Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Godzilla View Post
    You know Universal had their Monsters crossing each other back in the '40s?
    And movies have come a long, long way since then. They even have minorities in them now!

*cough*

So again, is there any hint what the end game would be? Because Wolfman vs. Frankenstein doesn't have the same draw now that it did in the 40s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Godzilla View Post
    They'll do a Creature, he's one of the iconic Universal Monsters, and unlikel a good deal of the others they created him.
    I like The Creature from the Black Lagoon but it is kind of an odd fit for a universe based around gothic horror monsters. The Gill-Man is a 1950s sci-fi monster, though one of the more complex ones. He would fit better alongside characters from movies like Tarantula, The Deadly Mantis, The Mole People and the highly underrated Monster on the Campus.

Actually, come to think of it, if this whole Monsters Universe thing takes off it would be interesting to see some more obscure monsters get reworked and put into it somewhere down the line. The one I would most like to see: the Electric Man from Man Made Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yep. In all technicality, Universal was the first movie studio to ever introduce the idea of a shared universe.

As for whether we'll se a teamup? Who knows? Maybe they'll just oppose each other. Maybe some larger threat forces them to band together. Maybe humanity becomes aware of them and tries to destroy all monsters and the story begs the question of "With whom do we side?" Notice that the Mummy is set in modern times and she's not exactly trying to keep a low profile? There's no way the world won't know about what is about to happen in London.
    Well dracula untold was suppose to start the universe before they scraped it. That could be telling though, alot of these monsters could be worked as anti heroes. Only problem with that is we get action flicks instead of horror. Maybe tom cruises character and Dr jackly/Mr Hyde become monster hunters of some kind after mummy. Cruise is gonna have some kinda abilities after the mummy or hes really dorian Grey or another immortal character. Who knows at this point, im cautiously optimistic for the moment.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 12-06-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Well dracula untold was suppose to start the universe before they scraped it. That could be telling though, alot of these monsters could be worked as anti heroes. Only problem with that is we get action flicks instead of horror. Maybe tom cruises character and Dr jackly/Mr Hyde become monster hunters of some kind after mummy. Who knows at this point, im cautiously optimistic for the moment.
    Yeah, they need to be careful about not making these monster movies into action movies. That's why I like my idea of making it a "Humanity vs. Monsters" kind of thing. As has been said already: the best thing about most of the classic monster movies is that you feel sympathy for them. How better to show that then by super-sizing the classic "torches and pitchforks" theme of those classic movies? Who do we really root for? On the one hand, humanity has good reason to fear these monsters and want them dead. On the other hand, the monsters are themselves sympathetic to us, and we kind of want to see them survive. No one is completely wrong.

I think that could be a very interesting premise for the shared universe. Of course, I'm not so sure what kind of longevity such a universe would have if that's the ONLY story being told. How many "monster hunted by humans" stories can you really do?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    And movies have come a long, long way since then. They even have minorities in them now!

*cough*

So again, is there any hint what the end game would be? Because Wolfman vs. Frankenstein doesn't have the same draw now that it did in the 40s.

And Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Captain America meeting each other wasn't a draw until they all had there own movies and at least some of them were hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Well dracula untold was suppose to start the universe before they scraped it. That could be telling though, alot of these monsters could be worked as anti heroes. Only problem with that is we get action flicks instead of horror. Maybe tom cruises character and Dr jackly/Mr Hyde become monster hunters of some kind after mummy. Cruise is gonna have some kinda abilities after the mummy or hes really dorian Grey or another immortal character. Who knows at this point, im cautiously optimistic for the moment.
    It was never supposed to be the start. It was in development before as its own different thing from a different team. Then they said something like, oh, well, maybe it will be if it does well.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I would rather these be period pieces instead of taking place in the present. Hammer had a good run with Universal monsters but they never connected them up. I liked Peter Cushing as a recurring Victor Frankenstein character

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I would rather these be period pieces instead of taking place in the present. Hammer had a good run with Universal monsters but they never connected them up. I liked Peter Cushing as a recurring Victor Frankenstein character
    I thought of that too...buuuuuut Im oddly ok going this route

I need a fake news piece about a Wolfman terrorizing the citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Wolfman. Rinse and repeat. How many freakin' regurgitations must we wade through to get back to the Black Lagoon?

I like Sofia Boutella, but this movie doesn't interest me.
    http://www.movienewsguide.com/avatar...-titanic/84163

Knowing Hollywood, it's likely the Avatar holdups that are tangentially holding up Creature. Underwater CGI is a big issue, you don't want to put something out that looks vastly inferior when you can just wait and acquire the people who perfected the system for FOX.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    why the Lagoon gotta be BLACK???
    because "Blue Lagoon" doesn't sound scary! ;-)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I like The Creature from the Black Lagoon but it is kind of an odd fit for a universe based around gothic horror monsters. The Gill-Man is a 1950s sci-fi monster, though one of the more complex ones. He would fit better alongside characters from movies like Tarantula, The Deadly Mantis, The Mole People and the highly underrated Monster on the Campus.

Actually, come to think of it, if this whole Monsters Universe thing takes off it would be interesting to see some more obscure monsters get reworked and put into it somewhere down the line. The one I would most like to see: the Electric Man from Man Made Monster.
    ah, I have to admit that I would be willing to see a remake of "the Deadly Mantis".. that was one of my favorite MST3k episodes. "Just think of the kind of force it takes to destroy a quonset hut!"

Keeeeeeeeeeen though I'm not a Monster movie or horror movie person.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    because "Blue Lagoon" doesn't sound scary! ;-)

Mighty Member

LOL. nicely done.