View Poll Results: Who Is Your Favorite Indigenous Character In The DCU?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tye Longshadow/Apache Chief

19 27.14%
  • Manitou Dawn

4 5.71%
  • Manitou Raven

4 5.71%
  • Dawnstar

29 41.43%
  • Miiyahbin Marten

5 7.14%
  • Others

9 12.86%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

How was Rainmaker in The Movement? I gather she's got weather powers there instead of electrical, which is a late in the game development I've never liked, but I do like Simone's writing well enough, much of the time.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

I always thought Tye Longshadow was pretty awesome. I think he acts as a great way to update Apache Chief.

Loved the depiction of Tye's powers in Young Justice. Would not mind an aged down version joining the Rebirth Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    How was Rainmaker in The Movement? I gather she's got weather powers there instead of electrical, which is a late in the game development I've never liked, but I do like Simone's writing well enough, much of the time.
    I though she always had the weather powers.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I though she always had the weather powers.
    While, obviously, there are issues I might've missed/forgotten, she's pretty exclusively about generating electricity at least through the original team's "death" at the end of the first ongoing. Rainmaker, like Fairchild, being a surname rather than a superhero name.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

I always thought Tye Longshadow was pretty awesome. I think he acts as a great way to update Apache Chief.
    What do you think of this idea?

Tye Longshadow - I'd make a Longshadow a sort of "Shadow lantern". He can produce a sort of "dark matter" that he can shape at will. It can also enhance his physical stats and produce flight of sorts. The material can also be used to render Tye invisible or turn invisible itself. What the matter is remains unknown and is hard to explain by science but is not magic.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-19-2016 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    While, obviously, there are issues I might've missed/forgotten, she's pretty exclusively about generating electricity at least through the original team's "death" at the end of the first ongoing. Rainmaker, like Fairchild, being a surname rather than a superhero name.
    I guess one idea is that she was just better skilled with electricity. She is shown as being more powerful in Simone's The Movement. I wouldn't mind seeing her return in Wildstorm.

I was thinking of maybe making Equinox some kind of cross between an Avatar and a Kamen Rider. Will post more ideas later to elaborate.

Doing a bit of research on Cree mythology, I'd try to make Equinox's powers connected to Kisemanito, the Cree creator god. As her abilities involve seasons, I'd make it so that she can access one season per day and each season grants her different abilities

Autumn - Wind manipulation and teleportation

Winter - Slowing down time and telepathy

Spring - Reanimation, summoning of mythical beasts and limited creation of matter

Summer - Super strength, speed and durability

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-10-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Doing a bit of research on Cree mythology, I'd try to make Equinox's powers connected to Kisemanito, the Cree creator god. As her abilities involve seasons, I'd make it so that she can access one season per day and each season grants her different abilities

Autumn - Wind manipulation and teleportation

Winter - Slowing down time and telepathy

Spring - Reanimation, summoning of mythical beasts and limited creation of matter

Summer - Super strength, speed and durability

Thoughts?
    What do you guys think?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

What do you guys think?
    Makes sense to me.

I'd like to see a writer do a 12-issue miniseries of her that spans an entire year for her. Three-issue arc for each season. Good way to show how her powers can be different depending on the time of year.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I hope she returns at some point. She sounds like she'd be a great character.

I hope she returns at some point. She sounds like she'd be a great character.
    She was pretty fun, and Lemire did a good job of avoiding pretty much all the usual stereotypes for Indigenous characers.

I can see her being a little challenging to write for some writers, though. You have to actually take into account the time of year in which your story takes place when determining what she can and can't do. Some writers may find that frustrating.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    She was pretty fun, and Lemire did a good job of avoiding pretty much all the usual stereotypes for Indigenous characers.

I can see her being a little challenging to write for some writers, though. You have to actually take into account the time of year in which your story takes place when determining what she can and can't do. Some writers may find that frustrating.
    In my idea the "season" are more special modes she can access per day rather than literal seasons.

In my idea the "season" are more special modes she can access per day rather than literal seasons.
    Yeah, that would work better. Have her select the power set that works best for a given situation.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

If they change her so that she's already a fully modern character? No more "from the distant past" origin? Then I'd like the idea of them just portraying her as a student of various magical disciplines. No need to cater specifically to any cultural stereotype. She's a woman with a natural curiosity who turned her thoughts toward exploring magic in its various forms. I'd make her kind of a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" kind of mystic. Her biggest strength is just the sheer diversity of magical knowledge that she happens to know. Enemies never quite know if she has a spell or two that they've never seen or heard of before.
    By the way, I love this idea. Places emphasis on the character's wits and smarts, particularly if she mixes a little technology into the mix.

Huh. That's not too far from Constantine territory (minus the ******* personality).