View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Indigenous Character In The DCU?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tye Longshadow/Apache Chief

19 27.14%
  • Manitou Dawn

4 5.71%
  • Manitou Raven

4 5.71%
  • Dawnstar

29 41.43%
  • Miiyahbin Marten

5 7.14%
  • Others

9 12.86%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    She's a Japanese girl dressed as a goth lolita. How was she not a stereotype?
    Japanese goth wasn't a stereotype I was aware of.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

She's the only one in Runaways who wore what amounted to a national costume. Well-written enough, overall, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is a thing you can point to.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Wonder Woman also wore a national costume for many years and I am not even sure if she was a real american.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Wonder Woman also wore a national costume for many years and I am not even sure if she was a real american.
    Her birth certificate says Hawaii.

Seriously, though, Wonder Woman's costume is designed to be nationalistic, but it's not what people from any real country stereotypically wear. The idea that every NDN character, from any nation or era should be in buckskins with at least three feathers and maybe a skull, that's a stereotype people think reflects a real reality. The Gothic Lolita thing is a ongoing fashion trend, and it is rooted in one nation, but at the same time, there has to be some cultural reflection or what've you got?

It's a hard balance.

I was rereading Books of Magic, recently, and they somehow conflate China and Japan of two entirely different eras on one page so they can get back to Europe, because Europe and Europeans are *#&ing important to magic! And, well... they're writing and painting for a particular audience. And, it's Gaiman. He didn't think people got buried in North America before the 19th Century, when someone caught him off guard.

Ain't nobody perfect.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

What would you guys say to Manitou Dawn being on the Birds of Prey?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What would you guys say to Manitou Dawn being on the Birds of Prey?
    I've already voiced my support for her. I think re-designed to modern tastes, she'd be a great character. The birds would be a good place for her. They could always use a magic user, and Zatanna is often busy.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I've already voiced my support for her. I think re-designed to modern tastes, she'd be a great character. The birds would be a good place for her. They could always use a magic user, and Zatanna is often busy.
    How would you depict her powers?

Extraordinary Member

I edited/add some info in one of my replies in the last page.

Here is a marvel native american superhero thread.
    http://community.comicbookresources....an-Superheroes
    Last edited by mace11; 12-14-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How would you depict her powers?
    It would depend on her re-design.

If they keep the idea of her being a time-displaced woman from the ancient past, then I suppose her magic should at least be rooted in Native American shamanic traditions. Now, the thing that I liked about her was the fact that she came to the modern world and quickly embraced it, so I would like the idea that she studies more "modern" styles of magic as well. This would prevent her from being limited to "just" somewhat stereotypical portrayals of Native American shamanism. That's her home, but she can and does branch out and incorporate other ideas into her portfolio.

If they change her so that she's already a fully modern character? No more "from the distant past" origin? Then I'd like the idea of them just portraying her as a student of various magical disciplines. No need to cater specifically to any cultural stereotype. She's a woman with a natural curiosity who turned her thoughts toward exploring magic in its various forms. I'd make her kind of a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" kind of mystic. Her biggest strength is just the sheer diversity of magical knowledge that she happens to know. Enemies never quite know if she has a spell or two that they've never seen or heard of before.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

If they change her so that she's already a fully modern character? No more "from the distant past" origin? Then I'd like the idea of them just portraying her as a student of various magical disciplines. No need to cater specifically to any cultural stereotype. She's a woman with a natural curiosity who turned her thoughts toward exploring magic in its various forms. I'd make her kind of a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" kind of mystic. Her biggest strength is just the sheer diversity of magical knowledge that she happens to know. Enemies never quite know if she has a spell or two that they've never seen or heard of before.
    This sounds like a good idea. You could even make it so that she keeps what types of spells she knows a secret and tries to avoid using the same trick more than once or twice to be pragmatic.

Do you guys have any ideas for original indigenous characters for the DCU? For me, I was thinking a character called Paige Carver, a telekinetic agent who works for one of DC's organizations tasked with fighting the supernatural.

They should just bring back Captain Fear. Bring him from back in time to the present or something.

Captain Fear - when not being written as a horny Spaniard by Azzarello - was a badass. (Who I don't think has shown up anywhere since the absurdly underrated Judas Coin.)

It would depend on her re-design.

If they keep the idea of her being a time-displaced woman from the ancient past, then I suppose her magic should at least be rooted in Native American shamanic traditions. Now, the thing that I liked about her was the fact that she came to the modern world and quickly embraced it, so I would like the idea that she studies more "modern" styles of magic as well. This would prevent her from being limited to "just" somewhat stereotypical portrayals of Native American shamanism. That's her home, but she can and does branch out and incorporate other ideas into her portfolio.

Actually, I thought of another niche Dawn can occupy. We don't have a lot of mages in the DCU that also use human weapons and fighting abilities. You could also do that for her.

Kicking down doors and saving lives!

Fighting the good fight!

I always thought Tye Longshadow was pretty awesome. I think he acts as a great way to update Apache Chief.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!