Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The KSD run made the character for me (and got me reading comics in general), while the Reed's run largely made me roll my eyes and confirm why I wasn't reading comics before.

It's what Captain Marvel is such a divisive character these days, she's like the poster child of 'the old' vs 'the new' in how comics are portrayed. Themes, Visuals and Narrative (hell even physical delivery or the lack there of.) there's a substantial shift when she takes up the CM title. The entire 'Marvel Now' line shared this shift and CM's first book was like a prototype for that shift.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Divisive? I hope the CW fallout does that for me. My problem has always been that her comics don't prompt me to feel strongly one way or the other.

KSD came closest to making me feel she's dynamic, though.

For my money Carol's always seemed extraordinarily dull.

Try this, describe the traits of the most generic superhero you could ever think of. For me I'd come up with someone that would pretty much be be Captain Marvel. I look at her and I think wow, she sure is a superhero. People keep describing Carol as Marvel's version of Wonder Woman but for me she is more like Superman but without the first mover advantage.

There is nothing that really makes her stand out. Between the powerset, the outfit, the name, she's basically the Platonic Ideal of The Superhero. And that holds absolutely no interest to me.

To be fair I'm the type of guy who likes the Hulk, Ghost Rider, the Punisher, Wolverine, and so forth the folks who exist in a superhero universe without actually being 'superheroes' so I'm willing to admit that I'd be mighty surprised if Carol ever gets written in a way that I would find interesting, but still she seems to embody all the reasons I don't find traditional superheroes interesting.
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 12-05-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Ptrvc, you might like her in Larry Hama stuff, which focuses more on her military career/history. She was hella fun in Wolverine -1, Ben Grimm and Logan, and the Age of Apocalypse Weapon X, but she's not a superhero in any of them, either.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post

Try this, describe the traits of the most generic superhero you could ever think of. For me I'd come up with someone that would pretty much be be Captain Marvel. I look at her and I think wow, she sure is a superhero. People keep describing Carol as Marvel's version of Wonder Woman but for me she is more like Superman but without the first mover advantage.

There is nothing that really makes her stand out. Between the powerset, the outfit, the name, she's basically the Platonic Ideal of The Superhero. And that holds absolutely no interest to me.

To be fair I'm the type of guy who likes the Hulk, Ghost Rider, the Punisher, Wolverine, and so forth the folks who exist in a superhero universe without actually being 'superheroes' so I'm willing to admit that I'd be mighty surprised if Carol ever gets written in a way that I would find interesting, but still she seems to embody all the reasons I don't find traditional superheroes interesting.
    I am probably one of the few people that hate her new costume, my favorite costume of hers was the Binary one she should have kept that costume even after losing her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post

Wow, nail on the head for me.

I just find her dull and boring. I've tried to like her so many times, but fail every time.

Let's be real for a second. Marvel lost KSD from their main writing pool at the same time they lost Fraction. If Marvel could have, they would probably have kept KSD on the book. Not only did she have a good handle on the character and her background, it was proving very popular. Usually I steer clear of conspiracy theories but I am convinced Marvel messed up this relationship during the Fraction/Inhumans fiasco. Not for the first time Marvel's creative talent realised that towing the line can end up detrimental to your income if you let it. The "nothing to see here" press releases of the time were unconvincing and had the distinct feel of an acrimonious split over money.

So, the way Marvel steered Carol since was not necessarily out of choice. I don't think the comics have been bad since, but they have not been grounded in the same way, and have lacked the heart. However, the choices made during the KSD run were very specific to KSD's personal experience, and would have been difficult to continue. It is never a good idea to bring on a new writer and say "just keep doing that" because that leads to dull repetition or worse, pastiche.