Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel's premiere 'minority' superheroes?

Who do you think are Marvel's premiere 'minority' superheroes?

I'm looking for Marvel's premiere:

* Black
    * Latino
    * Asian
    * Middle Eastern
    * LGBTQ
    * Native American

characters.

I'm counting 'premiere' as meeting at least 3 of the following criteria:

* has had solo series
    * has been part of a big name Marvel superhero team for more then a single storyline
    * has been portrayed in live action TV or movie
    * has been on an animated marvel cartoon

And here is the kicker...this one is non-negotiable :

* They can NOT be an X-men character (they are known for diversity, I'm interested in the rest of the Marvel U).
    Last edited by edpower; 01-03-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Well Black Panther is easily black category

Unless u are separating african from black.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

Hmm, going by your rules...

Black Panther

Robbie Reyes/Sam Alexander

Shang Chi

Ms Marvel (Kahn)

Without using X-men characters I'm blanking right now on LGBT and NA heroes that fit the criteria...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Following your rules

Black
    Black Panther
    Storm
    War Machine
    Luke Cage

Latino
    Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Hmm, going by your rules...

Black Panther

Robbie Reyes/Sam Alexander

Shang Chi

Ms Marvel (Kahn)

Without using X-men characters I'm blanking right now on LGBT and NA heroes that fit the criteria...
    Without X-Men, there's still Hulkling and Wiccan from Young Avengers and Al Ewing's New Avengers for LGBT heroes and for Native American heroes . . . there's Red Wolf, at least if we're talking most recently promoted Native American heroes.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Just to clarify because I'll have to think about this some more (and, sadly, because I don't think anyone qualifies), Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) probably does not qualify as a Middle Eastern character. She's absolutely Marvel's premiere muslim character, but she's Asian (Pakistani), not Middle Eastern. She obviously hasn't appeared in any movies, though. I think she was in Ultimate Spider-Man? I could be wrong.

She may very well qualify as Marvel's premiere Asian character, though, unless we're limiting it to East-Asian or East-Asian-American characters. In that case, there's not a lot of good choices. Honestly, the movie/tv requirement pretty much limits you to Daisy Johnson, I would think. Shang-Chi and Amadeus Cho are the other big candidates if they appeared in any animated shows.

Robby Reyes is probably the best candidate for Latino. Either T'Challa, James Rhoades, or Sam Wilson are the best candidates for black characters, although Luke Cage is up there.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Without X-Men, there's still Hulkling and Wiccan from Young Avengers and Al Ewing's New Avengers for LGBT heroes and for Native American heroes . . . there's Red Wolf, at least if we're talking most recently promoted Native American heroes.
    Oh I'm aware of them but I'm not sure they fit the OP's rules. Teddy and Billy don't have a solo. Pod doesn't have a solo or other media. I'm not sure if Red Wolf appeared in other media although he has a solo.

I think Northstar fits for LGBT. I'm not sure about Thunderbird. Maybe Dani Moonstar? But no X-men, so...

America Chavez counts for both Latin-American and LGBT+, and she is getting a solo series, so she meets two of the criteria at least... (She was in the Lego Avengers and Avengers Academy games, if that helps...)
    Last edited by Valamist; 01-03-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

She has potential. I would say keep an eye on her rather than that she qualifies at this point.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Is America Chavez Marvel's fist LGBTQ character to have a solo series? If so, she could become Marvel's premiere minority for that AND being Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Is America Chavez Marvel's fist LGBTQ character to have a solo series?
    Mystique, Loki, Daken, Angela... Though some of these barely have their sexualities explored...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Mystique, Loki, Daken, Angela... Though some of these barely have their sexualities explored...
    Didn't Northstar have a mini-series in the 90's too? But yes, all of these characters should count as they aren't straightn. Btw Iceman who is getting his own series along with America is LGBTQ+ too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Just to clarify because I'll have to think about this some more (and, sadly, because I don't think anyone qualifies), Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) probably does not qualify as a Middle Eastern character. She's absolutely Marvel's premiere muslim character, but she's Asian (Pakistani), not Middle Eastern. She obviously hasn't appeared in any movies, though. I think she was in Ultimate Spider-Man? I could be wrong.

She may very well qualify as Marvel's premiere Asian character, though, unless we're limiting it to East-Asian or East-Asian-American characters. In that case, there's not a lot of good choices. Honestly, the movie/tv requirement pretty much limits you to Daisy Johnson, I would think. Shang-Chi and Amadeus Cho are the other big candidates if they appeared in any animated shows.

Robby Reyes is probably the best candidate for Latino. Either T'Challa, James Rhoades, or Sam Wilson are the best candidates for black characters, although Luke Cage is up there.
    I think the upcoming movie will raise Mantis's profile a lot so she will be Marvel's premiere East/South East Asian character.

Native American characters are Red Wolf, Dani Moonstar/Mirage (who will appear in the upcoming The New Mutants film) and the brothers Thunderbird I and Warpath.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's interesting that the first three are villains/anti-heroes. And Angela seems cut from a similar cloth (although I don't know too much about her).
    Miss America will be Marvel's first unabashedly heroic LGBTQ solo lead.