• Thor: Ragnorak

0 0%
  • Justice League

18 24.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yeah 875 MILLION dollars is a massive failure :[
    BvS didn't meet all expectations granted, but it did come close. Like with MOS, the place BvS didn't perform as well as it should or as well as other comic book movies, was overseas. Gotta do something to get non-US markets more invested.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    Look at the budget. Study only gets roughly 50% from domestic sales and 30% from foreign sales.

It barely made profit and it was supposed to make 1 billion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    I've read that it made a 100+ million profit.
    I read that too. Some guy who took all the numbers and attempted to calculate how much the film made. He added the advertising budget, but neglected to include the product placement and sponsorship gross for BvS. MOS for example made $175 million on product placement and sponsorships alone. This on a $225 million budget. I haven't seen the Forbes report for BvS's product placement yet, but I imagine much of the budget was recouped on that alone. Everything else would be profit.

If these tent pole, franchise films weren't turning huge profits, studios wouldn't make them. Also, WB reportedly made a killing on merchandise sales last year. $4.5 billion dollars worth.
    https://twitter.com/twxcorp/status/829325807772368896

Astonishing Member

Are we still arguing BvS didnt make money? It was clearly financially successful. Maybe not whay Wb was hoping given the scale but still enough any studio would be more then happy.

All things being equal, and that isnt the case, Spider-Man is clearly the biggest property on the block. The reason ASM2 was considered a failure wasn't because it didn't recoup its losses, (although technically it is probably only just breaking even now) but because Sony were expecting it to be one of the biggest movies ever. Spider-Man has the potential to shock us all, and remind us why it was the main player in the field for so long.

Incredible Member

My prediction (numbers are estimates, ofc):

1. Justice League (1 billion or more): If the movie is better than BvS (which was terrible IMO), then crossing the 1 billion mark should be easy for this one.
    2. Spider-Man: Homecoming (700 - 900 million): Now that Spider-Man is part of the Marvel shared Universe, it would seem there is a renewed interest in the property. Add to that the fact that this is finally Marvel making the movie AND that Spider-Man movies tend to do well in general, then Homecoming should do very well.
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (700 million): I think GotG2 might have a hard time topping the first GotG, if only because the first was such a great movie.
    4. Thor: Ragnorak (600 million): Adding Hulk to the cast seems like the right move, and the director has promised a bit of a different movie from the traditional Marvel template. Anything north of 500 million should be considered a win, when you consider the fact that Thor has been the weakest of Marvel's "trinity".
    5. Logan (550 million).
    6. Wonder Woman (500 million): I am a bit on the fence on this one. It seems interesting, but also a bit derivative (in that it looks a bit too close to the first Captain America). I think anything less than 300 million would be seen as a major failure, but the movie has to be terrible not to get 500 or more.
    7. Lego Batman Movie (300 million)

Extraordinary Member

I'll go for GOTG. It has a crazy following and could be amazing.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    All things being equal, and that isnt the case, Spider-Man is clearly the biggest property on the block. The reason ASM2 was considered a failure wasn't because it didn't recoup its losses, (although technically it is probably only just breaking even now) but because Sony were expecting it to be one of the biggest movies ever. Spider-Man has the potential to shock us all, and remind us why it was the main player in the field for so long.
    TASM 2 turned a profit, but Amy Pascal (Sony's Executive) told investors it would be a billion dollar movie. The highest grossing Spidey film is still SM3 with $890 million, but TASM 2 is the lowest grossing Spidey with $702 million. While BvS fell short by $125 million, TASM 2 fell short by $300 million. Deal with Marvel or not, Sony hack or not, TPTB were going to reboot Spider-Man either way after TASM 2 underperformed. Big bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Again. He did not factor in how much the film made on product placements, advertising and sponsorships. When calculating how much a film makes, you don't normally include the advertising budget or the product placement revenue. Success is measured in total dollars the film made on it's own.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 03-26-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I think Guardians of the Galaxy 2. The teaser trailer had 81 million views in 24 hours and the reaction on social media has been mostly positive. It seems to be generating a lot of Hype. $1 Billion
    I'm abit curious where did you get the 81 million views?
    I took a look at guardians of the galaxy 2 teaser trailer on youtube and saw only 16 million views on that one 3 months ago. While I saw that Justice League already had 10 million views in 23 hour.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Again. He did not factor in how much the film made on product placements, advertising and sponsorships. When calculating how much a film makes, you don't normally include the advertising budget or the product placement revenue. Success is measured in total dollars the film made on it's own.
    Plus merchandising?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Are we still arguing BvS didnt make money? It was clearly financially successful. Maybe not whay Wb was hoping given the scale but still enough any studio would be more then happy.
    Not with all the promotional and merchandise that got tossed out.

There is an issue when toys from Dr Strange, CA Civil War, TMNT, Ghost Busters, Power Rangers, Star Wars TFA & R1 & even Kong are still selling off the shelves but Batman vs Superman are there in bulk.

And this has been an issue with DC for years. Aside from Suicide Squad (mainly Harley & Will Smith toys) & DC Superhero Girls-no kid wants those toys.

They put too much into that for it to under perform and now they are trying to rush out a trailer before Spiderman Homecoming ads start up and the beast know as Star Wars says hello and buries every film.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

There is an issue when toys from Dr Strange, CA Civil War, TMNT, Ghost Busters, Power Rangers, Star Wars TFA & R1 & even Kong are still selling off the shelves but Batman vs Superman are there in bulk.

And this has been an issue with DC for years. Aside from Suicide Squad (mainly Harley & Will Smith toys) & DC Superhero Girls-no kid wants those toys.

They put too much into that for it to under perform and now they are trying to rush out a trailer before Spiderman Homecoming ads start up and the beast know as Star Wars says hello and buries every film.
    Uhm, bvs made $100mil without product placement and merchandising money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I think his point was that it lost significant money on merchandising, so that $100 million should be decreased substantially.

I think the argument is BS, because merchandising accounting ledgers are, to the best of my knowledge, entirely non-public. I know of no such reliable information in the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Did you miss the Turkish Airlines ads featuring Bruce Wayne and Diana on a Turkish Airlines plane towards the movie's climax?

ETA: Also the movie opens with basically a Jeep commercial.
    Last edited by Coal Tiger; 03-26-2017 at 06:23 PM.

captain underpants solos the others.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

No one wanted BvS toys? Can't find the article but I read BvS was mentioned as one of the driving forces behind the toy industries sales for 2016, for that year only Finding Dory and Trolls sold more toys. Suicide Squad didn't really have toys aimed at kids so I don't know why you think it would sell more than BvS.