Default A few random thoughts on re-reading comics

For many years I never re-read comic runs. Primarily, because I've never got much out of re-reading prose novels...just remember too much from first read to get much out of a second read.

But first time I read John Ostrander's Suicide Squad, did not get Janus Directive tie-ins. So there was a stretch of about 15 issues where deciphering the plot was like cracking the Enigma code. (But enjoyed read anyway.)

So a couple of years later, decided to get the Janus Directive tie-ins (it crossed over into comics like Checkmate, Manhunter, Firestorm, etc), and re-read the series.

The thing that surprised me was that I enjoyed re-reading ALL the run immensely, not just the Janus Directive section.

I actually enjoyed second read more than first. And was surprised how many obvious points, I'd missed from first read...it brought home to me that I actually find it harder to take in fine detail of a comic as opposed to fine detail of pure prose.

Since then have re-read a handful of favourite long comic runs, and have always to date...found second read at least as enjoyable as first read.

Anybody else get more out of re-reading comics than re-reading prose fiction??

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    For many years I never re-read comic runs. Primarily, because I've never got much out of re-reading prose novels...just remember too much from first read to get much out of a second read.

But first time I read John Ostrander's Suicide Squad, did not get Janus Directive tie-ins. So there was a stretch of about 15 issues where deciphering the plot was like cracking the Enigma code. (But enjoyed read anyway.)

So a couple of years later, decided to get the Janus Directive tie-ins (it crossed over into comics like Checkmate, Manhunter, Firestorm, etc), and re-read the series.

The thing that surprised me was that I enjoyed re-reading ALL the run immensely, not just the Janus Directive section.

I actually enjoyed second read more than first. And was surprised how many obvious points, I'd missed from first read...it brought home to me that I actually find it harder to take in fine detail of a comic as opposed to fine detail of pure prose.

Since then have re-read a handful of favourite long comic runs, and have always to date...found second read at least as enjoyable as first read.

Anybody else get more out of re-reading comics than re-reading prose fiction??
    depends. Some stuff I'v read 5-7 years ago and didn't impress me much even though they were one of the most acclaimed runs ever impress me much more now cause I matured since than (sort of) and some stuff just leaves me cold. Mostly humour stuff I think and more generic superhero books. I still enjoy a lot of superhero stuff but some fall flat. Also the Goon, I don't enjoy the Goon anymore because the intentionally low brow humour fails to impress me anymore.

Fantastic Member

A few years ago I pulled a lot of comics out from under the stairs and re read a them all . Enjoyed it very much , then sold the a bunch of them , just couldn't see putting them back under stairs for another 20 years . Kept a few series I really loved and made me a comic room . DSC00509.jpgDSC00510.jpg Only got 16 shorties now . Just under 2000 books .