Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Five years wasted

Anyone else feel like they've just wasted their time and money the last five years following the New 52? I followed Superman and now he's dead. I started following Wonder Woman a few years back hoping to collect the entire Azzarello run and now there's no point. They killed the kid and now we're being told none of it ever happened anyway. Batman and Green Lantern seem to be the only people who get to keep their history (again). So this thread is just for those who followed the New 52 and now feel they got cheated to just go ahead and vent.
    Assassinate Putin!

Amazing Member

The only nu52 title i collected was aquaman and since rebirth is simply a continuation of nu52, i don't feel like i have wasted my time at all. But i can see that being the case with superman and wonderwoman whose nu52 timeline are almost completely wiped.

Did you have fun reading those stories? If answer is yes then it wasn't a waste. Why does everything have to 'matter'? Plus, Rebirth is a continuation of New 52, mostly.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Anyone else feel like they've just wasted their time and money the last five years following the New 52? I followed Superman and now he's dead. I started following Wonder Woman a few years back hoping to collect the entire Azzarello run and now there's no point. They killed the kid and now we're being told none of it ever happened anyway. Batman and Green Lantern seem to be the only people who get to keep their history (again). So this thread is just for those who followed the New 52 and now feel they got cheated to just go ahead and vent.
    I used to, and still do from time to time, but I still have the books.

And while I'd prefer new stories featuring Superman, I can still go back to those books and imagine them as part of the Multiverse that DC rarely, if ever, wants to capitalize on. But if one thing aggravates me more than anything else, though, it's that the point of lameco's post, which astutely points out that the New 52 universe is still here, makes it feel like the New 52 Superman and Wonder Woman fans were singled out, even though common sense suggests that isn't the case at all.

But the upside is that I don't have to waste anymore of my money on DC's books.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

As has been said (and will be said again), as long as you enjoyed the comics, how can they be ruined or the time have been wasted?

Because the stories moved on? Because reality changed or there's some continuity disagreement between issue x and issue y, comic a and comic b?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

For the most part I personally had fun reading the comics I bought in the New52 so...No. I don't feel like I've wasted five years. Of course, I can only speak for myself.

Rebirth is still the same continuity as the New 52. There are a few tweaks to it, due to timeline changes...but we are still in the same continuity. Everything that happened in the New 52 still happened.

I only came on board with DC starting with the New 52. I feel a little buyers remorse (mainly because I bought every single series from the entire New 52--no exaggeration) but overall I'm okay with things. My pull list has shrunk quite a lot, but that's again due to the buyers remorse of buying every single title for five years.

They either are good stories or they never were in the first place. Nu52 continuity was not forever gonna have priority over all that came before.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

DCnU had its share of reality alterations on the fly, as it went along, anyway. Retcons and in-story alterations. Stormwatch revised itself heavily during Starlin's run. Other titles added or removed or repurposed characters and continuity with talent shifts or different marketing approaches.

The Multiversity and Convergence both should give credence to "it all counts, especially if you liked it."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I don't think the five years were as much a waste so much as just...flawed.

The good that came out of the New 52 for certain characters stuck around after Rebirth, so it wasn't completely a waste of time, while other properties were course-corrected into being a more classic, appealing, state from where they were in the New 52.

DC isn't completely throwing out the New 52, they're just trying to better reconcile it with the past and the things fans miss, essentially "fixing" what it may have broken or not handled as well.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The Morrison Action Comics stuff, and some of those Lobdell/Rocafort Superman issues are just so fantastic.

Azzarello's Wonder Woman is superb and one of the best mainstream books DC has done in some time.

If they wanted to dispose of it for something more nostalgic, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it and appreciate some of the best DC has had to offer in a long time.

BANNED

Not really, we got the good stories and all that.
    What's going to grind my wheels are pretty much the responses from the people who are going to go along the lines of: "This is great, much better than that [Insert insult] New 52! Glad we all agree!" Then get really upset if you disagree with them

Five years reading bad comics that don't matter anymore beats five years doing a LOT of other things. Cue old "bad day fishing beats good day working" joke.

I enjoyed what I read, so nothing wasted for me. I'm enjoying what I'm reading now. So the same applies.

After the rebirth retroboots, the New 52 was not wasted bec they were also fun but maybe post Rebirth will be better. New 52 superman RIP. Can maybe just imagine the Rebirth superman as a new superhero tv show or reboot, and the older superman tv shows were also good and worth remembering. Personally, I remember many versions of Superman in comic books : golden age superman (later married with no kid), bronze age superman (single), post coie John Byrne superman (later married with no kid), new 52 superman (single), Rebirth superman who is married with a kid, etc. and I do not believe I am just wasting my precious and dying memory cells. During the bronze age, I used to wonder if superman was a 40 year old virgin since sex was seldom mentioned in bronze age comic books. I have fond memories of many superman cartoons, old superman movies, superboy tv show, Lois and Clark tv show, Smallville tv show, current superman movies, etc. even though they all have different continuities. I used to participate in forums for the Smallville tv show and have great shipper wars bec of Lana vs Lois. Those old shipper wars were fun while they lasted.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 12-05-2016 at 01:14 PM.