling on her evolution? Or was it another case of "Another writer gets his hands on a character and undoes everything the previous writer did with her?"
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Hm. Maybe I didn't read that particular story, then.

Was this the same writer who wrote her development just backpedaling on her evolution? Or was it another case of "Another writer gets his hands on a character and undoes everything the previous writer did with her?"
    It was Justice League Elite, and it was written by her creator Joe Kelly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Yeah, they're Asian if you go back over 14,000 years ago. Notably, 14,000 years ago, none of our contemporary understandings of the increasingly outdated theory of "race" would apply virtually anywhere. Go back far enough, we're all African.

But, nobody goes into "Who is your favorite European superhero" with "Well, the English are really German and French and the French are really... and in the end, they're all from Africa." Because it would have incredibly little bearing on fictional 20th and 21st Century characters in the DCU, a place that has an entirely different history, anyway, in which "white" races populated "prehistoric" North America, including Anthro and Vandal Savage and there's a race of magic people from Atlantis intermarrying with other races, etc.
    English and german are different ethnic groups but still belong to white race.

I was replying to say native americans are not thier own race.
    Native americans however are not asian asian just like Polynesians are not asian asian either.
    That's why i said they are racially Mongoloid(asiatic).
    They still belong to one race even if native americans and Polynesians left asia many many years ago.
    That's all i am saying.

The dc and marvel universes by the way have different civilizations,dna info,histories and events in those universes with some similarities going on,so you right about that but even then the ethnic english and ethnic germans still belong to the white race.
    Native americans and Polynesians belong to the Asiatic race like our universe even if there are different things going on just like there are different things going on in other continents and other islands in dc and marvel.

Note- like i said above not all native americans are Mongoloid and not all Polynesians either.Some Polynesians i have seen are black asians.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-14-2016 at 06:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It was Justice League Elite, and it was written by her creator Joe Kelly.
    Yeesh. That's disappointing. I thought I read all of Elite. Guess I was wrong, or I don't remember that part.

So, yeah. Maybe not the best example. Still think she has a lot of potential, though.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    English and german are different ethnic groups but still belong to white race.
    Nah. They're African. They're all black. They're really, really pale black people. All black.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yeesh. That's disappointing. I thought I read all of Elite. Guess I was wrong, or I don't remember that part.

So, yeah. Maybe not the best example. Still think she has a lot of potential, though.
    She had/has potential. But, all characters have potential.I just think you're fighting an uphill battle.

But, then, I wasn't impressed with the Elite, in general, and find the character designs in the Kelly-written What's So Funny About Truth and Justice? to be racially and socially coded to an almost disgusting extreme, even without her (and being a different variation on the Elite, natch). I'm probably predisposed to be critical when it comes to the aesthetics of his comics and work, because we're on different wavelengths about a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 12-05-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I loved Ty Longshadow on Young Justice. I really wish they would bring him into the DCU comics. they could use another Giantman-like character. plus Apache Chief is pretty iconic already.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A wikipedia search says the second version of this character was a telekinetic. Points for a less stereotypical power set for Native American characters.
    What is the Native American power set stereotype?

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    probably a shaman

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    probably a shaman
    ... or a painted warrior, wielding a low-tech weapon

Astonishing Member

And to some extent someone whose powers are vague Earth connections/nature. (Though that's usually a bit more understandable and less awkward)

Owl Woman (Wenonah Littlebird) is my top choice.
    - Hope she gets some attention soon. -

Last edited by Herowatcher; 09-26-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    But, nobody goes into "Who is your favorite European superhero" with "Well, the English are really German and French and the French are really... and in the end, they're all from Africa."
    Most (at least somehow relevant) European characters are anyway villains, especially German and French ones.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Most (at least somehow relevant) European characters are anyway villains, especially German and French ones.
    European, in this sense, should probably refer to all Euro-descent people, since Dawnstar made this cut and she's from space.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

In terms of Native Americans with magic powers, I think it would work best if they just made their designs less stereotypical and noted that shamans and sorcerers are not the same thing. Nico Minorou from Runaways is a good example of making a magic pic character without making them a stereotypical joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In terms of Native Americans with magic powers, I think it would work best if they just made their designs less stereotypical and noted that shamans and sorcerers are not the same thing. Nico Minorou from Runaways is a good example of making a magic pic character without making them a stereotypical joke.
    She's a Japanese girl dressed as a goth lolita. How was she not a stereotype?