Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i dunno. giving books to Jean and Iceman, who have never had ongoings before doesn't strike me as 'safe'. i don't expect either to last more than twelve issues.

I would not say that but understand your point of view.

Basically some expected radical change in the mutant universe so much that some make the comparison with DC's Rebirth.

In other words lack of innovation.

If on the one hand it would have been good if they had risk a little more for another let's be frank sometimes the fans even contradict each other when some famous character is replaced many complain and want those already known and which already exist many stories with no space for growth. And they complain when they try to do something new with them .

Personally believe it is possible to do something new even with well-known and famous characters as long as you give them a new direction. After all facing the mutant brotherhood again is far from interesting if you do not find a way to put a pepper in the recipe. Perhaps more interesting would be to make them fight a Spiderman or Avenger villain. Or maybe putting some students with adults on missions to prepare them would create an interesting dynamic rather than just adults.

Perhaps the problem is we do not know exactly what the mission of the Gold and Blue teams only some clues but with time we will be better informed.

Even though I'm not an O5 fan, the fact that Magneto is the team mentor is something interesting.

The strange thing is that GX is basically the title with the most potential for innovation but the fact that they focused on students with useless powers in combat killed the expectations of several readers. Does not mean it's a bad plot only that this was to be the comic where they could risk more with new students and new villains but we were stuck with a sequel to Wolverine and the X-mens but without the cool students.

It is worth remembering that UA and USAvengers have some mutant characters and currently represent the changing in mutant universe so if you want marvel to keep innovating it would be good to support those titles.Even though it means nothing of Rogue in mutant comics for a while.

Well, the thing is that given that DisMarvel is not going to put any actual effort on the X-men until FOX sells the movie rights back.

BANNED

Knives :
    I would not say that but understand your point of view.

Basically some expected radical change in the mutant universe so much that some make the comparison with DC's Rebirth.

In other words lack of innovation.

If on the one hand it would have been good if they had risk a little more for another let's be frank sometimes the fans even contradict each other when some famous character is replaced many complain and want those already known and which already exist many stories with no space for growth. And they complain when they try to do something new with them .

Personally believe it is possible to do something new even with well-known and famous characters as long as you give them a new direction. After all facing the mutant brotherhood again is far from interesting if you do not find a way to put a pepper in the recipe. Perhaps more interesting would be to make them fight a Spiderman or Avenger villain. Or maybe putting some students with adults on missions to prepare them would create an interesting dynamic rather than just adults.

Perhaps the problem is we do not know exactly what the mission of the Gold and Blue teams only some clues but with time we will be better informed.

Even though I'm not an O5 fan, the fact that Magneto is the team mentor is something interesting.

The strange thing is that GX is basically the title with the most potential for innovation but the fact that they focused on students with useless powers in combat killed the expectations of several readers. Does not mean it's a bad plot only that this was to be the comic where they could risk more with new students and new villains but we were stuck with a sequel to Wolverine and the X-mens but without the cool students.

It is worth remembering that UA and USAvengers have some mutant characters and currently represent the changing in mutant universe so if you want marvel to keep innovating it would be good to support those titles.Even though it means nothing of Rogue in mutant comics for a while.
    Great post.

For me, it's just a case that most of my favorite X-Men aren't in any of these books.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

I'm interested in just about all the upcoming X-men titles. I'm not interested in Iceman though. Personally my problem with Blue and Gold is the they have inferior versions of 6 of the X-men in them. I liked the original versions of Wolverine, Beast, Iceman, Angel and(until Fraction's Uncanny) Cyclops. I would like to see Havok and Polaris also. I'm a big fan of Havok's and it would be nice to see him back in the X- books again.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    yep, the lineups are bad too. different is good, but not in all cases. how many people plan to read gen x? i give it 6 issues. eye boy? really?
    I hate this mindset. One of the best things Chris Claremont did for the X-Men is introduce the idea that the X-Men are bigger than any specific characters. There are people whose favorite X-Men lineup includes Havok, Dazzler, and Longshot. Judge a book by its story, not its lineup.

i want classic villains, i don't want hero V hero anymore.
    That was promised. This is going to be the X-Men being heroes. Now maybe it won't succeed, but it doesn't make sense to write it off before it happens and assume it's not going to be that.

The new Gen X isn't very different from Aaron's garbage in WATXM. I'd make the argument that is when the quality really dropped. Then we got the O5...

I'm not sure I would call it "safe". Giving solos to Jean and Iceman after Cyclops and Storm failed isn't safe. Generation X definitely isn't safe with that cast.
    It's just that the two flagships are basically the same we were already getting in terms of cast. And now in this "ressurection", the amount of fan-favorites left in limbo is probably even bigger than during the last relaunch.
    This is not a ressurection of the X-men franchise, it's a rebranding of EXM and ANXM while a lot of the other characters that people care about are nowhere to be seen.
    I think a lot of the disappointment is caused by some fans having their expectations of seeing their favorite characters in bigger roles broken again. There are TONS of fan favorites in limbo, characters that should get more focus. The X-men shouldn't be about white kids from the 60s. The franchise is all about embracing diversity and that's not what we're getting at all.

Safe isn't quite the word, boring maybe.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Safe is a little easier to define objectively (even if it's far from objective).

2 things:
    - first, yeah the characters are always the same ones and even the solo series involve guys from the team books. there is nothing exciting about this resurrexion stuff for people that are not hardcore fans of the main X-dudes (ok, maybe GenX appears more "new").
    - two, everybody already know that most of theses titles will be cancelled or rebooted after 1 year mostly: what can you expect from the X-books then ? definitely not too much character development and only short term stories.

I'm definitely not interested anymore in reading X-titles. I already stopped to read X-books between 95 and 2000, I can definitely wait few more years for better days ...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I agree with others here. It is not really that it is safe and more that it is just the same books we have been getting for the last 5 years rebranded with nothing really different. If anything the way people have been bailing on the X-line for a while now this is the opposite of safe and more them sticking their heads in the sand and not wanting to admit there is anything wrong by doing the same thing over and over and over.

I think there needs to be a change in direction and a new head brought in to run the X-side of things at marvel more than anything else.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    This and lot of pression from retailers/fans to get a more conservative marvel. ok that iceman and jean grey aren't so safe.

I never saw so much whining like what is happening with Marvel now, not even new 52. Seems like diversity push bottoms for a lot of people.

DCyou didn't ruined new 52, it is fallacy. It just didn't helped what already was ruined years ago. nobody expect c listers to have batman level sales
    Could have fooled me. We got folks calling for Batgirl's writer to be fired and her book has 40K sales.

DC You suffered from the backlash to what New 52 did to so many characters that didn't need to be changed like Jaime Reyes, Static & LOSH or pets took over with fan favorites removed like Cassandra Cain & Real Wally. Or late development of characters like Cyborg.

Rebirth to me is pandering to a certain demo. Folks are now happy certain characters that they don't like (John Stewart) as in the background where they belong.

Rebirth was done because too many times Dan and friends went to comic cons and everyone asked about MIA guy more than who was in the books. Mainly Wally West.

I do not view this X-Men Resurrection as being safe.

Safe to me is-

Uncanny X-Men- Scott, real Jean, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Psylocke & Banchee
    X-Men (Gold)- Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Bishop and maybe 2 more of random choice
    New X-Men-Surge's team with Hellions
    Generation X-Jubilee with all the members including SYNCH
    X-Factor-Havock's 90s team with a mixture of New Mutants since Sam & Cannonball are Avengers.
    Iceman solo
    X-23 solo

Do this for one year (12 issues) and then phase in the current incarnations

To me that would say I am trying to win you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I hate this mindset. One of the best things Chris Claremont did for the X-Men is introduce the idea that the X-Men are bigger than any specific characters. There are people whose favorite X-Men lineup includes Havok, Dazzler, and Longshot. Judge a book by its story, not its lineup.

That was promised. This is going to be the X-Men being heroes. Now maybe it won't succeed, but it doesn't make sense to write it off before it happens and assume it's not going to be that.
    i judge by line up. if there aren't characters i want to read about, why would i even pick the book up? Also, it's the same teams pretty much, so why wouldn't it be the same garbage?