Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    No, because the five years still happened. Rebirth has erased nothing; at most, it's rendered some of it moot.
    Yeah, I think the only New52 stories that's safe to say's been written out so far is the Liefeld stuff.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Azz's run was amazing. But it deviated too far and needs to be reset if we are going back to the old continuity. Think of it like a really long Elseworlds book. It was virtually 100% self contained anyway.

Batman and Green Lantern didn't change. They just continued. We had a new origin but we've had hundreds of those before. All the other stories are perfectly relevant (at least in Snyder's and Tomasi's runs (less so with the other stuff)).

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Azz's run was amazing. But it deviated too far and needs to be reset if we are going back to the old continuity. Think of it like a really long Elseworlds book. It was virtually 100% self contained anyway.
    Wonder Woman felt more like a Vertigo book and reads better in that context, in my opinion.
    It was probably more Vertigo-feeling than many of the actual Dark titles.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I don't think it was a wast of time, there is something to remember and worth reading but N52 has been a catastrophe for too many characters.

Status of some important characters at the end of N52:

1) Superman: to be fixed (I'm enjoyng both Rebirth titles)
    2) Wonder Woman: messy
    3) Titans: A disaster, every member must be fixed, history and legacy ruined
    4) Young Justice boys: Totally ruined

Aquaman, Batman and Green Lantern are titles that are less affected by the N52
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 12-06-2016 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I don't think it was a wast of time, there is something to remember and worth reading but N52 has been a catastrophe for too many characters.

Status of some important characters at the end of N52:

1) Superman: to be fixed (I'm enjoyng both Rebirth titles)
    2) Wonder Woman: messy
    3) Titans: A disaster, every member must be fixed, history and legacy ruined
    4) Young Justice boys: Totally ruined

Aquaman, Batman and Green Lantern are titles that are less affected by the N52
    Both Superman and Wonder Woman had been vast improvements over where they ended before Flashpoint.
    Wonder Woman less so, but that whole selfcontained reboot she got before Flashpoint was a mess.
    Superman before Flashpoint was (and I will always refer to him as such rather than Superdad) an emo fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    What? That was 1986, this is 2016 (well that was 2011). A lot changes.

Miller's Batman is the only one that holds up, and it's still used.
    I take it you haven't bothered to read Snyder's (overblown) "Zero Year" Batman story?
    It doesn't seem very easy to have both "Zero Year" and Miller's "Year One" BOTH be canon at the same time.

About what the OP said, i understand why he feel that way regarding the decissions in the Superman line, but for the rest of the DC Universe, sorry i think that is pure rubbish. Things are mostly the same.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I take it you haven't bothered to read Snyder's (overblown) "Zero Year" Batman story?
    It doesn't seem very easy to have both "Zero Year" and Miller's "Year One" BOTH be canon at the same time.
    Nope, I started to read Synder's run digitally but gave up. I think he's great at making comics, just not the kind of Batman comics that I enjoy. I'm reading Tom King's BATMAN now and dig it, I'd like to see what he would do with a newer origin but alas. I think King walks this really fine line between the superheroic globetrotting/James Bond influenced Batman and the grim Gothic dude that people tend to be into. I think it works really well. A mixture of the overblown intensity of Synder and the Denny O'Neil stuff that influenced Morrison.

Zero Year not really worth it, in your opinion?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Yeah, I think the only New52 stories that's safe to say's been written out so far is the Liefeld stuff.
    …The what?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

I don't think it was a waste. I only read Batman and Aquaman (i also have Animal Man and Justice League trades but i couldn't get to them yet) and they were good. Aquaman had his best run under Geoff Johns's pen. Many people changed their minds about Aquaman, they considered him ''Cool'' I like Aquaman so this alone makes The New 52 great for me. I heard that Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run was good too so i will probably grab the deluxe at some point. As many people before me said if you enjoyed the stories, it's never a waste. The Contunity is fine, it makes things fun but don't hang up on that too much. Comics continuity is a messy continuity with many reboot, retcons and soft reboots and stuff... There are stories like The Dark Knight Returns for example, it's out of continuity but redefined the Batman and almost everyone loves and enjoys such a great comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    …The what?
    Exactly.

All stories are imaginary stories and they all have some value.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't think we're losing out on much. The Titans were a disaster in the New 52 so who even cares about ditching that. Batman, Green Lantern and Aquaman are untouched. Whenever they get around to doing something with Shazam I imagine it will be a continuation of what Johns did. The new kids he introduced were shown in one of the Rebirth images. Flash is basically the same except Wally's back.

Really the only ones who are feeling the changes are Superman, Wonder Woman and the JSA/Earth-2. Regardless of how much potential their initial setups may have had, they immediately shat the bed once the first creators left so there wasn't much left to mourn. And in the cases of Superman and Wonder Woman, it's not like they're returning to exactly how things were pre-Flashpoint either. Superdad has elements that don't really fit with Byrne/post-Crisis Superman, and Wonder Woman's dating a younger Steve and hasn't even met the Bana Amazons yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Zero Year not really worth it, in your opinion?
    I wouldn't quite put it that way.
    Artwork was great, and parts of the story were interesting.
    But Snyder need an editor who would make him write a tighter story for some sections.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think the five years were as much a waste so much as just...flawed.

The good that came out of the New 52 for certain characters stuck around after Rebirth, so it wasn't completely a waste of time, while other properties were course-corrected into being a more classic, appealing, state from where they were in the New 52.

DC isn't completely throwing out the New 52, they're just trying to better reconcile it with the past and the things fans miss, essentially "fixing" what it may have broken or not handled as well.
    Whoa Frontier you're a mod now? Man really have been away for a while lol
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.