Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think he makes a lot of fair valid points on the problems with this game, especially in terms of characters included, them as just 'functions' and the pathetic reasons they give for the absence of the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters. Honestly it sounds as if Capcom really just cares about the Fighting Game Community and ESports and has tacked on the story content to compete with NR, but in a very lazy way.

Fantastic Member

In that one interview, they may be right in a way. MVC2 was nearly 20 years ago and they're trying to sell this game to more than just the people that played that as well as the previous Marvel/Capcom fighters beforehand. And honestly half the X-men probably aren't very known to the average modern Marvel fan. Let's look at a few

Wolverine, Storm and Magneto are easily recognizable. I think the last time I saw Psylocke in a game was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. She was in the last X-men movie, but it wasn't like that was a major role or anything and she didn't have very many lines. The movies honestly don't do a very good job at giving side X-men spotlight. My point is the average super hero fans probably couldn't tell you a thing about this character. Cyclops, he was just in the last movie with a more relevant part, but he spent the first movie trilogy basically getting the shaft. Especially in The Last Stand. He was basically the Hawkeye of those movies screen time wise. And if Sentinel ever returned, it would be for the same reason he returned in MVC3.

I could go on but half of the X-men in MVC2 probably aren't very well known by newer age kids. People will ask who is Marrow or who the heck is Spiral and that will be a loss of words there. Not saying I completely agree with Capcom and that silly interview(especially about the characters just being "functions") but they probably aren't incredibly far off from saying many modern day Marvel fans and how they perceive a lot of the X-men characters.
    Last edited by KCJ506; 06-29-2017 at 04:11 AM.

Combo's comment was stupid, but what can they say? Jay Ong from Marvel Games can't even speak on the X-Mens stuff, so I assume this would apply to Capcom as well.

Nothing can be said that'll satisfy people about the lack of X-Men/Doom in the game. We all know what the answer is: Marvel (I know it's Ike, but he represents Marvel as a whole) wants to promote the MCU and not Fox characters. Capcom just can't say that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    Combo's comment was stupid, but what can they say? Jay Ong from Marvel Games can't even speak on the X-Mens stuff, so I assume this would apply to Capcom as well.

Nothing can be said that'll satisfy people about the lack of X-Men/Doom in the game. We all know what the answer is: Marvel (I know it's Ike, but he represents Marvel as a whole) wants to promote the MCU and not Fox characters. Capcom just can't say that, though.
    Gadzillion managed to say so as the reason why they had to remove the FF, at least until the posts were taken down. I think some fans would just value honesty, especially if the suggestion that X-Men are planned for DLC is true. I know they've caught slack for pushing DLC this early but if Capcom announced a X-Men/FF DLC pack was in the works they would probably win a lot of support back.

And sorry KCJ506 but you have to remember that the MVC games only happened because of the X-Men, the fans who have been with the series since the start have gotten used to their addition, that's why they're such a demand to see them return.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    And sorry KCJ506 but you have to remember that the MVC games only happened because of the X-Men, the fans who have been with the series since the start have gotten used to their addition, that's why they're such a demand to see them return.
    I'm not denying that. As a matter of fact, I think characters like Wolverine, Storm, Magneto and Deadpool should had been included. My point was that MVC2 came out almost 20 years ago and they're trying to sell this game to more than just older fans that played that as well as the previous Marvel/Capcom fighters beforehand. And honestly half the X-men probably aren't very known to the average modern Marvel fan. It's 2017 now and there are probably many teenagers that haven't seen the 90s X-men cartoon or played any of the X-men games that came out in the 90s and haven't had any exposure to X-men outside of their movies. Which were pretty much the Wolverine show and really didn't do a good job of giving the side characters any spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    I'm not denying that. As a matter of fact, I think characters like Wolverine, Storm, Magneto and Deadpool should had been included. My point was that MVC2 came out almost 20 years ago and they're trying to sell this game to more than just older fans that played that as well as the previous Marvel/Capcom fighters beforehand. And honestly half the X-men probably aren't very known to the average modern Marvel fan. It's 2017 now and there are probably many teenagers that haven't seen the 90s X-men cartoon or played any of the X-men games that came out in the 90s and haven't had any exposure to X-men outside of their movies. Which were pretty much the Wolverine show and really didn't do a good job of giving the side characters any spotlight.
    You keep focusing in on MvC2 (and 90s show) from nearly 20 years ago while ignoring that MvC3 only came out 6 years ago and all those characters have been used in films within the year and have been making appearances in other videogames within the past 3 years. No one is clamoring for the likes of Marrow and Spiral, whom themselves were obscure when included in MvC2. But Storm, Magneto, Phoenix, Deadpool, Wolverine, X-23? You cant tell anyone that modern fans dont know who they are. Its a bull excuse to rationalize an answer that doesnt make sense. And the primary userbase isnt going to be young teenagers who have been out of the loop for the past several years but gamers in their 20s and 30s that have been following and supporting this franchise. Capcom's fighters in recent years caters to EVO and that's the demographic of their target audience, not clueless kids who are unfamiliar with the characters
    Last edited by Havok83; 06-29-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You keep focusing in on MvC2 (and 90s show) from nearly 20 years ago while ignoring that MvC3 only came out 6 years ago and all those characters have been used in films within the year and have been making appearances in other videogames within the past 3 years. No one is clamoring for the likes of Marrow and Spiral, whom themselves were obscure when included in MvC2. But Storm, Magneto, Phoenix, Deadpool, Wolverine, X-23? You cant tell anyone that modern fans dont know who they are. Its a bull excuse to rationalize an answer that doesnt make sense. And the primary userbase isnt going to be young teenagers who have been out of the loop for the past several years but gamers in their 20s and 30s that have been following and supporting this franchise. Capcom's fighters in recent years caters to EVO and that's the demographic of their target audience, not clueless kids who are unfamiliar with the characters

I never stated nor even implied that modern fans didn't know who those particular X-men were.

I don't recall stating or even implying that modern fans didn't know who those particular X-men were.
    Your focus on MvC2 to prove a point seems to imply that. Its irrelevant to even bring that up if you arent trying to claim that

If anything X-23 is even more logical an addition today as she was in 2011 given her appearance in Logan... though being in a Fox movie probably lessens her chance. But yeah, whilst there are numerous characters like Silver Samurai and Spiral who I would not expect in any modern Marvel game, nevermind a MVC one, the most well known X-Men transcend any specific decade or time.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Your focus on MvC2 to prove a point seems to imply that. Its irrelevant to even bring that up if you arent trying to claim that

Please don't put words in my mouth. I focus on MVC2 since people treat it like it's epitome of fighting games and one of the complaints MVC3 often from casual fans was that it wasn't just simply the MVC2 roster rehashed all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    If anything X-23 is even more logical an addition today as she was in 2011 given her appearance in Logan... though being in a Fox movie probably lessens her chance. But yeah, whilst there are numerous characters like Silver Samurai and Spiral who I would not expect in any modern Marvel game, nevermind a MVC one, the most well known X-Men transcend any specific decade or time.
    Speaking of X-23, I remember when she was first revealed, people weren't exactly thrilled. People complained about her simply being a female Wolverine. It took awhile for people to warm up to her.
    Last edited by KCJ506; 06-29-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I focus on MVC2 since people treat it like it's epitome of fighting games and one of the complaints MVC3 often from casual fans was that it wasn't just simply the MVC2 roster rehashed all over again.
    But like you said, that was 20 years ago and has little to do with the staement that spurned discussion that we are talking about in this thread today

Fantastic Member

All I'm saying is there is some logic in them saying many modern super hero fans probably don't know the majority of X-men characters that were in past games, as sad as that is.

All I'm saying is there is some logic in them saying many modern super hero fans probably don't know the majority of X-men characters that were in past games, as sad as that is.
    But they still know them from Fox movies, at the very least.

Can we all just agree that this is a shitty situation?

I still can't believe Loki isn't even in. That's fucked up.