Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If he's OK with F4's treatment, then he would be completely fine with X-Men.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think the X-Men were pretty far down on the totem pole for Stan back in the day. I've been reading the original run, and compared to what Stan (and Jack) did in FF or some of the other books, it seems to me as though they were phoning it in. Now, obviously when Claremont took over, things changed, and Stan always spoke highly of the concept afterwards. That said, he is a calculating businessman, so as others have said, I think he understands why Marvel has let them go in favor of their other properties.
    I doubt if he remembers his work on X-Men that well. His memory is supposed to be poor, and that's supported by an interview he gave a few years ago in which he claimed he didn't think of Magneto as a villain, and saw him as attempting to defend mutants against bigots.

Now, Kirby/Lee Magneto was always portrayed as an appalling megalomanical world conquering nutso; one of the craziest and least redeemable of the Silver Age villains It was Claremont who changed the character. Now, I don't think Lee was fibbing in any way. I suspect he was just familiar with the more recent characterization of Magneto and assumed that was how he must have written him.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 12-04-2016 at 03:53 PM.

So chances are he's too old to care or be bothered? Darn you Ike Perlmutter! Retire already!!!

Well he's made too much money and yeah he's too old to care what they are doing with X Men now, he wasn't even writing the comics when X Men was at it's most popular anyway despite creating the concept others fleshed it out so he's probably used to sitting back and raking in the cash from it's popularity. Imagine it's quite fun being that ideas guy who comes up with concepts and gets to sit back and enjoy endless bags of money, it worked for George Lucas lol.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Aren't Stan's favourites Spidey, Hulk and the FF?

Fantastic Member

Actually, it seems Stan doesn't discriminate and loves all the marvel properties. There's the story about him praising his latest X-men cameo (https://www.outerplaces.com/science-...-see-the-movie) at a Marvel/MCU panel and then telling people to watch x-men.

But it does seem he doesn't keep up with the comics. There's an article about an interview where he just heard Iceman was gay from the interviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    Well he's made too much money and yeah he's too old to care what they are doing with X Men now, he wasn't even writing the comics when X Men was at it's most popular anyway despite creating the concept others fleshed it out so he's probably used to sitting back and raking in the cash from it's popularity. Imagine it's quite fun being that ideas guy who comes up with concepts and gets to sit back and enjoy endless bags of money, it worked for George Lucas lol.
    lol, he doesn't have George Lucas type money!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    I doubt if he remembers his work on X-Men that well. His memory is supposed to be poor, and that's supported by an interview he gave a few years ago in which he claimed he didn't think of Magneto as a villain, and saw him as attempting to defend mutants against bigots.

Now, Kirby/Lee Magneto was always portrayed as an appalling megalomanical world conquering nutso; one of the craziest and least redeemable of the Silver Age villains It was Claremont who changed the character. Now, I don't think Lee was fibbing in any way. I suspect he was just familiar with the more recent characterization of Magneto and assumed that was how he must have written him.
    His memory was always poor. It's the reason why so many Marvel characters have alliterative names.

Peter Parker, Otto Octavious, Scott Summers, Warren Worthington III, Matt Murdock, Bruce Banner, Sue Storm, Reed Richards...

Made it easy for him to remember.