19 25.33%
  • Thor: Ragnorak

0 0%
  • Justice League

18 24.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I think his point was that it lost significant money on merchandising, so that $100 million should be decreased substantially.

I think the argument is BS, because merchandising accounting ledgers are, to the best of my knowledge, entirely non-public. I know of no such reliable information in the public domain.
    IIRC BVS made tons of money from merchandising.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    IIRC BVS made tons of money from merchandising.
    And your proof of that can be found at....

(keeping in mind that "made tons of money" = documented evidence that $ earned minus $ spent = a substantially positive number)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

This thread is about 2017 movies. Why are we discussing how much a year old movie made in all areas?

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Just going off hunches and pure guesses, here's what I'm thinking for now, worldwide figures:

1. Guardians 2 - $900 million - $1 billion (easily…)
    2. Justice League - $900 million - $950 million (hoping it does north of a billion, but it has a lot of convincing to do)
    3. Spiderman: Homecoming - $800 million - $875 million (I have a feeling this movie will underwhelm, but the MCU has a solid legion of followers)
    4 (Tied). Wonder Woman & Thor: Ragnarok - $650 million - $750 million (Wonder Woman SHOULD do well if it's watchable for the general audience. Thor has been a weak MCU title so far. Hulk team up could change things)
    5. Logan - $610 million (currently at $566 million going into its 4th week)
    6. Lego Batman Movie - $310 million (currently at $292 million going into its 7th week)

I'm shocked Lego Batman hasn't pulled north of $350 million by now. Not sure what happened there?

Anyway, I'm a fan of both the MCU and DCEU. I never want a comic film to fail unless for serious personal reasons (which I haven't had, yet).
    I honestly can't stand the fanboy wars that have been erupting between MCU fanboys and DCEU fanboys. We should all root for our comicbook films, in my opinion. Unless something is pure trash (and many can make good arguments the DCEU is borderline trash overall), but I don't think a reboot of an extended universe 3 films in is the right call. Let's watch this unfold and hope for the best. The MCU has several years of a head start and is 11 movies ahead. It's not a real fair comparison if you think of it in those terms as well. It shouldn't be a versus argument, but relative comparisons, I think.

It's going to be very interesting to come back to this thread on December 31st and see where these movies ended.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 03-28-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    And your proof of that can be found at....

(keeping in mind that "made tons of money" = documented evidence that $ earned minus $ spent = a substantially positive number)
    You do know when Warner license out bvs merchandise and toys the licensee need to pay a fee right? In addition, they would also earn from every dollar that these company sells right? The only money spent was those that were produced by D.C. entertainment itself and once sold to comic book stores, it's considered sold with no refund. In the link below you can see that BVS has got one of the most number of licenses. Losing perhaps only to avengers.
    http://www.giftsanddec.com/article/5...man-v-superman

Thor: Ragnorak is Marvel/Disney's most viewed trailer EVER in the first 24 hours. People are sleeping on this movie. We got Hulk, Taika Waititi who is a good director so good chance of positive reception, and genuine hype building up. This could make over 800 million. I think this could be the second highest grossing superhero movie of the year after Guardians and possibly make even more than Spidey and JL

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    You do know when Warner license out bvs merchandise and toys the licensee need to pay a fee right? In addition, they would also earn from every dollar that these company sells right? The only money spent was those that were produced by D.C. entertainment itself and once sold to comic book stores, it's considered sold with no refund. In the link below you can see that BVS has got one of the most number of licenses. Losing perhaps only to avengers.
    http://www.giftsanddec.com/article/5...man-v-superman
    Not arguing against DC making alot off merchandise, but go to a toy store they still have a **** ton of BvS toys that havent sold. Thats gonna make the companys who put money into those licensed toys think twice next time around. so even if it didnt cost DC anything its gonna have an effect on them.The blaxk panther mask and glove was toys r us hottest selling toy when civil war came out. They couldnt keep it in stock.

Im curious how spiderman homecoming does with merchandise, spiderman makes more in merchandise sells then the others combined. There hasnt really been much movie tie in merch casue marvel had nothing to do with the movies before but still have merchandise . So wonder if they sell Toys tied into the movie or just keep selling theyre spiderman stuff as usual.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 04-17-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Sure as hell won't be a DC movie.
    can i borrow your crystal ball? or are you just marvel biased?

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I see there are two box office threads, but revived this one since it has more pages. Can they be merged?
    Anyway, front page is suggesting Wonder Woman opens between $105 and $115 million (this can change either way, of course). The latter puts it on a similar course to Man of Steel's $668 million, IF it doesn't have the massive second weekend drop and can still compete against competition (Man of Steel had brutal competition if I recall).

GotG2 is still on a hot track, but I've seen estimates suggesting it finishes somewhere in the $800 million figure.