Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That was the lowest point for Superman that I've read, and I've been reading for almost "ever". I only remember hating Chuck Austen's stuff as much as Grounded, for different but similar reasons. It almost crippled the character for me, especially since SUPERMAN RETURNS had bored me to the point of apathy.

Flashpoint saved Superman.
    Man of Steel by Byrne had already saved Superman.
    Much like Perez saved Wonder Woman.
    And Miller saved Batman (not that he really needed much saving).

What really hurt DC was flushing that all out instead of building on it.

It's become too easy for them to just scrap things and start over, instead of righting a ship.
    Continuity-editing has become a crutch.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-05-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    So Rebirth was to expand upon the 5 years by adding 10 more years which was supposed to give us 15 years of continuity, but 5 years got erased and the other 10 years are not the Pre-Flashpoint stuff since that would totally contradict what is happening now.

So bringing Wally out of the Speedforce created a completely new universe then?
    To some of us, DC is being less-than-candid about all this "missing ten years" stuff and if/how/when any of it may (or may not) actually be brought back.
    Supposedly, we're in the middle of a two year (or so?) period where a lot of this will continue to unfold, but they either aren't telling us or haven't figured out themselves how EXACTLY the supposedly "missing years" will combine with what we had so far under the New 52/DCYou.
    (It almost seems as if they're trying to string along both the pre-Flashpoint camps as well as the post-Flashpoint fans for as long as possible without positively alienating either side.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    To some of us, DC is being less-than-candid about all this "missing ten years" stuff and if/how/when any of it may (or may not) actually be brought back.
    Supposedly, we're in the middle of a two year (or so?) period where a lot of this will continue to unfold, but they either aren't telling us or haven't figured out themselves how EXACTLY the supposedly "missing years" will combine with what we had so far under the New 52/DCYou.
    (It almost seems as if they're trying to string along both the pre-Flashpoint camps as well as the post-Flashpoint fans for as long as possible without positively alienating either side.)
    It's almost like a game of attrition to see who will be the remaining audience when Action Comics #1000 comes out.

"Walking "to be like puny humans" and bullying every journalist and illegal "alien" he meets along the way.

If anyone needed Flashpoint, it was Superman."

Meh, he wasn't more death, than New 52 Superman after the "Truht" storyarc hit. He really didn't need a reboot and he didn't need one back in 1986 either, but they did it. If he could survived Austen, he could survived Grounded.

Incredible Member

As long as Aquaman isn't going to revert, I'm good. His current set up and continuity is just the best ever.
    Agreed. He has been the most consistently well written character since The New 52 except for Batman maybe. I never found myself enjoying Aquaman as much as I'm doing right now, it seems that they finally know how to write the character well.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    As has been said (and will be said again), as long as you enjoyed the comics, how can they be ruined or the time have been wasted?

Because the stories moved on? Because reality changed or there's some continuity disagreement between issue x and issue y, comic a and comic b?
    "DC won't go to your house burn those comics, so those stories happened". crappy answer but saw this thing everywhere when people complained about the reboot;

**the important is like the stories. on comics retcons/reboots happen every year
    Last edited by spirit2011; 12-05-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

So, the vast majority of the New 52 is still unchanged, and, while the previous incarnations of Superman & Wonder Woman have been replaced with more classic versions, their stories have still not be erased from continuity.

On the other hand, the New 52 actually erased the cumulative continuity of 75 years of comics with the exceptions of Batman & Green Lantern.

Yet, somehow, you think you wasted 5 years?
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 12-05-2016 at 07:52 PM.

BANNED

5 years wasted that we are never getting back. And all i can muster is Good Riddance.

Five Years Wasted, sounds like a good title for a Bill and Ted movie.

Everything ends, a meal, relationships, jobs, life. Enjoy the things that bring you pleasure while you can. Like the McRib.
    I have no beef with Vegans

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Anyone else feel like they've just wasted their time and money the last five years following the New 52? I followed Superman and now he's dead. I started following Wonder Woman a few years back hoping to collect the entire Azzarello run and now there's no point.
    The Azzarello run is a kickass story and one of the best Wonder Woman runs ever, and it is entirely self-contained. There is absolutely no reason not to still get it.
    It's basically an Elseworld now, like Kingdom Come or any sufficiently old DCU story.

Just don't read the follow-up drivel by the Finches (which doesn't actually follow up and outright contradicts the ending of Azzarello's run anyway) and the kid is just fine.

Wasted? Nah. It's because of the New 52 that I discovered a lot of great indie books. If I hadn't quit on DC back then, I never would've found em.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Man of Steel by Byrne had already saved Superman.
    Much like Perez saved Wonder Woman.
    And Miller saved Batman (not that he really needed much saving).

What really hurt DC was flushing that all out instead of building on it.

It's become too easy for them to just scrap things and start over, instead of righting a ship.
    Continuity-editing has become a crutch.
    What? That was 1986, this is 2016 (well that was 2011). A lot changes.

Miller's Batman is the only one that holds up, and it's still used.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    So Rebirth was to expand upon the 5 years by adding 10 more years which was supposed to give us 15 years of continuity, but 5 years got erased and the other 10 years are not the Pre-Flashpoint stuff since that would totally contradict what is happening now.

So bringing Wally out of the Speedforce created a completely new universe then?
    No, because the five years still happened. Rebirth has erased nothing; at most, it's rendered some of it moot.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Well those 5 years brought me into reading comics as it was daunting before and made me respect many DC characters I never cared for, Aquaman for example.

What? That was 1986, this is 2016 (well that was 2011). A lot changes.

Miller's Batman is the only one that holds up, and it's still used.
    Yeah, they needed saving again but it wasn't the first time they'd been saved.
    And it probably won't be the last.